By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yes, I give up, Horizon Zero Dawn is amazing.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Amazing game! 378 72.14%

Very good. 88 16.79%

Bad game. 58 11.07%

Total:524
Goodnightmoon said:
Baryonyx said:

I am just stating this from a simple bservation of your behavior, seen until this point and it's for your own good, everyone is free to have whatever opinions they want about everything they personally enjoy, as a individual free human-being they are free to do so, just because they share a different opinion from you doesn't give you the right to falsely accuse anyone from not "Playing a game deep enough like you" for lying, lying for what reasons? Just to have a different opinion or world-perspective on what makes his taste his own taste? Grow up and stop behaving like a narcissistic spoiled person, have some self-respect, having it all your way is only seen as a obnoxious behavior and it doesn't dignify you, so why go through this humiliation? You are only hurting yourself and you aren't gaining any self-respect at all from this, neither do i from wasting my time on the internet and experiencing all sort of shit we shouldn't assume to be real life at all.

Having a different opinion is ok, pretending you played a game when you didn't is not

and assuming someone who has a different opinion than you didn't play the game is worse.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Yes I give up too, it's amaing. I don't care about the invisible walls anymore, too busy enjoying all the sights and things to do in the desert. 30 hours in, lvl 35, still 'on the way' to Meridian.

Where do I find rats btw? Maybe I'm always missing them, I need rat bones so I can finish the upgrades and be done with hunting, clear out some of my inventory.

Great to see you're enjoying the game, the story really picks up later on and I'm interested to hear your take on it.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Goodnightmoon said:
Normchacho said:

I have it. It's great, but the combat isn't in the same stratosphere as Horizons. I actually don't find the controls overall to be nearly as intuitive.

I think you are being hyperbolic, BoTW combat not only feels great but also allows for many creative approaches to combat and it has a degree of strategy an a huge attention to detail.

Also it can be really epic

Yeah, but Zelda feels like a videogame is being played with all the blips and beeps and all that. Combat doesn't feel anywhere near as alive, epic or realistic as it does in Horizon. Plus, Zelda;'s combat hasn't changed since OoT really. It's all the same. I can understand why someone would prefer Horizon's combat over Zelda's. But you're sooooo all about Zelda you can't even begin to understand why somepone would feel this way.

There's this COOL move Alloy does where she can slide beneath her towering enemies and shoot the bow at the same time. It seems like such a small detail but adds SOOOO much to the immersion and enjoyment of the combat. It's truly spectacular to watch! :D

BraLoD said:

You'll only be able to override Thunderjaws after you finish the last cauldron.
It gets easy to kill them when you know what to do, honestly they stopped even touching me, and would go down real quick.

What I do is using the ropecaster weapon to tie it down to the ground, with the best version of it and mods focused on making it penetrate more easily, I could tie one down with 4 ropes, which was pretty quick, and if you know where to shot (in the body to start with, and in the face once it starts wanting to attack you, so it'll get stunned for a little bit) it will go flawlessly, then use the time it is tied down to freeze it with the slingshots bombs of ice (I think it was 4 of them to freeze it as well).
When it's frozen, you can take down the disc launchers on its side very fast, but if you want, you can take the disc weapon before doing the tying + freezing, the point is to take it down quick when it's frozen, so you get it and shot the frozen Thunderjaw with it, a normal one will probably go down with the 6 available disc shots it has if it's frozen all the time, but if you are reluctant, taking the disc launchers after freezing it (which does more damage) has always worked for me, but avoiding using tearblasts and shoting it from the side you took the disc launcher will leave another one available to take after if you miss some shots or can't kill it yet (or just use explosives).

Using the disc launchers on enemies is so freaking good as well, lol. I wish they would let us use those machine and heavy weapons when we please after beating the game, or getting the platinum, just for fun, 'cause the heavy weapons are so good xD

Why go through all that trouble? Hide behind a rock or something else overpowered generated by the terrain that defeats the stupid AI, shoot a couple of Tear arrows at its face to take out the front-mounted machine guns (which are the biggest worry when getting closer) and then one or two Tear arrows at a disc launcher, grab the launcher and finish it. It takes 45 seconds to perhaps 1 minute once you've tried it a few times. Heck; I finished two at the same time using this simple tactic, shots from the disc launcher will tear off more disc launchers, I still had two unused ones when they were both dead.

StreaK said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I think you are being hyperbolic, BoTW combat not only feels great but also allows for many creative approaches to combat and it has a degree of strategy an a huge attention to detail.

Also it can be really epic

Yeah, but Zelda feels like a videogame is being played with all the blips and beeps and all that. Combat doesn't feel anywhere near as alive, epic or realistic as it does in Horizon. Plus, Zelda;'s combat hasn't changed since OoT really. It's all the same. I can understand why someone would prefer Horizon's combat over Zelda's. But you're sooooo all about Zelda you can't even begin to understand why somepone would feel this way.

There's this COOL move Alloy does where she can slide beneath her towering enemies and shoot the bow at the same time. It seems like such a small detail but adds SOOOO much to the immersion and enjoyment of the combat. It's truly spectacular to watch! :D

It's cool to prefer one over the other. You can even like one and dislike the other. I respect your opinion.

I'll say that combat in Zelda has many differences from Skyward Sword which is different from Twilight Princess which is different from Wind Waker etc. They're always adding and removing abilities with each game. Even different weapons require different techniques within the same game (BotW). It's simplified and refined at the same time. The new techniques--the Bayonetta like dodge that slows down time and the perfectly timed shield block--are critical to beating the game. No lock on for arrows, no auto return boomerang, weapon damage, no stab/slice, the addition of runes (Magnesis, Stasis, and Cryonis) add  even more techniques. I could go on.

Thetechniques that worked in past Zelda games just don't work anymore. They actually changed so much that it was initially off putting. Until late in the game when you're heavily armed, even casual enemies like electric bats could easily kill you. 

I've only played Horizon up until the trial that her father asks her to complete (haven't even finished the  trial. I took a long break after buying the game and I think I'll have to start it from scratch) and I've completed Zelda. BOTH FEEL LIKE GAMES! Neither are realistic. With that said, maybe Horizon does it better. I just haven't played enough to say which is better.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
StreaK said:

It's cool to prefer one over the other. You can even like one and dislike the other. I respect your opinion.

I'll say that combat in Zelda has many differences from Skyward Sword which is different from Twilight Princess which is different from Wind Waker etc. They're always adding and removing abilities with each game. Even different weapons require different techniques within the same game (BotW). It's simplified and refined at the same time. The new techniques--the Bayonetta like dodge that slows down time and the perfectly timed shield block--are critical to beating the game. No lock on for arrows, no auto return boomerang, weapon damage, no stab/slice, the addition of runes (Magnesis, Stasis, and Cryonis) add  even more techniques. I could go on.

Thetechniques that worked in past Zelda games just don't work anymore. They actually changed so much that it was initially off putting. Until late in the game when you're heavily armed, even casual enemies like electric bats could easily kill you. 

I've only played Horizon up until the trial that her father asks her to complete (haven't even finished the  trial. I took a long break after buying the game and I think I'll have to start it from scratch) and I've completed Zelda. BOTH FEEL LIKE GAMES! Neither are realistic. With that said, maybe Horizon does it better. I just haven't played enough to say which is better.

I think what he's saying is that Horizons combat is more fluid and faster paced. Which in my opinion it is. They have done a lot to ad depth to the combat in BOTW that was missing in older Zeldas, it's just still a little stiff compared to a lot of modern games.

I'm sort of in the opposite boat that you're in. I've finished and platinumed Horizon but only got about 15 hours into Zelda. There's just been a ton to play lately. I'll finish it eventually I'm sure, I just don't know exactley when.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Normchacho said:
d21lewis said:

I think what he's saying is that Horizons combat is more fluid and faster paced. Which in my opinion it is. They have done a lot to ad depth to the combat in BOTW that was missing in older Zeldas, it's just still a little stiff compared to a lot of modern games.

I'm sort of in the opposite boat that you're in. I've finished and platinumed Horizon but only got about 15 hours into Zelda. There's just been a ton to play lately. I'll finish it eventually I'm sure, I just don't know exactley when.

We've been blessed with too many great games! While I was playing Zelda, my backlog went crazy. Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect, and even The Walking Dead.

I was off from work for the first time in ages and I was so overwhelmed, I just said "Fuck it" and played Gears of War 2 again.

Normchacho said:
SvennoJ said:
Yes I give up too, it's amaing. I don't care about the invisible walls anymore, too busy enjoying all the sights and things to do in the desert. 30 hours in, lvl 35, still 'on the way' to Meridian.

Where do I find rats btw? Maybe I'm always missing them, I need rat bones so I can finish the upgrades and be done with hunting, clear out some of my inventory.

Great to see you're enjoying the game, the story really picks up later on and I'm interested to hear your take on it.

I'm curious as well if the story can get me interested. As with any open world games I've switched off the story for now while exploring the map. The last story mission was over 20 game hours ago. There must be plenty plot to go through after Meridian as every extremity I explore on the map ends in closed off areas. According to the stats I'm at 52% completion. Exploration and upgrades must count heavily for that.

Did this turn into another Horizon vs Zelda thread somewhere in the mix? They are not even the same kind of game lol, the mechanics are too different. It's like comparing Street Fighter to Tekken, both fighting games but wayyyyy different, Street Fighter just happens to be more popular. /shrug

dahuman said:

Did this turn into another Horizon vs Zelda thread somewhere in the mix? They are not even the same kind of game lol, the mechanics are too different. It's like comparing Street Fighter to Tekken, both fighting games but wayyyyy different, Street Fighter just happens to be more popular. /shrug

Aren't SF and Tekken similar? How are they wayyyyy different?