By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yooka Laylee remove 'controversial' Youtuber JonTron from game

VGPolyglot said:
Lawlight said:

What's a safe space?

A place where people are safe from harassment.

Sorry to ask this but what's your definition of harassment?

Around the Network

For people who don't know what freedom of speech is:

Freedom of speech is the right to articulate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship, or societal sanction.

Notice the last 2 words.

Bandorr said:
fluky-nintendy said:

So instead of reacting to what people say in a debate or trying to speak out why you disagree with this controversial things - sometimes stupid, sometimes probably correct but still controversial, trying to normalize punishing people by what they say is free speech now? If you are scaring people away from talking they minds by removing them from privilleges or from working or whatever, is actually forbidding them from free speech by scaring them.

You say something racist. A company you work for distances themself from you.

You have the choice - do you say something also racist again? And if so another company has the right to distance themself from you.

Cause and effect. It is a chain reaction.

He has the right to spew as much racism as he wants. And the companies have the right to stay far far away from him. That is the word "free" you seem to be missing.

Oh, you mean like how Colin Moriarty is a "racist" and got fired?

VGPolyglot said:
fluky-nintendy said:

Can you point me when he was being racist? Was it when he reading some stats about people of color commiting crimes?

He says that rich blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, he says that Mexicans are trying to commit ethnic enclaves to secede from the United States, he wants a white majority state, etc. How is that not racist?

I think people read too much into it because he is famous, I get that. He wasn't really prepared for that debate also, hence why somethings he said don't make too much sense. I still do not agree he was being a racist but got baited by a masterbaiter into saying things he wasn't confortable at, at that time. The other guy say stupid shitt all the time like Japanese people are the most racist asians and nobody complained about it. It's just 2 dumb guys talking things they know very little about. But one gets away with it, the other does not and is punished irl, because free speech gets you consequences if you say things that are controversial.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...
Lawlight said:

Freedom of speech is the right to articulate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship, or societal sanction.

Notice the last 2 words.

So...we can say anything we want and not be criticized for it?

That's the dumbest thing i ever heard...With your logic, i can go around shouting "atheists are all evil" or "gays are disgusting" and deflect any sort of response against me?

This sounds like the anti PC way of pulling out the victim card

Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:
VGPolyglot said:

He says that rich blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, he says that Mexicans are trying to commit ethnic enclaves to secede from the United States, he wants a white majority state, etc. How is that not racist?

I think people read too much into it because he is famous, I get that. He wasn't really prepared for that debate also, hence why somethings he said don't make too much sense. I still do not agree he was being a racist but got baited by a masterbaiter into saying things he wasn't confortable at, at that time. The other guy say stupid shitt all the time like Japanese people are the most racist asians and nobody complained about it. It's just 2 dumb guys talking things they know very little about. But one gets away with it, the other does not and is punished irl, because free speech gets you consequences if you say things that are controversial.

"Read too much into it" .... lol, his comments (many of them) speak for themselves. And he's hardly "famous", gimme a break, this will be his 15 minutes of fame and it's generally for stupidity. 

Who cares honestly. I dont support Youtuders. Most of them are spoilet little kids that make money doing basically nothing. I dont mind JonTrons episodes however just like that tool Colin, if they wish to work in show biz than they need to shut there mouths and keep there childhoof behavior off social media. Footballers etc have to do the exaxt same thing. Its part of being a grown up.

monocle_layton said:
Lawlight said:

Notice the last 2 words.

So...we can say anything we want and not be criticized for it?

That's the dumbest thing i ever heard...With your logic, i can go around shouting "atheists are all evil" or "gays are disgusting" and deflect any sort of response against me?

This sounds like the anti PC way of pulling out the victim card

Yes, you should be able to say those. Those sentences are dumb but you should be able to say it.

I wonder what your thoughts on blasphemy laws are.

Lawlight said:

Notice the last 2 words.

There is no single definition of freedom of speech, various different countries have varying definitions of it. This is the US First Ammendment:

Freedom of religion: The First Amendment of the United States Constitution prevents the government from setting up or establishing an official religion of the country. American Citizens have the freedom to attend a church, mosque, synagogue, temple, or other house of worship of their choice. They can also choose to not be involved in any religion as well. Because of the First Amendment, we can practice our religion however we want to. 
Freedom of speech: The First Amendment of the United States Constitution stops the government from making any laws that may stop us from saying what we feel or think. The American people have the right to share their opinions with other people or criticize the government.
Freedom of the press: Freedom of the press means we have the right to get information from many different sources of information. The government does not have the power to control what is broadcasted on radio or TV, what is printed in books or newspapers, or what is offered online. American citizens can request time on TV to respond to any views that they disagree with. They can also write letters to newspapers, which might be printed for others readers to see. Americans can also pass out leaflets that state their opinions. They may also their own online web pages that have their opinions.
Freedom of assembly: American citizens have the right to come together in private and public gatherings. Citizens can join groups for religious, social, recreational, or political reasons. By organizing in order to act on a common idea and accomplish a common goal, American citizens can more easily spread their ideas to others.
Right to petition:  The right to petition the government means that American citizens can ask for adjustments or changes in the government. Citizens can do this by collecting signatures for petitions and sending them to elected representatives. They can also call, e-mail, or write to their elected representatives as well. Another way they can petition the government is by creating support groups that try to cause change by lobbying the government.

Queue accusations of censorship and stifling of free speech by people who don't understand either of those concepts.
Aaaaaaaand Go!