By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect: Andromeda Meta Thread - 76 PC / 74 PS4 / 76 XB1

AmericanAli said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Pretty sure that The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn have secured WRPGs reputation for this gen. Besides, I thought Fallout 4 was pretty well received, wasn't it?

And also, in what way have JRPGs made a "huge comeback"?

What I was saying was that the big western rpg IP's that made western rpg's big last gen, namely: Fallout, Mass Effect and Dragon Age (?) saw in the eyes of fans a decrease in quality. I barely follow these games but I often hear people who loved Fallout 3 say how much disappointed they are with fallout 4 and bethesda and now we have Mass Effect Andromeda which I saw in all of the "dislike" comments I read on Youtube that people were apparently also not satisfied with the latest Dragon Age (?). I don't know, again, I don't follow these games much so don't quote me  on this.

And as for the Witcher 3, the Witcher franchise started to become mainstream this gen and was barely noticed last gen, but it still seems like one of the few exceptions in my theory. 

And as for Horizon, I am about to finish the game and absolutely love it but I don't know if it just me but it reminds me more of open world action-adventure games like tomb raider and far cry instead any of the recent western rpg's. Even its rpg elements are more comparable to the Rpg elements of Borderlands than anything else IMHO.

And as for Jrpg's: If you are like me and are mainly a jrpg gamer when it comes to role playing games on home consoles, then chances are that you had a hard time playing/finding rpg's last gen. Final fantasy was in a bad shape back then and Persona,Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts were nowhere to be found on home consoles. Fast forward to today, Final Fantasy is back and the general consensus is more positive than FFXIII and it is also the best it has ever been sales-wise. Dragon Quest's and Kingdom Hearts' next big entries and long awaited sequels are planned to be released on home consoles (mainly the PS4) and then we also have new Jrpgs that either weren't mainstream before or completely new IP's like Nioh, Nier and Persona 5 all of which have a meta score of 88+. Then we have the Jrpg juggernaut Pokemon which, thanks to Pokemon Go is more popular than ever before since the early 2000 and the sales show that too.

So yeah as a jrpg player I am having a great time and maybe it is just me (it probably is just me) but western rpg players seem to not have as a great time as they used to IMHO.

What are you talking about?

Both Fallout 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition were critically acclaimed and sold very well

You are visiting neogaf way too much, they hate everything there, It's just a depressing place

Around the Network

So some of the results are in and erm... a little mixed. The game currently sits at 78 on PC, 75 on PS4, and 77 on XB1.

Here are some excerpts from reviewers:

IGN: "Mass Effect: Andromeda is an expansive action role-playing game with a few great moments that recapture the high points of the landmark trilogy that came before it, and energetic combat and fantastic sound effects contribute to a potent sci-fi atmosphere. Without consistently strong writing or a breakout star in its cast to carry it through the long hours and empty spaces, however, disappointments like a lack of new races, no companion customization, and major performance problems and bugs take their toll." (7.7/10)

GameSpot: "In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly. Its worlds and combat shine, but its writing and missions falter--and the relative strength of the former is not enough to compensate for the inescapable weakness of the latter. As a Mass Effect game, Andromeda falls well short of the nuanced politics, morality, and storytelling of its predecessors. For me, the series has always been about compelling characters and harrowing choices, so to find such weak writing here is bitterly disappointing. Yet even after 65 hours, I still plan on completing a few more quests. The game can't escape its shortcomings, but patient explorers can still find a few stars shining in the darkness." (6/10)

Eurogamer: "In some respects, Andromeda is most disappointing when it's at its best. There's a mission in the opening third that conjures up the spectre of Virmire - a raid on a kett facility, accompanied by a crack squad of angaran guerrillas. The shift in mood and focus is faintly miraculous: the music kicks up, the bugs ease off, the dialogue straightens out of its slouch and the combat goes into overdrive. There are familiar but pleasantly ghoulish secrets to uncover, rooms to comb for hints about kett society, and a couple of heated, deftly worded interactions with companions that genuinely get your blood pumping.

It's gripping stuff, and a reminder of the greatness of the Mass Effect trilogy - its intelligent reworkings of pulp sci-fi cliche, the taut splendour of its scenarios and aesthetic, the colour and dexterity of its writing. All that's still in here somewhere, I think. But then you pop out the other end of the mission, back into Andromeda's labyrinth of drudgery and obfuscation, and remember that you're a long way from home." (Link)

Polygon: "After a number of complaints, it might seem odd to end on such a positive note. Let’s be clear: I’m conflicted about Mass Effect: Andromeda. There’s a lot of roughness throughout the game, and the technical issues, while not game-breaking, are often incredibly distracting.

But it’s my time with the cast that I’m still thinking about, and the mysteries about the world that haven’t been answered that make me feel like I’m waiting once again for a new Mass Effect game. And if I’m judging a game by where it leaves me, Andromeda succeeds, even if it stumbled getting there." (7.5/10)

RPG Site: "Andromeda has a spirit that I don’t want to see squashed by technical failures and a few questionable design decisions. Andromeda is ambitious and above all else it has heart - the deeper I got into the game, the more glued to it I became. Had it been anything less I would’ve sat my controller down and given up, but the journey most certainly made the struggle worth it.

Ryder’s tale feels like a solid beginning to something new. It needs more than a little polish, and probably some extensive work under the hood, but Andromeda has reassured me Mass Effect can exist without the Citadel, Earth, Shepard or even Ryder. This new galaxy left me with more questions than answers, but I’m okay with that. I hope another entry to the series means more exploration into every corner of humanity’s new home." (7/10)

lonerism said:
AmericanAli said:

What I was saying was that the big western rpg IP's that made western rpg's big last gen, namely: Fallout, Mass Effect and Dragon Age (?) saw in the eyes of fans a decrease in quality. I barely follow these games but I often hear people who loved Fallout 3 say how much disappointed they are with fallout 4 and bethesda and now we have Mass Effect Andromeda which I saw in all of the "dislike" comments I read on Youtube that people were apparently also not satisfied with the latest Dragon Age (?). I don't know, again, I don't follow these games much so don't quote me  on this.

And as for the Witcher 3, the Witcher franchise started to become mainstream this gen and was barely noticed last gen, but it still seems like one of the few exceptions in my theory. 

And as for Horizon, I am about to finish the game and absolutely love it but I don't know if it just me but it reminds me more of open world action-adventure games like tomb raider and far cry instead any of the recent western rpg's. Even its rpg elements are more comparable to the Rpg elements of Borderlands than anything else IMHO.

And as for Jrpg's: If you are like me and are mainly a jrpg gamer when it comes to role playing games on home consoles, then chances are that you had a hard time playing/finding rpg's last gen. Final fantasy was in a bad shape back then and Persona,Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts were nowhere to be found on home consoles. Fast forward to today, Final Fantasy is back and the general consensus is more positive than FFXIII and it is also the best it has ever been sales-wise. Dragon Quest's and Kingdom Hearts' next big entries and long awaited sequels are planned to be released on home consoles (mainly the PS4) and then we also have new Jrpgs that either weren't mainstream before or completely new IP's like Nioh, Nier and Persona 5 all of which have a meta score of 88+. Then we have the Jrpg juggernaut Pokemon which, thanks to Pokemon Go is more popular than ever before since the early 2000 and the sales show that too.

So yeah as a jrpg player I am having a great time and maybe it is just me (it probably is just me) but western rpg players seem to not have as a great time as they used to IMHO.

What are you talking about?

Both Fallout 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition were critically acclaimed and sold very well

You are visiting neogaf way too much, they hate everything there, It's just a depressing place

I have never been there. VGC is the only forum that I follow from time to time + youtube comment section 

As for this game, I never played any Mass Effect so I couldn't care less

As long as Bioware don't give me another Dragon Age 2

Scores are good but not amazing. Still worth playing.

Around the Network

Will only pick this game up now if it's cheap or I have nothing else to play... the videos of the facial animations, etc don't do the game any favors either.

Yep, I will definitely pick this up a) when it's cheaper or b) with all DLC included if they make DLCs for it.
It was going to be day 1 but there are better games out there at this point.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Damn! When I predicted an 82, I thought I was lowballing it. I thought the Bioware fanboyss in the press would keep it from sinking. Good to see people looked past that and are calling the game out on its flaws. The game looks like a slapped together indie that got a AAA boost in the last 6 months. Okay, maybe that's exaggerating, but the game looks subpar even before getting into the story, which is a confirmed dud now.

Burn in hell, MEA. Take a LOT of time off to figure out what to do with this series before trying again.

BraLoD said:
By the way Raven, add the link of the Metacritic page(s) to the OP.

Done

I did expect for the scores to go that low, even if my original prediction was an 80. But I'll buy it regardless, because my main focus will be the multiplayer. I'm just hoping that mode doesn't have all the shortcomings the single player has.