By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Persona 5 how far in are you and hows the experience ?

And as far as ratings go:

97/100 for me.

Around the Network

I just finished it and now I feel empty inside. Its my favorite Persona game to date, I just wished there was more social events. After you max out their ranks, there's not much else you can do with them, It's like they're just another background character. In Persona 4 golden, I feel like there was much more social events, as a group and with your waifu, but I could just be remembering it wrong, haven't played it since last year.

Same boat.

I wish that there was a post game where we can enjoy the school year, do all the social events, hang out with friends, and enjoy the fruits of our labors. 

Well, I made a rant about how the game likes to prevent you from saving for way too long, but aside from that, it's fucking amazing!

The art style is incredible, the story and dialog are at least on par with P4G (excellent), the battle system and daily life are more or less how I remember P4G, but with some convinient tweaks to make it more accessible (not easier).

And the biggest improvement: The dungeons are actually not a chore anymore! They're still the weakest part, achieving "only" a "good" rating in an otherwise excellent game so far.

I'm at the 2nd palace, got the 5th party member and yesterday I lost 40 min of progress because the OP guy of the palace survived the All-Out attack and raped my leader with two consecutive hits, which had full health before

You can read my rant about the saving system here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=227568&page=1#

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Just beat the game. My playtime clocked in at 120 hours. I just barely managed to max out every social link without a single day to spare.

Absolutely incredible. Art style is phenomenal. Music is phenomenal. I love the added complexity to the battle system. I adored the dungeons (though the second-to-last dungeon is a bit too long. Every other dungeon is flawless, however). I loved the bosses. The climactic moments are incredible. The city of Tokyo is a joy to explore and I love the way you open up parts of the map over time. The game is genuinely hilarious at points.

But I can't help the nagging feeling that game is less than the sum of its parts, especially when compared to Persona 4.

Even though the game took me 120 hours, I genuinely feel like the game was about 20 hours too short.
I think the biggest problem came from the fact that most of the conversations between the team happened over text messages. Because of this, there were far fewer moments when the team got together. What made Persona 4 work so well were how well the characters interacted with each other. The characters in Persona 5 seemed more isolated.

It is a game that will be the best game ever once Persona 5 Crimson comes out and makes it even longer. It needs more time to flesh out the characters and have them interact more. As it is, I'm still debating whether it truly is better than Persona 4.

It is a game I fully intend to replay in a month or so when I have more time. A game that takes that long and demands a near-immediate second playthrough is a fantastic game. But I can't get past the nagging feeling that it didn't leave a gigantic hole in my heart like how I felt after I beat Persona 4 the first time.

Around the Network

I just finished up the third palace and so far I find most of the characters to be pretty bland. A hybrid of the two of the three most annoying characters in P4?? Why??? None of them are particularly interesting. The music is also not nearly as good as P4. I bought a PS4 just for this game and so far I regret it.

I'm still at May 9th since my main focus is on switch/3ds but wow my impression of this game so far has surpassed my previous favorites SMT IV & Persona 4 golden. But maybe I'm just in the honeymoon phase

gamertag Brainteeth

psn Brainteeth

ios Brainteeth

Nintendo Network Brainteeth

Instagram Brainteeth

patronmacabre said:
Just beat the game. My playtime clocked in at 120 hours. I just barely managed to max out every social link without a single day to spare.

Absolutely incredible. Art style is phenomenal. Music is phenomenal. I love the added complexity to the battle system. I adored the dungeons (though the second-to-last dungeon is a bit too long. Every other dungeon is flawless, however). I loved the bosses. The climactic moments are incredible. The city of Tokyo is a joy to explore and I love the way you open up parts of the map over time. The game is genuinely hilarious at points.

But I can't help the nagging feeling that game is less than the sum of its parts, especially when compared to Persona 4.

Even though the game took me 120 hours, I genuinely feel like the game was about 20 hours too short.
I think the biggest problem came from the fact that most of the conversations between the team happened over text messages. Because of this, there were far fewer moments when the team got together. What made Persona 4 work so well were how well the characters interacted with each other. The characters in Persona 5 seemed more isolated.

It is a game that will be the best game ever once Persona 5 Crimson comes out and makes it even longer. It needs more time to flesh out the characters and have them interact more. As it is, I'm still debating whether it truly is better than Persona 4.

It is a game I fully intend to replay in a month or so when I have more time. A game that takes that long and demands a near-immediate second playthrough is a fantastic game. But I can't get past the nagging feeling that it didn't leave a gigantic hole in my heart like how I felt after I beat Persona 4 the first time.

I have pretty much the same feelings, a lot of it for me comes from the school side, in Persona 4 you felt like an active participant in the day to day workings of the school, you had your friends there, plus you had lots of other npc's to interact with, it was a real conduit for many of the interactions that took place in the world of P4 a real living breathing school, where as P5's school comes across as a place that the developers had to include because it's been a core component of what constitutes a persona game , but they had no real interest in filling it with the myriad of opportunities that you got with a full year at Iniba , their interest was else where and to me that would have been Ok, except they didn't do much outside school to make up for that and things came across as being overly centred on the Phantom thieves , and those parts when it wasn't seemed fragmented.

I knew that they wouldn't be able to replicate the small/ medium sized town vibe of Iniba nor did they have to,  my feeling in the end was they seemed to want to add more mature content but didn't know how to go about itin the confines of a game based around high schoolers.

It may not have dethroned PS4G but it's a great game.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Review time of Persona 5. It is spoiler free.

While I give the game a 10/10, this review will be mostly critical of the game. It is worthy of the score and a fantastic game, but it still needs to fix several issues to truly elevate it above and beyond.

Let's get all the good parts out of the way. The game has the best art style and music of any game ever made ever. The user interface is incredible. The battles are fun, more complex that its predecessors, and incredibly stylish. Collecting and fusing Personas is as addicting as ever. I adore the way that you discover new places in Tokyo and I wish more games would adopt Persona 5's style of world-building. The game oozes charm. The time system is just as addictive and compelling as ever. The social links are interesting with a few real standouts and I adore the new ways in which social links help you in battle. The dungeons are phenomenal and I adore the puzzles, with the fourth and sixth dungeons being standouts. The difficulty is perfectly balanced. The bosses are incredible. The voice acting is generally very good. The climactic moments in the game are outright phenomenal and heart-pounding.

A few nitpicks before I get to the actual criticisms. The camera is a bit wonky at its default setting, but it is okay if you turn the sensitivity up a bit. The stealth mechanics are finicky and you will often shift on a corner weirdly. Luckily, the stealth mechanics are super forgiving, so it doesn't matter too much. There are too few save points in the second-to-last and last dungeons. The second-to-last dungeon goes on quite a bit too long. Finally, the translation is very wonky at times -- especially with the frequent use of the word cognition. It feels a bit unnatural.

Now for the genuine criticism. While Persona 5 is the longest game in the series and I believe many have claimed that the game may be too long, the exact opposite is true. While the game took me 120 hours to complete, the game is, in fact, about 20 hours too short.

First, the game is overly focused on the main goal. As such, the game is sorely lacking in social events that allow the main cast to communicate and interact with each other. Most of the character interactions happen via IM messaging, which does not carry the same weight as having the characters in the same room talking with other and making fun of each other. Persona 4 and especially Persona 4: Golden were replete with these social events and it allowed the main cast to be a lot more 3-dimensional and lifelike and allowed for tons of humorous and engaging moments. In Persona 5, it often feels like the characters are separate entities. I can easily recall Yosuke and Teddie's snarky interactions with each other; or Kanji and Naoto's confused sexual tension; or Chie and Yukiko's friendship; or Chie and Yosuke's belligerent friendship; or Rise fighting Yukiko for the protagonist's affection; or Yosuke being homophobic towards Kanji at first, but eventually treating him like any jerk male friend would. With Persona 5, it seems all the characters are separate entities, and this is, in part, due to the lack of social events. And when there are social events, they feel very short and empty when compared to the social events in Persona 4. Persona 5 is too focused and it is to its detriment.

A second related major issue is that Ann and Ryuji just aren't as compelling as Chie and Yosuke. The more secondary cast of Persona 5 are generally great and entertaining, but the deuteragonist and tritagonist characters just aren't as likable or engaging as their counterparts in Persona 4.

Finally, more time should have gone into the set-up for the last dungeon. It happens rather suddenly and it feels rushed. I feel that if there was more set up and more time between the second-to-last and last dungeons, it would have been really engaging. The fifth dungeon dungeon also has some unusual pacing, but it is not a major issue.

Persona 5 is a game that I fully believe will be the greatest game ever made once the inevitable expanded remake comes out and adds much needed social events and filler to the game. Persona 5 suffers from being overly focused and it needs silly, pointless filler content and more character interactions to truly reach its potential.

I recall the developers fearing that Persona 5 was going to be too long of a game. The game is, in fact, extremely long, but significantly shorter than it should have been.