By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Splatoon 2 Testfire runs at 530p undocked and 720p when docked

There's no way this is what the actual full game will run at when it releases. Nintendo wouldn't let that slide. I mean, the first Splatoon at least 720p even on the Wii U and we know the Switch is a lot more powerful than that.  It's not even a demanding game, at least I don't think so.  

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs at 1080p, and I would say that looks easily more graphically demanding than Splatoon (Even though Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a Wii U port, Splatoon just doesn't seem as graphically demanding, it seems more simple than it). It would never make any sense for this game to run at that resolution other than that it only runs like that for the testfire and not the actual full release. 

Probably just like that for the testfire, because it doesn't make any sense otherwise for the game to be running at that.

If the full game releases and it's running like that, then what the fuck Nintendo. 

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Sh1nn said:

from neogaf 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232737112&postcount=2759

Well, this comment would have been good to include in your original post:

"I think it's fairly obvious that this game uses dynamic resolution undocked with the beginning of a match looking the worst. Later parts look alright, although likely not native. The menus are all native, which makes it obvious. With how fast paced this game is, it's not a problem imo."

Also, this is important:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z04z5/switch_screenshot_compression_and_downsizing_is/

I think we should wait for a more reliable analysis.

jpeg comression would not affect native resolution.

Glob said it could be dynamic res like in Zelda. (its in the OP)

And we still have 5/6 more years with this thing.

Ultrashroomz said:
Yea I'll admit, the game looked kinda muddy on my monitor, and it was unpleasant.

I could've sworn the game looked better back at the Switch demo event I went to. :/

Maybe those were the dev units which had the cpu's at 2ghz not 1ghz, twice as powerful in cpu terms. I think most of the issues here could be cpu related.

spemanig said:
Barkley said:

Can you have higher standards please? Not sure how I was being "overly dramatic" all I said was that after seeing this I'm reconsidering buying the machine so soon which I already had doubts on.

You may find this acceptable, but as someone who isn't interested in portable gaming paying $300 for a machine that woud have been underpowered in 2013 sucks.

The docked screenshot looks like crap.

"Underpowered." There is not a device today with a formfactor like this that is as powerful as this. It is anything but underpowered. That's like calling an iPad underpowered and then comparing it to gaming rigs.

You know immediately preceeding what you bolded it does say "As someone who isn't interested in portable gaming." I don't care about form-factor, I'll be using it as a home console 99% of the time.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Most people didn't, but suddlenly someone post a number and everything is horrible.

I noticed...

...how superior is the right stick for aiming compared to motion controls. Viva the pro controller!

Pro controller has motion controls too, in both cases they are optional anyways. I can't agree, motion control for aiming is the definitive way to play Splatoon.

the footage Ive seen looks great, im really just surprised that it dips that low in portable mode. BotW can hit 900p with a fully rendered dynamic open world and Mario Kart 8 DX can hit a full 1080p when docked.

but now lets compare. Splatoon on the Wii U played at 720p 60fps, and now Splatoon 2 on the NX will run at 720p 60fps. so either they cramming this game to the brim with new content and more detailed maps, or something is seriously wrong with the Switch, because this game should really be seeing at least 900p

Sh1nn said:
sundin13 said:

Well, this comment would have been good to include in your original post:

"I think it's fairly obvious that this game uses dynamic resolution undocked with the beginning of a match looking the worst. Later parts look alright, although likely not native. The menus are all native, which makes it obvious. With how fast paced this game is, it's not a problem imo."

Also, this is important:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5z04z5/switch_screenshot_compression_and_downsizing_is/

I think we should wait for a more reliable analysis.

jpeg comression would not affect native resolution.

Glob said it could be dynamic res like in Zelda. (its in the OP)

Its not the Jpeg compression (although that is a problem for other reasons), the console downsizes screenshots because they are taken at the OS level. Not sure if/how that would effect sub 720 though.

We have clear examples of native 1080 being downsized to 720, and the compression on the screens not doing games justice. Even if the resolution is at 530 at the start of a match, the screens posted in the OP may or may not be representative of what the game actually looks like.

Based on the testfire, it looks great given the art-style. Still needs some polish, but I'm okay with the slight graphical bump we got from Wii U.

Just to clarify, I'm disappointed that we don't have a more stable resolution, but I'm a PQ snob when it comes to movies and this game doesn't bother me -even on a 120" projection screen.

Maybe it's the fact that 60fps is the bigger priority for me, maybe it's the fact that I routinely pull out my 240p/480i consoles and still have a blast with them (hooked up through component, of couse - composite makes my eyes bleed) or maybe it's as simple as playing the original Splatoon the day before gives some context.

Nintendo still has their work cut out for them. Even in this rocky state, though, it's still mostly pleasant to look at.

EDIT: I'll capture some footage @1080p vs 720p today and see what kind of difference that makes. Seems like these might be "screenshots" from the Switch itself.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Yerm said:
the footage Ive seen looks great, im really just surprised that it dips that low in portable mode. BotW can hit 900p with a fully rendered dynamic open world and Mario Kart 8 DX can hit a full 1080p when docked.

but now lets compare. Splatoon on the Wii U played at 720p 60fps, and now Splatoon 2 on the NX will run at 720p 60fps. so either they cramming this game to the brim with new content and more detailed maps, or something is seriously wrong with the Switch, because this game should really be seeing at least 900p

Honestly if Mario Kart 8 Deluxe can run at 1080p 60fps then I see no reason why Splatoon 2 can't run at 1080p60fps since Splatoon 2 doesn't even seem like a graphically super demanding game.