By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Okay, so I've really been itching to get a PS4 Pro, especially since I started playing Horizon ZD.  The primary thing holding me back at this point (other than waiting until E3 to see if there is a price cut) is the lack of assurance I feel regarding the difference it will make compared to my launch PS4. I've seen several people mention how good games look with PS4 Pro on a 4K tv, but I wonder how much is due to the Pro vs. the 4K tv. So what I really want to make sure of before I purchase a Pro is that--with BOTH being played ON A 4K TV--is there a big difference, graphically, between the Pro and the regular PS4?

Im wondering this more than ever now, bc my 4K TV was rated as one of the best in 2016, yet I've actually been quite underwhelmed by Horizon ZD's graphics on my launch PS4. This surprised me after hearing how graphically incredible Horizon ZD was, and so I think the reason must be bc I don't have a PS4 Pro.

Thoughts, input, and experiences appreciated! :)

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:

Okay, so I've really been itching to get a PS4 Pro, especially since I started playing Horizon ZD.  The primary thing holding me back at this point (other than waiting until E3 to see if there is a price cut) is the lack of assurance I feel regarding the difference it will make compared to my launch PS4. I've seen several people mention how good games look with PS4 Pro on a 4K tv, but I wonder how much is due to the Pro vs. the 4K tv. So what I really want to make sure of before I purchase a Pro is that--with BOTH being played ON A 4K TV--is there a big difference, graphically, between the Pro and the regular PS4?

Im wondering this more than ever now, bc my 4K TV was rated as one of the best in 2016, yet I've actually been quite underwhelmed by Horizon ZD's graphics on my launch PS4. This surprised me after hearing how incredible the graphics were, and so I think the reason must be bc I don't have a PS4 Pro.

Thoughts, input, and experiences appreciated! :)

From what I've seen on Digital Foundry's comparisons the more frequent difference seen is that it maintains steady 60fps in some games that were otherwise 30fps. It's certainly capable of better graphics, though, but I wouldn't expect a night-and-day difference.

It seemed to me that the most likely motive for the PS4 Pro was to accomodate PSVR, which the base PS4's hardware will likely struggle to do to some extent going forward. It's definitely worth it if you're interested in VR, then.

Tagging. Hoping you get some good responses from from PS4 Pro/PS4 owners, and not just philosophers. That's all I have to contribute.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

PS4 Pro makes a big difference on a good screen. When I got my XBR75Z9D it was jarring looking at 1080p and especially 720p content. Stuff that looked great on my old XBR52HX909 looked noticeably worse on the new TV even after calibration. The 23" jump in screen size just made the low res content look underwhelming.

Going from my PS4 1200 to the PS4 Pro 7000 made a very huge difference for me. Even patched games like Uncharted 4 which only uses 1440p + upscaling was a delight to gaze upon. I have tested all of the Pro enabled games that have come out so far, and the difference just keeps expanding. Horizon and MLB The Show 17 look much, much better on the Pro than the old 1200.

Going forward, I can only see the gap getting bigger. Even Horizon and MLB The Show 17 were built with PS4 in mind with late Pro support coming. Games that arrive this year will have much more advantage on the Pro thanks to having more time, and having their engines tweaked to support the new technology in the Pro and Scorpio.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

If you were underwhelmed by the graphics of Horizon, then I don't think the Pro will do much for you. I'm not interested in the game, but man does it look incredible. Sounds like you should get a powerful PC.

Around the Network

I went from a ps4 to a Pro. I notice pretty sizable differences and in both cases playing on a 1080p tv.

I do however think there will be a price cut this year of $100. Now you should sell your ps4 now and get a Pro or wait until the price cut and sell your ps4 then.

Then you'll be sorted until the ps5 in 3/4 years.

Ok. Let me be straight with you. And this is coming from arguably one of the biggest sony fans on this site.

4k is overrated.

You will see more of a visual difference from your 8-10ft viewing distance with a PS4+HDR tv in a game that supports HDR than you would see on a PS4pro+4k TV with a game that supports higher rez/4k but doesn't do HDR. That is just the God honest truth.

If you have a PS4 and a 4k tv then you are fine. If you ahve a PS4 = 4kHDR tv you are also fine. You do not need to or have to get a PS4pro.

If you sat 3-4ft from your display? then maybe 4k and a PS4pro would show you a tangible difference. Have you wondered why even in those comparison videos they usully have to zoom in on the image to show you how much better and sharper the pixels look? Thats because from a normal viewing distance and with normal human eyes theer isn't a night and day difference between 4k and 1080p. Yes, its sharper, and if you look for it you would see the difference but its not difference enough to make a truly meaningful impact in how you experince the game.

Thats what HDR does though.

People will tell you different and swear on their children how much better 4k is...... so take what I have said as you wish; but I stand by this. HDR is more relevant than 4k. And you will notice it significantly more.

As for everything else, the PS4pro does offer you an all round better performing game. So if better framerates here and there and better effects here and theer is your thing then go for it.

Mind you, I have a Ps4pro.

As someone who only has the base PS4 and played on an old DLP 1080p and moved up to a nice 4K with HDR and I can say the colors and contrast do make the games pop more and notice details are sharper. I have no experience with the PS4 Pro.

I'm a PS4 Pro owner. In my opinion, the upgrade is not worth it *unless* PS4 is the only platform you care about. It definitely is better than the regular PS4. But, not enough to justify $400. If you already own a PS4, I think your money would be better spent buying a Switch or maybe a Scorpio, if you don't already have an XBONE.

Of course, if you have money to burn, the Pro is definitely nice. Just keep your expectations in check. Like someone else said earlier, the difference is not night and day. Not even close.

I grabbed a 4K TV right before the Pro released. I'm generally not a resolution/fps guy but there is a noticeable improvement. Really though, it's about the games and experience. I jump between the Pro on a 4K to the standard on a1080p tv and never think twice. I don't ever say "WOW THIS LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!" or "This looks like shit in 1080p."  The original is good enough unless you're really obsessed with pixels.