By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jim Sterling’s site under attack after Zelda: BotW review

monocle_layton said:
onionberry said:

actually, say goodbye. 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1352178

The comments are hilarious. Seems like not many people enjoyed his presence 

He quit because some people didnt like him? Makes me think he had a plan to leave before this happened. Unless this is his way of comedy?

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Slarvax said:

(1) Or you could do it my way: make your way through pillars of Ice with cryonis. You can climb waterfalls this way, too. Or you could use stasis on some big item, send it flying towards the island, and hold on to it.

(2) @ the stamina bar problem: I will never understand this problem. In past Zelda games, Link has always had 2 movement speeds: walking and jogging. Skyward Sword added running. BotW now has 4: sneaking, walking, jogging, and running. If you hate the stamina bar, you could just jog at regular speed like old Zelda games. You didn't complain it was too slow then, why now? You can also buff your speed now, extend your stamina bar, instantly recover it, upgrade it, wear different clothes to manage it better, etc.

But wait, you're telling me I have to watch it refill for 3 seconds (while I still jog, unlike in SS)? Fun ruined.

(1) Yeah, I remembered that after sending a post. I actually moved through a river one time this way. There are even more ways I left out: you could make something you can stand on float through the air and airsail to the destination or you could freeze an object in time and charge it with kinetic energy and at the last moment hop onto it to ride the cannonball.

(2) Yeah, was wondering too why it is annoying for running. I run until my stamina is nearly depleted and keep jogging while my stamina replenishes for another sprint.

You do realize that you're creating work-arounds for what others consider to be annoyances, right? The fact that you can work around it, or tolerate it, doesn't mean it's that tolerable to others, or that the work arounds make it less annoying.

Imagine if someone but a giant boulder in front of your front door that allowed you to only open the door a foot. When you complain about it, they say, "welll you can still squeeze through the door, or you can take your door off it's hinges and hop over the boulder, or you could you could just use the door on the back of your house. It's really not a problem having that boulder there if you think about it" I'm pretty sure you'd still prefer to have the boulder removed so you can use the door the way you'd like without the work arounds.

It's just one guy's opinion. I got over it rather quickly.

Again, though--as I stated in some other post, even in games I don't like, I can see the quality and the flaws. I can look at Pokemon, Madden, or whatever and say "It's not for me but I can see why its audience would like it. If you're amongst that audience, this is exactly what you would like about it." Instead of saying "I doing like this and you shouldn't like it, either. Here's why!"

There has to be balance. Jim normally does a good job of this--though he overreacts a lot. There was some big game recently, that he panned while giving a lesser, similar game a great review and a higher score. I was okay with that because his opinion lined up with mine. I can't get mad when the pendulum swings the other way.

d21lewis said:
It's just one guy's opinion. I got over it rather quickly.

Again, though--as I stated in some other post, even in games I don't like, I can see the quality and the flaws. I can look at Pokemon, Madden, or whatever and say "It's not for me but I can see why its audience would like it. If you're amongst that audience, this is exactly what you would like about it." Instead of saying "I doing like this and you shouldn't like it, either. Here's why!"

There has to be balance. Jim normally does a good job of this--though he overreacts a lot. There was some big game recently, that he panned while giving a lesser, similar game a great review and a higher score. I was okay with that because his opinion lined up with mine. I can't get mad when the pendulum swings the other way.

Great words there!

And when a review isnt to our liking we dont go into personal attacks and such....

areason said:
Pavolink said:

There's no way to read the entire review now. But I already read part of it. It just sums that he didn't knew how to skip cutscenes, neither that you have a Shrine sensor or those activates as fast travel points, and didn't like stamina and weapom degradation systems because "Dark Souls" and blacksmiths in Hyrule make glass swords.

Have you read it? Do you know any other details? I would love to see if he got more things wrong.

You can't drop the stamine and weapon degredation systems critique just because of the humour that he tied to them. He clearly explains how they took away from his experience and how they add a negative diffculty layer which forces the player to complete more shrines. 

To add what i was saying he critiques the difficulty of the combat, the "ubisoft" towers, some weather elements, and that he found the shrine element to be a grind. 

You're acting like a butthurt child, just because you disgaree doesn't mean he is wrong. 

I agree with some of his points regarding the degredation system and the combat, people forget that personal taste is part of reviews, and all the ass kissing BOTW has gotten since launch makes people forget that. 

First, nobody is kissing BotW ass. Weapons are all over Hyrule. If there's a problem is space to save those. Secondly, zero stamina problems. You can climb Twin Peaks with the initial stamina ring. And that is one of the highest peaks in the game. No need to upgrade to explore Hyrule. Again, there's already a succesful speedrun.

Third, there's nothing difficult in combat. You can kill guardians parrying the laser with pot shields. Lynels are hard but flurry rush make it easier. Add in there buffs from cocking and even less problems.

About Ubisoft Towers, hopefully he is consisten that every game with a tower is a Ubisoft game. Lastly the weather system, especially rain, can be a problem for climbing and I agree.

Before you call me a butthurt child, you should try to ask in the first place what is my opinion in the game, because is nowhere to be my best Zelda game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

You do realize that you're creating work-arounds for what others consider to be annoyances, right? The fact that you can work around it, or tolerate it, doesn't mean it's that tolerable to others, or that the work arounds make it less annoying.

Imagine if someone but a giant boulder in front of your front door that allowed you to only open the door a foot. When you complain about it, they say, "welll you can still squeeze through the door, or you can take your door off it's hinges and hop over the boulder, or you could you could just use the door on the back of your house. It's really not a problem having that boulder there if you think about it" I'm pretty sure you'd still prefer to have the boulder removed so you can use the door the way you'd like without the work arounds.

I get that some people find it annoying, but to me this is like critcising a shooter because you have to reload your gun. 

Knowing how much ammo you have left and finding a safe place to hunker down to reload is part of the game. Just like climbing a mountain and having to find a safe ledge to rest on is part of BotW.

It all boils down to whether you enjoy it or not. Haha, I guess we're all just writing words that appear to be rational arguments only because they justify our brain chemistry. 

BraLoD said:
Damn, this thread is quite popular...

And imagine that the game is at 97%....

out of 83 reviews so far, with like 50 of them on 10/10, one reviewer went and gave it a respectable 7/10 and fans are all over the place with personal attacks... go figure...

Let me pose a question about the cut scenes. Even with them skip-able. If an action is being repeated, over and over again. The blood moon, and the Shrine entry intros etc. Shouldn't the game just stop doing the cut scenes, in the first place. The majority of people will just skip them. After a few viewings. Making the skip option moot. The animation should not happen any more. It should be relegated to the playback archive. That's where my argument is coming from.

I'm happy that everything is basically skip-able. But, I'd rather is be fully disable-able. Like Pokemon's battle animation. As for the durabilty system. If it matched Minecraft's. I wouldn't complain. Since it doesn't, it's crappy. Every weapon is garabge. Because they break easily. So nothing feels memable. It's just a line of junk.

Pavolink said:
areason said:

You can't drop the stamine and weapon degredation systems critique just because of the humour that he tied to them. He clearly explains how they took away from his experience and how they add a negative diffculty layer which forces the player to complete more shrines. 

To add what i was saying he critiques the difficulty of the combat, the "ubisoft" towers, some weather elements, and that he found the shrine element to be a grind. 

You're acting like a butthurt child, just because you disgaree doesn't mean he is wrong. 

I agree with some of his points regarding the degredation system and the combat, people forget that personal taste is part of reviews, and all the ass kissing BOTW has gotten since launch makes people forget that. 

First, nobody is kissing BotW ass. Weapons are all over Hyrule. If there's a problem is space to save those. Secondly, zero stamina problems. You can climb Twin Peaks with the initial stamina ring. No need to upgrade to reach explore Hyrule. And that is one of the highest peaks in the game. Again, there's already a succesful speedrun.

Three negative reviews without anything going in the 80s is a very rare sight. 

His critique was that unlike other rpgs, once you get the cool loot you get to keep it, instead of it breaking,  that is still a valid point.

Third, there's nothing difficult in combat. You can kill guardians parrying the laser with pot shields. Lynels are hard but flurry rush make it easier. Add in there buffs from cocking and even less problems.

His criqute regarding the difficulty has to do with the amount of damage enemies do, which forces you to get more health, instead of just being better.

About Ubisoft Towers, hopefully he is consisten that every game with a tower is a Ubisoft game. Lastly the weather system, especially rain, can be a problem for climbing and I agree.

You can disagree with his critiques, but he isn't plain out wrong, everyone has their own niches.

Before you call me a butthurt child, you should try to ask in the first place what is my opinion in the game, because is nowhere need to be my best Zelda game.

It doesn't matter if it's you're favourite or wrong, you dismissed his claims because of the style of his review, and outright called his other points wrong without even knowing them, that is childish.

Overall i think his score in conjecture with his points is overblown, but it doesn't make his criticism false.

In bold.

RolStoppable said:

It depends on what is rated. You can generally say that 7/10 is a good score, but if you handed out that score to rate Tom Brady's career in the NFL, you would get rightfully attacked for being a scumbag or whatever you want to call it. Your credibility would be called into question; again, rightly so.

I can't access Jim's site to read the review, but from what I can gather in this thread, Jim's review lacks sense and isn't defensible. That's a bigger issue than the score itself.

Eh, I'm like 70% in the, "Jim wants attention" camp because it is so occam's razor to me.

Even I have to call out the bolded though. 

Games are subjective. Brady has a lot of objective measures like 5 super bowl rings and top 5 all time in passing yards (probably, didn't look this up or anything).

Even so though, I don't know if "attacks" are ever "rightful".

And interestingly enough, pundits do make a career out of being haters of greatness in sports. ESPN has probably made thousands of hours of programming out of one loudmouth doubting LeBron James and another loudmouth arguing in favor of James. 

People like controversy and hot takes and big, bold, opinions. Being genuine is mostly optional.