By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Left Joy-con desync issue, is a hardware design issue

"Youtuber Spawnwave put out some tweets that he had opened up the joycons and managed to extend the range that many people have had issues with. He has said that he has managed to increase the range to about 20 feet instead of the near 10 that it seemed to max out at before."  -Its Quite Toasty @neogaf.

So basically heres a video where a engineer opens up the left joy-con and goes "well this isnt smart".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unZABUO5w60&feature=youtu.be&t=19m59s

So he managed to get his left joy-con to work at 40ft, when before it was barely okay at 20ft.

What does all this mean?

Well Nintendo will do a revision of the joy-cons with a better design at some point, and those wont have the desync issues.

If your a early adopter of the switch,... well you can always buy new joy-cons a year or so down the line when they do 2.0 versions.

Around the Network

I have a launch Switch and haven't experienced any desync issues, nor have any of my friends who own the system.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

JRPGfan said:

What does all this mean?

Well Nintendo will do a revision of the joy-cons with a better design at some point, and those wont have the desync issues.

If your a early adopter of the switch,... well you can always buy new joy-cons a year or so down the line when they do 2.0 versions.

Or, you know, you can do the same fix -- no? Seems quite simple fix. And if the problem is there and is substantial, Nintendo might be forced to recall all affected Joy Cons. But for everyone else, at least we know a fix is very simple.

I have had no issues with Joy-Con disconnection. It's not a HAM Radio people, your not going to be able to talk to people in china on the thing. It works fine at normal livingroom distances. If you do have issues, just move the dock closer to where you are using the Joy-Con.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Well, I did say a few weeks ago that Nintendo was looking to make a lot more money off peripherals this time around. I was referring to colors and themes but I guess starting out with low build quality works, too.

Around the Network

There could be manufactureing issues guys... so just because your switch doesnt have the issue, doesnt mean everyone else is blowing the issue out of proportion. You guys are probably just not amoung the unlucky few that got joy-cons with issues.

twintail said:

Seem the problem is not located in every joycon but because of potential manual work to put the controller's together, errors have been made.

Regardless, Nintendo is to blame for this.

"Just speculating a bit, but the fact that some people are having issues and others don't, suggests that it might be a manufacturing issue which could be related to this soldering. It looks hand soldered so it's possible that some Joy-Cons have a bad solder where the antenna trace is not well connected. It seems unlikely, but anything is possible." - Enkidu @ Neogaf.

To those of you with switch's that dont have this issue.... you got lucky.

JRPGfan said:
There could be manufactureing issues guys... so just because your switch doesnt have the issue, doesnt mean everyone else is blowing the issue out of proportion. You guys are probably just not amoung the unlucky few that got joy-cons with issues.

This is true. My condolences go out to people who have purchased gimped Joy-Cons. And yes, I have always been a lucky bastard.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

It's absolutely ridiculous, I died a ton of times falling from ledges because the left joycon will simply be stuck on the position I was pressing before. Pretty much I need to be fast enough to notice Link isn't stopping, then quickly change position in bed and hope I was fast enough to regain control of the character to use the flying thing before hitting the ground.

I noticed that simply moving my leg to a new position is enough to sometimes lose the sync.

Just for reference I can be using a DS4 from at least 3 times the distance (and with walls between) that the PS4 keeps the sync. Can even voice chat while I'm going to the fridge to pick up some drinks and I'm good.

JRPGfan said:

"Youtuber Spawnwave put out some tweets that he had opened up the joycons and managed to extend the range that many people have had issues with. He has said that he has managed to increase the range to about 20 feet instead of the near 10 that it seemed to max out at before."  -Its Quite Toasty @neogaf.

So basically heres a video where a engineer opens up the left joy-con and goes "well this isnt smart".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unZABUO5w60&feature=youtu.be&t=19m59s

So he managed to get his left joy-con to work at 40ft, when before it was barely okay at 20ft.

What does all this mean?

Or, better yet, I'll ride the warranties to these joycons 'til I get a pair that works flawlessly. That is if I get this desyncing issue.

I want Nintendo to eat the cost of their design or manufacturing flaws. I strongly suggest anyone else with the issue to do the same.