By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN:Nintendo Switch console review (in progress)

Volterra_90 said:
I always thought that this weird thing happens with Nintendo consoles later. When they're disliked the most by the hardcore gaming community, the more it sells XDD.

Wii U was heavily disliked by the hardcore gaming community though :P

Around the Network
Faelco said:
Volterra_90 said:
I always thought that this weird thing happens with Nintendo consoles later. When they're disliked the most by the hardcore gaming community, the more it sells XDD.

Before launch? I remember a lot of people saying Nintendo went back to appeal hardcore gaming, without motion controls and useless gimmicks XDD. I wasn't convinced about its design though. 

axumblade said:
Faelco said:

This review is absolutely not for Nintendo fans though (who will buy the console anyway), but is a lot more interesting for other IGN readers.

A 6.7 score (not final) seems weirdly low (even if most of what he says has been said more or less strongly by others before), we'll see what the final score will be and what other reviewers will say.

Nothing IGN does is for Nintendo fans.  I definitely can see the jack of all trades aspect being a possibility and I am fine if this ends up being the case but IGN has very little credibility when it comes to what they report on Nintendo.

Well, they do like giving Nintendo games high scores. Skyward Sword and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were 10/10, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U was 9.8/10

Volterra_90 said:
Faelco said:

Before launch? I remember a lot of people saying Nintendo went back to appeal hardcore gaming, without motion controls and useless gimmicks XDD. I wasn't convinced about its design though. 

Ah? I don't remember how it was here, but on another website I use it was considered like a future failure trying to be a new Wii...

The review makes a lot of valid points. Good in some ways, not outstanding in many, plus early technical issues.

My 8th gen collection

Around the Network

In this thread:

A whole bunch of people attacking the reviewer and his employer rather than actually considering his arguments and points he makes, and attacking those.

I suggest all of you who decided to do such learn about this fallacy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I always had a love-hate relationship with IGN reviews.In one hand, I think that the written part of the reviews are great.They detail what needs to be detailed and are very through.The score, on the other hand, are very much a hit-and-miss.Sometimes it fits in with what they have written, other times they feel like they are going to give a 9 in the review, just to score it a 7.5.

In this review in particular, I feel like he listed some very dumb negatives."The most glaring is that there is no way to lay the system on its side while docked, which is particularly irritating given that the game card slot, headphone jack, headphone volume controls, and power button are all along the top of the system."Really?Thats a complain?Especially since the system is so small compared to the other home systems?

Other thing that he complains is that he compairs the power to the other systems, but dosent stress out the fact that the Switch does one thing that the others dont:Be portable.And with that, that point seems more negative than it should have been.

Another that he complains is the power.While the 3 hour battery is not excellent by any means, he keeps saying as if the system only handles that much in any condition, failing to acknoledge that it will vary greatly to the game you are playing(and also when not playing anything at all), so it feels like an unnecessary stab at Nintendo.

Having said that, its not a bad review per se, but it feels lacking in my opinion.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

So the games can look a bit ugly on the big screen, almost on a wii-to-360/PS3 level of power difference, the joy cons (currently) have issues syncing, it lacks many of the features like video streaming, internet browsing (should be solved soon), mediocre leaning on lousy battery life for the heavy hitters, no LAN port (huge for me, my PS4 is wired 24/7 cause my wifi can be shite), tiny out-of-the-box storage capacity (easily fixable but requires more money). It seems like almost all of the handheld aspects of it are pretty good though.

Underwhelmed, to say the least. Definitely need to check out more reviews to see if this is the general consensus.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Just remember you can't spell ignorant without ign

Ill wait for the reviews from soccer moms and grandmas then, they'll be the tie breaker.

Nintendo fans will buy it no matter what and the said Nintendo fans are already poo-pooing the elite hardcorepwn gamer...so pretty much a wash.