By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - February 2017 NPD Thread! Nioh sales up!

RolStoppable said:
thismeintiel said:

If the criteria to be a hybrid/home console is to have a dock/cradle that just allows you to quickly and easily connect to the TV, then the PSP should count.  If not, then you guys are using some mental gymnastics to make it seem any different.

Though, I may have to take off the Vita, as I'm not 100% sure it's cradle worked that way.

The criteria to not be a handheld is that the device offers proper home console functionality when connected to a TV. Obvious example: Neither the PSP or PSV offer splitscreen multiplayer for their games; Switch does.

For people who gamed on Nintendo home consoles in the past, none of the usual functionality is being lost. Switch is legitimately a hybrid.

This will be my last reply on the subject, as I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further.

The problem I have with that reasoning is that the splitscreen multiplayer has nothing to do with connecting it to a TV.  That feature is just supported by the handheld itself.  The dock is just putting the same experience you get on the Switch onto the TV.  If there was no dock, the experience would be the exact same, only on a smaller screen.  It would be no different if the PSP/Vita was designed to support another controller input via a DS3/4.  Displaying that on the TV wouldn't just automatically make them a home console.  Same goes for the simplistic games on the PSP (not sure if there are any on the Vita) where two people play their side of the screen using the controls they have on their side of the PSP.  Putting that on the screen and playing it with one DS3 isn't going to make it a hybrid/home console. 

Now, if the docked mode actually added features and processing power, not just an upclock the handheld could do without the dock, at the expense of battery life, then you'd have a point.

Around the Network

Did we ever get numbers for Jan? I can't remember.

I agree that XB1 is probably down, the reaction price deal to the PS4s seems to cement that notion.

PS4 might not be down due to the early price promotion, but it is likely to be at least slightly.

That PR comment tho

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

RolStoppable said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

What does  MS PR mean ?

Microsoft public relations. In this specific case, their press releases in response to NPD numbers.

Microsoft has a long track record of calling themselves the #1 console for the month even when a handheld actually beat their Xbox (original, 360, One). Similarly, Kerotan keeps changing his stance on which kinds of consoles count for bragging about sales achievements.

Ps4 will be the #1 traditional home console in March fact.  

I never said it doesn't count being the #1 handheld or #1 hybrid.  They're just different accolades that don't interest me.  

Better luck next time! 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
RolStoppable said:

Microsoft public relations. In this specific case, their press releases in response to NPD numbers.

Microsoft has a long track record of calling themselves the #1 console for the month even when a handheld actually beat their Xbox (original, 360, One). Similarly, Kerotan keeps changing his stance on which kinds of consoles count for bragging about sales achievements.

Ps4 will be the #1 traditional home console in March fact.  

I never said it doesn't count being the #1 handheld or #1 hybrid.  They're just different accolades that don't interest me.  

Better luck next time! 

Next month, I'll being seeing "Switch #1" in the title and the majority will be fine with it.

You are more than welcome to have your own definitions, of course. 

JRPGfan said:

But will we get any Numbers?
Expect PS4 to take this one too.

These things are getting too predictable.

twintail said:
Not really a surprise. March will be interesting: Switch should take it comfortably but it would be something if it is PS4.

preorders and early adopters.... Switch will take march.

April is the one that ll be fun to watch.

twintail said:
Not really a surprise. March will be interesting: Switch should take it comfortably but it would be something if it is PS4.

Even if the PS4 wins the month (within the month), the Switch should still have better sales because of the pre-orders. I don't think there's the slightest chance PS4 can sell more than the Switch.

The PS5 Exists. 

Even if we consider Switch a hybrid, it's still a home console. If Switch sells more than PS4 and Xbox One, then it's the number one selling home console. It will be a sorry sight if I see anybody trying to label PS4/XB1 best selling console by giving the Switch its own category.