By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Intrinsic said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
Its important to remember that this will not cost you $400 if you sell your old PS4 after transferring over the data. I mean I got $250 for mine so $150 in the end was the cost

True, same thing happened with me. Though I got $200 for mine.... or was it $250. Can't rememeber. I sold my PS4 about a few days before the PS4pro reveal. 

But this is something taht usully gets ignored. I am not outright saying anyone and everyone should buy a PS4pro if they already have a PS4. But it can't be ignored that you can sell off your PS4 and only need to make the difference to get a Pro. So at the end of the day you could be spending as little as $200 for your upgrade.

I got mine for $250 new..... Without having to trade anything in 😏

Around the Network

It's worth the upgrade if you have a 4k tv or you already buy almost all games for PS4. Otherwise you may as well just stick with your vanilla model.

GribbleGrunger said:

So, you're underwhelmed by one, if not thee, most impressive graphical games of this gen, including PC? O ... K. Buy a Scorpio.

Where does it say PC?

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

GribbleGrunger said:

So, you're underwhelmed by one, if not thee, most impressive graphical games of this gen, including PC? O ... K. Buy a Scorpio.

I know; that's what I read, which is why I was surprised when I was underwhelmed. My friend, who has a PS4 as well, has watched me play Horizon several times, and he felt the same way I did about the graphics. I was wondering if it's just bc I so rarely play RPGs and so am unfairly comparing it to more linear games like Uncharted 4, but my buddy who watched me play Horizon played the witcher 3 on PS4. 

So somehow I think it may be my tv and how it works with a 1080p hdmi? All I know is that when I've watched shows thru the apps on my tv (e.g. game of thrones and even The Office on Netflix), I'm continuously impressed with how good it looks (jaw dropping at times in GoT)--even tho neither are streamed in 4K. So I have confidence the Pro will make the difference!

As for Scorpio, I have zero interest. I've been a playstation guy since ps1 bc they have the best exclusives imo, and now more than ever with Horizon, Uncharted TLL, Spider-Man, TLoU 2, Death Stranding, God of War, Detroit, Nex Machina, Pyre, the next SP game, and maybe even Dreams and VR. I bought an XBO on Black Friday for the UHD bluray (primarily), Ori, and cuphead. It's still sitting unopened in the box.

Mr Puggsly said:

Isn't there enough information out there to answer your question.

1. You'll get a sharper picture on 4K TVs.
2. 1080p TVs can also benefit from higher resolutions and less jaggies.
3. Some games will have improved graphics (albeit relatively minor).
4. Old games not designed for Pro can also run better.

These are essentially the only things you need to consider. Is that worth $399 to you? If a price cut happens this year it'll probably be $50.

Lastly, if you aren't very impressed with PS4 graphics, don't expect PS4 Pro to be a game changer.

Well, as you can see from the comments in this thread, the opinions on the PS4 pro vary considerably. That's why I made the thread; I've heard very polarizing sentiments on PS4 pro, and I want to get as many opinions as possible before deciding whether or not to purchase it. I just got a $11K quarterly bonus, so I feel better, financially, about the purchase, but I still have no interest in wasting money on something that wouldn't be a truly significant upgrade. 

Around the Network

Its not a 'huge' difference as a standard PS4 looks good on a 4K screen, seeing 1080p upscales cleanly. The problem is games are not really using higher resolution texture quality, just the same assets rendered at higher pixel count for the most part. The games that make good use of Pro's power look nice and clean on a 4K TV.

But if you are buying a PS4 for the first time, trading up or selling towards one, i don't think the price is exhorbitant and you do get a larger hard drive.

I was able to get a deal on mine BNiB for $300 on a classifieds app. Got the better end negotiating with a scalper a month after launch, guess he was hoping for an availability drought on limited funds and ended up pinched for cash. For that price i'm not complaining, its a great console and much quieter than my launch PS4.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

PS4 Pro gives higher frame rates and is especially worth it if you have a 4K TV, but it's a matter of cost. If you're just interested in bang for buck then it's probably not worth it. For me after spending $5k on a high 75" 4K TV, upgrading both my PS4 & XB1 to PS4P and XB1 S was an easy decision.

My 8th gen collection

aLkaLiNE said:
Intrinsic said:

True, same thing happened with me. Though I got $200 for mine.... or was it $250. Can't rememeber. I sold my PS4 about a few days before the PS4pro reveal. 

But this is something taht usully gets ignored. I am not outright saying anyone and everyone should buy a PS4pro if they already have a PS4. But it can't be ignored that you can sell off your PS4 and only need to make the difference to get a Pro. So at the end of the day you could be spending as little as $200 for your upgrade.

I got mine for $250 new..... Without having to trade anything in 😏

Jaaaaa? Care to elaborate? I'm keeping my original PS4. No trade ins. I'll have set games I'll play on it, and set games I'll play on the Pro.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

pitzy272 said:

I know; that's what I read, which is why I was surprised when I was underwhelmed. My friend, who has a PS4 as well, has watched me play Horizon several times, and he felt the same way I did about the graphics. I was wondering if it's just bc I so rarely play RPGs and so am unfairly comparing it to more linear games like Uncharted 4, but my buddy who watched me play Horizon played the witcher 3 on PS4. 

So somehow I think it may be my tv and how it works with a 1080p hdmi? All I know is that when I've watched shows thru the apps on my tv (e.g. game of thrones and even The Office on Netflix), I'm continuously impressed with how good it looks (jaw dropping at times in GoT)--even tho neither are streamed in 4K. So I have confidence the Pro will make the difference!

As for Scorpio, I have zero interest. I've been a playstation guy since ps1 bc they have the best exclusives imo, and now more than ever with Horizon, Uncharted TLL, Spider-Man, TLoU 2, Death Stranding, God of War, Detroit, Nex Machina, Pyre, the next SP game, and maybe even Dreams and VR. I bought an XBO on Black Friday for the UHD bluray (primarily), Ori, and cuphead. It's still sitting unopened in the box.

Sorry, but even on a badly set up TV you couldn't be underwhelmed by this:

The PS5 Exists. 

I must have low standards then because Horizon Zero Dawns graphics on my launch PS4 blew me away, best graphics ive seen on any open world game. heck i think it looks better than Uncharted 4 and yeah i bet when we get into the small details UC4 probably wins but when it comes to actually seeing the game in motion HZD is just incredible.

Anyway if graphics do matter that much for you then you should get a PRO.