Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and the Nindies

I'm not a huge fan of indie games, but there are some really good game titles out there

Bigger games usually interest me more, unfortunately

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Indies are on every platform. Funny how they are getting hype since that's mostly what Switch has, when the PS4 was bashed when it had a ton of indies. Tablets and phones already have consumers who are interested and at a cheaper cost. Consoles are for bigger games. Hence why the PS4 is crushing the competition. I will buy Yooka-Lalee on PS4, but Horizon: Zero Dawn is the reason big budget destroys indies even when they are combined. What value does an indie game have compared to that beast or Zelda? Really HZD makes it hard to play anything less ...including the likes of The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4.

People are caring more and more these days, but indie still remains a much smaller sector than even the mid teir publisher industry. Games like Shovel Knight, Binding of Isaac, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc have shown that people are more and more willing consider indie games a significant part of their gaming experience though.

Honestly, I think Nintendo would be wise to try and move this growth along. A physical publication program may be wise, releasing select indies of sufficient substance and quality physically. Snake Pass, FAST RMX, and Runner 3 could be good options, assuming the substance is there. If it is they are big enough, Blaster Master Zero and SteamWorld Dig 2 could get the treatment as well (perhaps port and bundle in SteamWorld Dig with SteamWorld Dig 2?).

CraigMack said:

Indies are on every platform. Funny how they are getting hype since that's mostly what Switch has, when the PS4 was bashed when it had a ton of indies. Tablets and phones already have consumers who are interested and at a cheaper cost. Consoles are for bigger games. Hence why the PS4 is crushing the competition. I will buy Yooka-Lalee on PS4, but Horizon: Zero Dawn is the reason big budget destroys indies even when they are combined. What value does an indie game have compared to that beast or Zelda? Really HZD makes it hard to play anything less ...including the likes of The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4.

I wish I had a portion of the passion or posses for that game.

CraigMack said:

You are starting to sound like a paid poster for Horizon Zero Dawn.

Around the Network

I definitely feel as though Indie devs are getting more recognition and importance, but I would say their games are mainly used as filler games that add to the overall experience of the console, rather than system sellers. They are generally just used as additional pros imo.

That being said, I think it is great to see the positive relationship Nintendo has with Indies and hopefully that positive flow will spread to bigger companies.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

irstupid said:

I imagine people who bash and hate on Nintendo for being kiddy and so on are basically falling for the same type of thing as me. I'm being blinded by my perception of a game and missing out on some great games.

Your growing as a person, now listen to your inner wisdom and act accorgingly to break away from your progamming  ;)

Platina said:

Bigger games usually interest me more, unfortunately

Yes, that is truely unfortunate 

Of the ones shown in the most recent display here are the ones I either for sure will buy or probably will:

Yookie Laylee

Flipping Death (I have a Tim Burton movie type obsession)

Wargroove

Stardew Valley

and maybe Runner 3

I'm really excited about Flipping Death. I was a big fan of Stick it to the Man.

Proud Owner of:

Atari: 2600 5200 Jaguar

Sega: Master System Genesis (W/CD) Saturn Dreamcast Game Gear

Nintendo: NES SNES N64 Gamecube WII WIIU GB GBA(W/e-Reader) DS(i) 3DS

Sony: PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4(W/VR) PSP

Microsoft: XBOX XBOX360

Other: Colecovision, TurboGrafx-16, OUYA, R-Zone Super Screen, Xavix, Intellivision

Windows 10 w/ 12GB RAM, first Gen i7 processor, and 480 GTX; MacBook Air