By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Colin leaving Kinda Funny

It’s with a heavy heart and great sadness that I announce my resignation from Kinda Funny, effective immediately.

This morning, the guys and I had a constructive conversation, and feel that, with our separate visions for the future and for the direction of the company, it’s time to go our separate ways. I want to be clear that this was my decision. Just as we collaborated as friends, so too do we part. I hope you continue to support them. I simply want to reconnect with what’s most important to me. Politics, history, philosophy. Reading books. Talking about things I feel are most impactful and essential for a person like me.

I want to thank everyone for their support of me -- and us -- over these years. When I started writing about games professionally in 2002 as a freshman in college, never, ever, did I think I’d reach the heights I did. I owe a great deal to an audience that generously sustained me, supported me, and followed me, and I also owe a lot to those who gave me opportunities to begin with. I will always remember and be grateful for this entire experience.

Opportunities are already popping up for me, bringing me in a new, different, and exciting direction, a direction that I feel makes perfect sense for me. Obviously, you haven’t seen or heard the last of me. Far from it. I hope that when I return with what’s next, you will support me there, just as you’ve supported me over these many years.

Your Friend, -Colin

https://www.facebook.com/appealtoheaven/posts/10103367920696739

Around the Network

Damn

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Oh thank god, I cant stand him.One thing is to be a fan of a company, other is to be completely unberable when talking about other companies that are not in his "I like" list.For as hard as it is to be, a journalist should be as impartial as he can be, or at least be reasonable and be straight foward about your biased vision about them, but Colin was none of that.

For all the theatrics that Jim Sterling puts on, I respect his opinion and judgement.He may be silly at times, but he makes constructive arguments, and he is sincere without being hateful.Cant say the same for Colin.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Why did leave? Over what drama?

I know that he's done some political things, but imo he shouldn't leave because of that.

That's too bad. I thought he was very honest about his opinions. Hope he finds something else great to do.

Around the Network

I really only liked Greg and Tim, but it seems it was what he wanted and best for him to pursuit something else.

Guess it was only a matter of time.

After watching the broadcast they did this morning to talk about it, I can probably clear up for some people who weren't following closely.

Basically, there were creative differences building for a long time over what the direction of the group would be, with Colin pitching hard-hitting political projects (both relating to games and not) to contrast the sillier, lighter tone the other three were going for. Colin had recently launched a successful talk and interview show, Colin was Right, which was gaining traction. Meanwhile, he started to appear on other shows of note, including the Rubin Report and just this morning, Glenn Beck.

The differences came to a catalyst last week when Colin tweeted a joke at women's expense on International Woman's Day, which sparked a controversy, but perhaps not quite so severe as the controversy over Greg Miller's official KF response to the joke, which many saw as the other three throwing him under the bus.

Rather than fester a growing divide in the audience, it seems Colin decided to resign so he could pursue his own projects and speak his mind without worrying about how it would affect the livelihood of his friends (and they emphasize that nothing on their end proceeded with bad blood or anything). It's unclear what he is doing next.

tl;dr: Colin resigned in good faith over creative differences and to say what he wants without consequence to other people he cares about. The controversial tweet was not the reason, but it is probably why this is happening now and not later.

Personally, I'm sad to see this happen, as I felt like Colin's sharper tongue and fearlessness made for a better dynamic at KF, and I'm not sure I'll have a reason to follow them much anymore if they double down on the sillier, safer stuff. I rarely actually agree with what Colin says politically, but his points are always founded in education and reading, and it's always been healthy to have someone with such a strong foundation challenge my ideas.

Bummed this probably means an end to the best duo in Playstation podcasting for over a decade, but I'm glad he's not retreating into silence.

Its for the best. I didn't have an issue with him per se, but he's notoriously the pessimistic/negative energy of the group.

Kinda Funny should replace him with an Xbox guy and widen their audience by covering all 3 platforms more closely.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S