By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wait, DID Horizon First Week Global Sales Really Outpace BotW's? (PLEASE READ FIRST POST)

Which did you enjoy more?

Breath of the Wild 402 32.74%

Horizon: Zero Dawn 377 30.70%

I haven't played both yet/Unsure 286 23.29%

See Results 163 13.27%

Total:1,228
RolStoppable said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Wait.....why does it need to do much more than 7 million?

Because this is tbone, so Zelda is going to sell 10m minimum.

Ahhhhh gotcha lol. I was lost like it has to do much more than 7 million well dang how much more?

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Around the Network
TheBlackNaruto said:
tbone51 said:

It depends on many factors. HDZ should hit 7mil+. If its a race between it and zelda for lifetime sales then it needs to do much more than 7mil

Well maybe not that much more. I believe zelda will sell minimum at 7mil lifetime. Thats what i was getting at

deskpro2k3 said:

The gap is too big, Zelda won't outsell Horizon.

What? Do you not know sales my friend! Marathon, and besides shipments might be closer than yyou think (like 3.5mil vs 5mil by end of march)

RolStoppable said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Because this is tbone, so Zelda is going to sell 10m minimum.

Dont give people wrong ideas here xD

Sales don't matter anymore, it's all about how many hours of engagement! Zelda easily wins that.
Although it's a battle between huge and gargantuan. These 2 games are saving me money, I haven't bought anything for 6 weeks now, and it seems at least another 2 weeks to finish Horizon. I might have to move down a bracket in the how many games did you buy this year poll!

Play Horizon for 20 hours, do side quests only: then you will understand why everyone love it so much.
But, in defense of BoftheW, I would be happy with DLC that gave me a hangglider

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Well maybe not that much more. I believe zelda will sell minimum at 7mil lifetime. Thats what i was getting at

Oh okay I got you now lol. And Rol comment just made it funny.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

palou said:
I'm not sure if the experiences profit from being compared to each other.

To OP: I doubt that HZD will sell as much as Zelda in the long run. Nintendo games rely on legs.

Not only that, but HZD had an attach rate of about 3.3% on PS4...TLoZBotW had an attach rate of 100% or more on Switch.  Seems weird but a lot of Limited Edition set were sold besides.

It's ultimately not too fair to compare first weeks sales of a big game on a system that has an installed base of 56 million vs. one that essentially had a base of a little over 1 million...I wouldn't add Wii U sales in as a lot of people were holding off to get the Switch only to find it sold out pretty much everywhere.  Even if you did factor in Wii U, it's still a total attach rate of 9.8%....TLoZBotW for the win!

Stop hating and start playing.

HZD is the much bigger IP, so how is this a surprise? BOTW did great or being a smaller IP, and in the end it really doesn't matter because they both sold very, very well.

BuckStud said:

Not only that, but HZD had an attach rate of about 3.3% on PS4...TLoZBotW had an attach rate of 100% or more on Switch.  Seems weird but a lot of Limited Edition set were sold besides.

It's ultimately not too fair to compare first weeks sales of a big game on a system that has an installed base of 56 million vs. one that essentially had a base of a little over 1 million...I wouldn't add Wii U sales in as a lot of people were holding off to get the Switch only to find it sold out pretty much everywhere.  Even if you did factor in Wii U, it's still a total attach rate of 9.8%....TLoZBotW for the win!

Attach rate is irrelevant here. If you expect HZD to sell 100% then HZD need to sell 55 Million.   BoTW is a launch title for Switch obviously it will have a great attach rate. 

BoTW was not limited by Switch's supply issue that's why you see Zelda outselling the console itself and you cannot just ignore WiiU BoTW because it exist it managed to sell 460K half of the Switch sales in just one month in the USA so its clear that it was not hampered by supply issue on switch. It gained an advantage because of it. WiiU BoTW also manage to sell significant numbers in Japan. 95k for wiiu according to media create.

About the unfair stuff people keeps using as an excuse. Zelda is a big IP from Nintendo. A beloved franchise by many fans. It is being compared to a new IP (unproven ip) from a developer that according to some people here that can only create Good games but not great. A lot of people here even predict that it won't sell more than 3 million LTD. It almost beat that in just 2 weeks selling 2.6 million copies. 

As of this moment HZD is outpacing it and still winning with one month sale.  Zelda has a big chance of winning by lifetime sales.

contestgamer said:
HZD is the much bigger IP, so how is this a surprise? BOTW did great or being a smaller IP, and in the end it really doesn't matter because they both sold very, very well.

You wrote that backwards.Just a heads up!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1