By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Left Joy-con desync issue, is a hardware design issue

I ran into sync issues with mine after I pulled the joy cons off of the switch and tried using them like a regular controller. It happened to me a couple of times. It never happened while using them when they are attached to the screen though. Luckily I was able to get a pro controller, so I've just been playing that. Even though the Pro Controller was $70 its by far the best controller and most comfortable to hold.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

"Youtuber Spawnwave put out some tweets that he had opened up the joycons and managed to extend the range that many people have had issues with. He has said that he has managed to increase the range to about 20 feet instead of the near 10 that it seemed to max out at before."  -Its Quite Toasty @neogaf.

So basically heres a video where a engineer opens up the left joy-con and goes "well this isnt smart".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unZABUO5w60&feature=youtu.be&t=19m59s

So he managed to get his left joy-con to work at 40ft, when before it was barely okay at 20ft.

What does all this mean?

Well Nintendo will do a revision of the joy-cons with a better design at some point, and those wont have the desync issues.

If your a early adopter of the switch,... well you can always buy new joy-cons a year or so down the line when they do 2.0 versions.

This desync issue is far less common than people are making it out to be.

Really, if there's one key design flaw with those it was the decision to favor aesthetics over utility by not making the plus sign which shows how to properly slide those wriststrap covers on more visible. Putting it on the wrong way is actually somewhat possible, and it can be hard to remove without damaging it.

I have no doubt that there will be a 2.0 (more for that reason as you gotta imagine kids will break the things), but the reviews and footage I've seen show that it's not that big of a deal; I'm definitely going to be testing it personally in a few hours.

Played all weekend and had no sync issues. I sit about 10 ft away from the TV. I even tried to make them happen by playing with my hands behind the couch and cupping the joycon and stuff.

If it's a hardware defect I hope Nintendo fixes it for those affected soon.

So now the Switch not only has no games until the end of 2017, no internet browser, no multimedia, no option to connect to bluetooth headsets, smartphone-app required for matchmaking and voice-chat, only 32gb of storage, a screen that scratches after time when connecting to the dock, it now also has hardware design flaws that impacts your gameplay.

How did this console, according to Gamespot, get such good launch numbers? It must be hype because of the concept. But this thing has no long-lasting appeal and many owners will be disappointed eventually.

And this is coming from an (ex) Nintendo fanboy.

HintHRO said:
So now the Switch not only has no games until the end of 2017, no internet browser, no multimedia, no option to connect to bluetooth headsets, smartphone-app required for matchmaking and voice-chat, only 32gb of storage, a screen that scratches after time when connecting to the dock, it now also has hardware design flaws that impacts your gameplay.

How did this console, according to Gamespot, get such good launch numbers? It must be hype because of the concept. But this thing has no long-lasting appeal and many owners will be disappointed eventually.

1. Has games. (Zelda, few other new IPs and several good idie titles) There really is only one other big game launching beyond Zelda and that is exclusive too.
  2. No need for browser/multimedia when everything else you own now has that feature. Even if it did, I'd just use my phone. This is a meh issue at best.
  3. Bluetooth headset would be nice, but that is really only important docked. Portable, just pop in a headset to the device directly.
  4. No big multiplayer game to make this an issue  yet. Plus, you can't knock their app solution until its actually revealed. It may be a game changer.
  5.  32GB storage is small. But best you'd see would be 128GB as there is no way they'd add a HDD, that simply would not make sense in this case. The extensibility through SD card makes this a nonIssue IMO.
  6. Has screen really been an issue? I saw one comment. But yes, that is a bad design. Still, $10 glass screen protector an poof, nonIssue. (something many would buy anyways)
  7. This joycon is definitely the single significant flaw out of anything you're clamouring about. Nintendo will certainly fix and once fixed, I'm willing to bet anyone with a defective joycon will be allowed to send it in to be replaced.
Fact is, this is an excellent game console. I spent all weekend enjoying it and really can't wait to dive back in after work. Zelda is by far the best game I've played in many years. The console is comfortable, portable and the hardware (aside from joycon connection for some) is really great. I especially love the pro-controller and feel its price is justified considering its functionality and battery life. I mean, no other console now has controllers that last anywhere as long on a single charge as the joycons or the pro-controller and XBO controllers are actually more expensive when you factor in the battery costs.
I think you debbie downers would be just as bitchy about anything Nintendo did unless it was another me-too pointless system that the others are fighting over.

Around the Network

Hopefully they can get this fixed for the next batch of Switch shipments then

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Foxconn workers strike back! JK, this is still some shoddy work though. Hopefully Nintendo is aware of the manufacturing issue and by the holidays, when I get one, the Switch will have turned from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan.

I sit about 14' from the Switch dock and have had ZERO problems with the controllers staying synced.

Stop hating and start playing.

HintHRO said:

No games until the end of 2017 ... RIIIIIGTH!  Oh no, only 32GB, what will I do?!?  I have a 64GB MicroSD card in mine that cost me $15.  Considering that the games don't have a mandatory install...cough cough..Xbox/PS4.... It'll be awhile before I need to upgrade past that.

I've seen the pic on the scratches supposedly caused by the dock and I'm calling BS on them.  Unless their dock had something sharp inside of it that wasn't suppose to be there, they weren't cause by it.

It has no lasting appeal...you're funny! 

You don't speak for everyone, so don't try.

Stop hating and start playing.

I'm sitting 10ft away, and haven't experienced any issues so far so that might be good enough distance.