By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

zero129 said:
naruball said:

Yes, no one is forcing you listen to my opinion. Feel free to keep believing what you do. I gave context, you ignored it.

The point of responding to me in the first place is beyond me if you're gonna disregard what I said because I haven't played it. But the way you've responded to everyone on this thread makes your intentions more than clear.

What i find amazing is how many Sony gamers in this thread has problems with a game they never played.

Yes, god forbid someone expresses an opinion on a game that is not 100% positive and does not own that console. Unheard of and dispicable. Also, definitely hate. No other explanation possible.

Around the Network
golfgt170 said:

As you can see, we are a bit torn between critics and gamers. a whopping 21% differnce surely is not something to go by. Sure 7.6 is still great (hence 7/10 from sterling), but to go up to 97%. And for a zelda game when previous entries where so close in scores? Too much to go by...

Did you look at the actual scores? A lot of tens and nines and a lot of zeros. And if you read the zeros, you often read: "I didn't play the game, but ...". That is the result of a hate-train. A reason why I say the average is useless for such stuff, you should take the median. The median for Zelda:BotW userscores on Meta is nine.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

archer9234 said:

(1) Those upgrades don't require a person to stop and start momvement. You are stuck at a certain speed. That is what causes the hate. If Link had no Stamnia bar. And just let you upgrade Link's speed, over time. No one would really care. As it is. It's causing people to run, slow, run, slow, run, slow. People like holding forward, and that's it. You can argue. Than don't use run. Than why is it in the game? It's like the old Wolverine games. What's the point of having his claws. If they gave damage, to him. The Stamina bar is also not realistic. If you want realism. Than actaully do it. Allow Link to run, for a minute. Link isn't some fat guy, out of shape.

(2) I don't think its cute that I can't get on the Haneto tower. Because my stamina bar, is one inch shy of the first ledge.

(1) You don't have to stopo movement, you are reduced to jogging speed for a time while stamina refills.

(2) Well, I tricked my way onto it. I have now activated all towers with only one stamina upgrade. If one way don't work, try another one. Be creative. The game allows for it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

potato_hamster said:

(1) Who said anything about stopping to recover stamina? When has that ever been mentioned by anyone besides you? Why does it matter that you can run faster now? That's totally irrelevant. No is is complaining about his speed, just that running is arbitrarily hampered for no good reason. And besides, why does the stamina meter only kick in when you're running? What is it about running that makes Link practically shit his pants after about five seconds while he can literally jog for days? This is supposed to be less annoying to me? Okay.

(2) I haven't made fun of anyone's opinion, thanks. Here you are practically labelling someone who disagrees with you as a "hater". Why on earth would I be bitter that people are enjoying this game? That doesn't make any sense at all.  I have no problem that some people think that BorW is the greatest game ever. What I do have a problem with is people having a mental breakdown when someone has valid criticisms of the game. Despite the reviews, this game is far from perfect, and it's good that others are acknowledging that.

(1) Yes, poutside here, I was referering to stuff outside the thread. And you would realize that, if you weren't to busy searching for opportunities to spread venom and read instead.

(2) Well no, comparing well established game mechanics outside of Zelda and beloved by many with a boulder before your door and always harping on that they are annoying is absolutely accepting that other people than you can like such game mechanics. You show your love about the stupid people that kiss Capcoms, Namcos and Nintendos feet for putting in such annoyances, aren't you. Because these three companies put stamina bars into their games to punish the gamers and some guys do love them for that. Sure. Tell everyone that is respect for other peoples opinion. Probably you believe it yourself.

And nice try pinning the Jim Sterling hate on me. I read it and was OK with it, because he says his critic as his personal opinion. You on the other hand utter your critic towards the stamina bar (something completely random) as a universal fact, as if nobody ever liked this game mechanic.

potato_hamster said:
Slarvax said:

You know what's annoying? Running out of ammo in shooters. Why can't I just have infinite ammo? It's much more fun not having to ever reload my weapon and alway be shooting. Where's the fun in stopping the action for 5 seconds just so I can't have unlimited power and be unstoppable?

Of course. Because reloading your gun (something that's found in practically all shooters) is totally the same as a tedious, arbitrary stamina system that has plenty of work arounds that renders it more annoying than it does to offer a challnege. Nice false equivalence.

Exactly. It is much, much better to compare stamina with a boulder before your door is a valid comparison. Because no one likes stamina, because the potato_hamster say so. And he is always right. He respects other peoples opinion, but a stamina bar is stupid, because that is no opinion, if it's potatos opinion it is godlike truth. You can see that nearly nobody buys or applauds Monster Hunter or Souls games, because of the stupid stamina bar nobody can like them.

Around the Network
golfgt170 said:
Metallox said:

I hope you understand that a lot of these notes are just plain and simple trolling, tens and zeros included.

Overall, can't believe there's this much buzz just because the game dropped one point in Metacritic. Jim's review is decent and seems honest (and I agree with him on some points, there's a reason why I haven't truly enjoyed 30 of 35 hours in this game).

Already answered: ALL games in metacritic user score, get troll 0%. No exceptions there. What i meant is that this zelda is way to low compared to the 97% it got even when compared to the other zelda games

The number of hate votes correlate to the public image. BotW entered the media as near perfect game and some sad people cannot bear this and have to make troll votes. Same sort of people by the way as the ones DDOSing Jim Sterling.

golfgt170 said:
As i already told: ALL GAMES in metacritic go by the same rules. All get trolling 10/10 from fans and all get 0% from trolling gamers that want to reduce the score. Zelda, Horizon, Nioh, Gears of war, Halo etc. ALL games get the same love/hate.

No, how prominent they are in the media is relevant. if Horizon only gets a 89 critic score it doesn't get the trollers so much activated than a 97 critics score.

potato_hamster said:
specialk said:

There are horses in the game too that go much faster than Link can even sprint.

Why doesn't Link just walk as quickly as the horse runs?

Why doesn't Link shoot lazer beams out of his eyes instead of using a sword? Got any other ridiculous false equivalents while you're at it?

He is no comparison to the master of false equivalents, like a boulder blocking the door equals stamina bar that nobody ever liked in any game.

potato_hamster said:
Slarvax said:

Ah yes. Because stopping the flow of the most action packed, and fast pace genre is perfectly fine because other games do it. But the same completely ruins the experience in a much more slow paced, complex and toned down game. Move out, Dark Souls! Stopping to heal? Annoying and no challenge. Characters should have infinite stamina because it makes perfect sense! Just like in real life: run and dont stop.

Right, pigeon holing one gameplay mechanic so that it sounds the same as another so you can make more false equivalences is a totally valid way of arguing. Great job.

This is just silly. This is the same as the people that argue that the terrible control scheme in Resident Evil (Ps1) is actually better because it's easier to fumble with the controls while you're scared and thus it creates tension. Well no - sorry, that's just a poor design.

LOL. You really respecting other peoples opinion and what they can take fun out. But if potato hamster is unable to understand something or doesn't like it himself, everyone who does is silly. Just the respect the potato shows to other peoples opinion. Because he is a respecting dude, this potato!

archer9234 said:
sc94597 said:

Yes, it "teases" you to make your character better by playing the game more. You are rewarded for your effort. That is important, and something many modern games have lost. They make you too capable and too powerful too early. Usually in BOTW there is another way to get onto the ledge though, without having to upgrade, but as Jim noted in his review when you have limited stamina you can't do certain things like tame highly desirable mounts, climb ledges in the rain, or fly indefinitely. 

Imagine how much would be lost in BOTW if the last one were possible. You could just fast travel to a high peak and then fly to anywhere you want. There has to be some limits in order to incentivize exploration and progression rather than make the game a checklist simulator like many other open-world titles.

Why would a sail cloth make you fly? That makes no sense. A better one would be the magnet ability. Stand on one platform, and fly anywhere. I did edit my post:

Basically, it's easier to max out the stamina bar. Over your health. Because, dying is less anoying. Than all the other stuff. Seriously. I rather die, with only having 3 hearts. VS traveling really far. Get to the tower. And find out I can't reach the top. Because I have not enough stamina. I wasted my time, getting that heart container. Thanks to the check points.

Tieing the health and stamina system, to that point system. Is what is causing the overall problem. Instead of having the heart containers function as the previous games.

Well, I found solutions to climb all towers with only one stamina upgrade. But the point really is, that the game allows for different solutions. You maxing out stamina or me finding other ways is all OK. That's the cool game design, giving you options to solve a problem.