By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Switch Owners, Post Your Impressions!

I really like it so far, but I don't have any games yet, lol. I wanted to get the Binding of Isaac at launch but it wasn't available at my local retailer yesterday. Did that game get delayed or something?

Not in the mood for Zelda right now, so I'm just gonna wait a little.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Not revolutionary and the docked performance in Zelda is really concerning. But i personally like it as a successor to the 3DS :^)

First impressions

The device: I was surprised at how tiny the actual console was. I'd seen size comparisons but, opening the box, I was greeted by two miniscule Joypads and a "tablet" roughly the size of my smartphone. Connecting it to the TV was quick and painless. No pairing of controllers. No external HDD worries. No Ethernet cable. Just "plug in the HDMI. Plug up the power supply. Play."

I already have a ton of USB C Cables so keeping the console powered in portable mode will be no problem. In fact, I can use my smartphone's Turbo Charger. The device feels good. So far, there was none of that "Oh wow, this is the next generation" feeling that I got with my PS4 or Xbox One, though.

The interface/Dashboard: The interface is really simple and bare bones. Good or bad? Can't decide, yet. There are few customization options. You can choose a light theme or a dark theme. A few avatars to choose from (I chose Samus). No custom wallpapers and, as far as I can tell, no option to use screenshots as wallpapers. I'm sure it will be added eventually.

The controller: Haven't gotten my hands on a Pro controller, yet. On their own, the Joycon felt to small for my giant hands. When placed in the included grip, they felt like a traditional controller but not nearly as comfortable as an Xbox One, PS4, or even Wii U controller. Motion controls are impressive. The much touted "HD rumble" hasn't really impressed me, yet. It feels like the WiiU gamepad rumble (I've only played Zelda so far...) and, to be honest, is a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully, it's just the software not taking advantage, yet. Anyway, the Joycons serve their purpose though I doubt anyone will be calling them "The best best controllers, ever."

Power: The only game I have is Zelda Breath of the Wild. It looks like a WiiU game. Period. A highly end WiiU game, but not on par with even Xbox One/PS4 launch titles, graphically. Even if the game looked stunning on YouTube or whatever, you'll easily spot technical limitations when playing it yourself. Art style hides a lot. I'm going to need to see other games to find out what the Switch can really do.

Miscellaneous:
-I purchased a screen protector and really fucked up the application. I'll keep it on until my tempered glass one arrives. Whatever you do, go with glass.

On that note, my phone is a Droid Moto Z Force. The screen is supposed to be indestructible but it still gets scratches. It's just the nature of the beast. You HAVE to get a screen protector, nowadays (though I never needed one for Vita...).

-No issue at all with the controller not responding. Not saying it doesn't exist. I just haven't seen it rear its ugly head, at all.

-No issue going from TV mode to portable mode and losing battery life. If it's 100% in TV mode, the console was still 100% in portable.

-screen looks absolutely beautiful in portable. Right on par with Vita and probably amongst the better smart phones as far as clarity goes.

-No option to adjust brightness in TV mode. Connected to my 4K TV, the default picture was so bright, it hurt my eyes! I had to adjust the TV settings.

-I haven't really figured out a good place to put mine where it looks natural and hides those unsightly cables. 

That's it for now. More to come.

Very very positive so far too. I love the system, I love Zelda, I love the Pro controller. Cant wait for the future of this system.

Mine won't be here for a couple of hours, I'll post my impressions after I get it!

Around the Network
Green098 said:
Mine won't be here for a couple of hours, I'll post my impressions after I get it!

Looking forward to it.

It'll be fun watching the console evolve. It has amazing potential right out of the gate. If Nintendo plays their cards right, the Switch could be a device that transcends gaming.

Not necessary but I'd love to see grips or even charging grips in differing designs. They are versatile enough to take on different forms if someone were willing to create a cool looking, comfortable shell.

I hope we get apps like Miitomo for the system, too. Could be great.

I find the idea of different joycon exciting too.. 

Like, a proper D-pad for fighting games or for virtual console games, they could in theory produce joy con that imitate previous consoles controllers with two joycon. 

To the guy who said he wasn't impressed with HD rumble, I'm not that sure that Zelda takes advantage of it. 1-2 switch does and its clever, being able to tell how many marbles are in a box for one game, it's highly realistic 

Im not sure how games will take advantage of it but I hope they do

OdinHades said:
I really like it so far, but I don't have any games yet, lol. I wanted to get the Binding of Isaac at launch but it wasn't available at my local retailer yesterday. Did that game get delayed or something?

Not in the mood for Zelda right now, so I'm just gonna wait a little.

Yeah, it was delayed.It is still comming somewhere in march though, but a date was not confirmed.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Honestly, i love it, i'm about to stop bringing my gaming laptop for the break time at work.