By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How powerful should ps5 and Xbox 4 be?

Barkley said:
Powerful enough for 60fps to be the standard.

This^ and it should be comfortable at 60fps aswell, no dips. 

Around the Network

100tflopz gpu

1 terabytez of gddr7 ram

128 core cpu

Emulate Reality

Xxain said:
I would prefer if SONY focused on something else. PS5 being just being another dumb PC would blow. SONY's is a hardware firm so should be able to come up with a new hook

If even you can't figure out what you want, then Sony sure as hell won't know what you want. They'll stick to what they've been doing for the past 4 generations and maybe improve PSVR.

It's not like the concept of living rooms will stop existing.

Barkley said:
Powerful enough for 60fps to be the standard.

60fps is NEVER gonna be the standard. If there's extra power to be used, it'll go towards making the game prettier. PS4 is capable enough to handle every game at 60fps, but they wouldn't be as pretty. That goes for every console ever.

vivster said:
The Fury said:
They should have so much power that their power becomes self aware and we can no longer play games because SkyNet has taken over.

Console Skynet wouldn't have a chance against #masterrace Skynet anyway.

But imagine the power of Divine hybrid masterrace Skynet.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Make the PS5 at least 3-4 times as powerful as a PS4 Pro. Make SSD standard for their hard discs. Backwards compatibility with the PS4 and dump as many games on it as possible. 400$ price tag at launch. Keep the DS4 but double the battery life. Thats enough for me

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I wanna see a 7nm chip, with like 12+ Tflops of compute (like a x7-x9 of XB1s & PS4s).
Maybe 16 gigs of ram, and a 1 TB hdd.

Hopefully in 2020 this is possible for 400$-450$.

Around the Network

I'd say 4-5x as powerful as the PS4 Pro for the difference to be noticeable enough.

Louie said:
I'd say 4-5x as powerful as the PS4 Pro for the difference to be noticeable enough.

Thats unreasonable... you expect them to sell you a 21 Teraflop console in 2020?

A Nvidia GTX 1080 is 9 Teraflops and costs like 500$+ atm.

Im not sure expecting more than 12 Teraflops in 2020 is reasonable for a console.

It ll be twice the power of the scorpio or more, and come 2-3years after it, but at a lower launch price than the xbox scorpio.

sc94597 said:
Teeqoz said:
DDR6???? Hahahaha
That doesn't exist lol. And it won't exist by 2019 or 2020 either. We just started using DDR4...

He probably meant GDDR6. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3165301/components-graphics/driven-by-esports-micron-fast-tracks-superfast-gddr6-graphics-memory.html

why botherwith GDDR6 when we can use HBM2 instead. Better than GDDR6 in every way imaginable and even allows for a less complicated board design.

JRPGfan said:
Louie said:

Thats unreasonable... you expect them to sell you a 21 Teraflop console in 2020?

A Nvidia GTX 1080 is 9 Teraflops and costs like 500$+ atm.

Im not sure expecting more than 12 Teraflops in 2020 is reasonable for a console.

It ll be twice the power of the scorpio or more, and come 2-3years after it, but at a lower launch price than the xbox scorpio.

Thanks for the clarification! I'm not an expert when it comes to this stuff. 

What I do think is that customers will have a hard time justifying the purchase of a console that is only 2-3x as powerful as a PS4 Pro because the mass market won't see the difference in graphics. Sony and Microsoft sell their new consoles primarily based on additional power. What would be the selling feature of a PS5 that is only "marginally" more powerful than a PS4 Pro? If they can't put out a console that's a big leap I'd expect the generation to last longer actually. 

Whatever keeps them between $250 - $350.