By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Breaks Nintendo Sales Records in Americas & Japanese Sales ~330k+

Tagged games:

Do we believe Reggie through the NYT through The Verge?

Yes. 126 50.81%

No. 80 32.26%

Who's Reggie? 42 16.94%

Total:248
NATO said:
Trunkin said:

I take it you're referring exclusively to Japan with those statements? How was the scalping for the 3DS? PS4? I know that in the US, Gone are the days where you could get over $1000 for your launch day console, but i was still able to flip my Switch on eBay for $100 more than what I payed for it, including tax.

Yes just Japan, it's the market i'm most familiar with, Scalping for 3DS was pretty bad, same for PS4 and PS4 Pro once the initial stock had sold out, even PSVR was scalped for 2x retail or more, and even now is still being sold for $200 over retail.

Even the Nes classic was selling for 1.5-2x retail after initial stock had sold out - and Switch HAS sold out, but the demand for them at auction just isn't there.

That is strange. It seems that despite sales being close to ps4, the launch hype frenzy just isn't there. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on sales going forward, and more importantly, what Nintendo does if things turn sour.

Around the Network
NATO said:
Teeqoz said:
The PS4 launched with twice as much as the PSP, but the PSP sold at least twice as much as the PS4 will lifetime.

PSP sold 82 million, if you think the PS4 will sell < 41 million lifetime, you might want to realize that it's already sold 50m as of December last year.

"Heck, just look at Japan, same thing going on there. The PS4 launched with twice as much as the PSP, but the PSP sold at least twice as much as the PS4 will lifetime."

The PSP sold 20 million in Japan. You might want to realize that the PS4 has sold less than 4.5 million in Japan so far.

Hopefully it's over a million fw. Would be an excellent start.

Teeqoz said:
NATO said:

PSP sold 82 million, if you think the PS4 will sell < 41 million lifetime, you might want to realize that it's already sold 50m as of December last year.

"Heck, just look at Japan, same thing going on there. The PS4 launched with twice as much as the PSP, but the PSP sold at least twice as much as the PS4 will lifetime."

The PSP sold 20 million in Japan. You might want to realize that the PS4 has sold less than 4.5 million in Japan so far.

My bad, read it but didn't click for whatever reason, but In that case you need to also consider the following:

PSP average RRP in Japan: 17,800 yen.
PS4 average RRP in Japan: 39,980 yen.

PSP market period: December 12th 2004 - June 2014 ( 9 years 6 months, 19 days)
PS4 market period: February 22nd 2014 - Present (3 years 14 days)

Certainly isn't going to top 20m but then Japan has historically favored handhelds, however it more than likely will surpass the PS3 in the region, which itself sold 10.45m in Japan, which is more than half.

As for that tendancy to buy portable over home console, for Japan:

US / EU / JP
PS3: 29.41m / 34.51m / 10.45m
360: 49.09m / 25.86 / 1.66m
WIIU: 6.2m / 3.47m / 3.32m

Handheld:
3DS: 20.66m / 17.19m / 22.34m
PSP: 21.41m / 24.14m / 20.01m

Heck, even look at the Wii, Nintendo's highest selling home console of all time:
US: 45.38m, EU: 33.75m, JP: 12.77m

NATO said:
Teeqoz said:

My bad, read it but didn't click for whatever reason, but In that case you need to also consider the following:

PSP average RRP in Japan: 17,800 yen.
PS4 average RRP in Japan: 39,980 yen.

PSP market period: December 12th 2004 - June 2014 ( 9 years 6 months, 19 days)
PS4 market period: February 22nd 2014 - Present (3 years 14 days)

Certainly isn't going to top 20m but then Japan has historically favored handhelds, however it more than likely will surpass the PS3 in the region, which itself sold 10.45m in Japan, which is more than half.

As for that tendancy to buy portable over home console, for Japan:

US / EU / JP
PS3: 29.41m / 34.51m / 10.45m
360: 49.09m / 25.86 / 1.66m
WIIU: 6.2m / 3.47m / 3.32m

Handheld:
3DS: 20.66m / 17.19m / 22.34m
PSP: 21.41m / 24.14m / 20.01m

Heck, even look at the Wii, Nintendo's highest selling home console of all time:
US: 45.38m, EU: 33.75m, JP: 12.77m

My point was that console launches have gotten bigger without that necesarily translating into lifetime sales.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:

My point was that console launches have gotten bigger without that necesarily translating into lifetime sales.

I don't disagree, and it also seems to go in line with the ever increasing trend of buying and selling online, the more people looking online for a console to buy the more people buy to flip, supply and demand and all that, but occasionally it goes tits up, and the demand for the sold out console isn't strong enough to meet the expectations and asking price of flippers.

Kerotan said:

I'm happy to see Nintendo and Sony doing great!  Two excellent console makers! 

Just wanted to quote this for truth. I'd rather have a healthy console market with a strong Sony and Nintendo than a market in which only one manufacturer sells big numbers. Gen 7 was awesome because the market was growing. Here's hope these times will come back with the Switch (and a super successful PS4 of course).

OT: Good numbers. Something above 300k seems to be the standard shipment for Japan these days, huh? I guess they shipped around 1m worldwide first week and the rest of march will get weekly shipments of 250k. I remember back in the Wii days it took Nintendo months to ramp up production. After the Wii U disaster they probably got really careful not to overship. 

NATO said:
Teeqoz said:

I don't disagree, and it also seems to go in line with the ever increasing trend of buying and selling online, the more people looking online for a console to buy the more people buy to flip, supply and demand and all that, but occasionally it goes tits up, and the demand for the sold out console isn't strong enough to meet the expectations and asking price of flippers.

I just had to post this pic:

amerika LOVE Zelda and this is the best Zelda ever!!!! And the switch is a nice device.

I know you say I am crazy or insane, but I believe The Switch sold 1.000.000 in 48h in amerika!

Zelda - Breath of the Wild for Nintendo Switch.... Incredable!!!

Nautilus said:

Americas sales might be higher than that, if the statement is true.I would bet on something closer to 700 k.

But yeah, assuming this tweet is true, the Switch selling as good as the PS4 with a limited supply on March is trully impressive.With the release of Mario Kart 8 and the Global Testfire to send the japanese Switch hype to space, the system there might just have a very bright future.

Why do people keep saying this march thing like its some preemptive qualifier for something great or a precooked excuse for something nothing not so great.

Didn't even the PS4 launch in febuary in Japan? 

I don't know why this is so hard to accept. The launch month of a console is irrelevant when you consider that over 95% of the console sales will go to the hardore fans or early adopters. These are the very same people that would have got the console no matter what or even if it cost more than whatever it ended up costing.

The real indication of a platforms sales is how it does after launch. Not what it does on launch day. Even the XB1 managed to sell 1M consoles in 24 hrs on one territory.