By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favourite opening hour of a videogame?

ICO.  You're told nothing.  It's all about discovery and stretching your own imagination around the framework of what you experience.

Around the Network

I guess Rune Factory 4 would fit that category for me..

I knew what I was jumping into (after playing 3) so my expectations were high, and the game expands on everything RF3 did right and made it better so I had a blast playing it for the first time

Another would actually be Pokemon Diamond..

I haven't played a Pokemon game for quite some time, since I got the NDS pretty late and didn't play much of the GBA games, as I didn't find RS or FRLG to be very interesting.. I had fond memories of playing Pokemon Red and training up my team, so when I picked up Diamond for the first time and played it, I had that great feeling of playing a brand new adventure with completely new Pokemon.

That excitement only lasted for about an hour but it was great :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Bioshock infinite is one of my favourite too but Metal gear solid V The phantom pain it's simply phenomenal. Even The last of us it's magnificent.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are great, as you're dumped right into the action from the off. Completely at odds with the gradual descent into the original, which is also brilliant.

Similar contrast with the first two Dino Crisis games, both of which I thoroughly enjoy too.

The original Tomb Raider, you can jump right in. Complete isolation, minimalist music, exploring massive areas, finding secrets, battling wild animals and the like.

Walking out of Vortex Rikers in Unreal in 1998 was the most epic moment.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Mega Man X. No fucking cutscenes, no bullshit tutorial, just you and the game. The intro stage is especially genius. It teaches you everything you need to know about the game right while you're playing it. You don't need to learn the game, you just experience it first hand. That technique sadly got forgotten by AAA developers and I only see it every once in a while from indies, like in the Binding of Isaac.

Funny enough, I can rush through Mega Man X today in under an hour. But anyway, it's still my favourite opening by far.

Present me a long ass cutscene or boring tutorials and I am instantly turned off by a game.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

I have so many but Uncharted 4, Bioshock, Bloodborne and Resident Evil 4 for me.

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets!

Castlevania Lord's of Shadow 2 have a insane Opening but the rest is just ok....

Naruto Storm Series:

God of War 3

Shadow of the Colossus ( The First Colossus )

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Tetris

Hunting Season is done...

While the first hour of the game includes very little gameplay, Persona 3 takes the crown for me.
The starts off with great music, a bunch of Evangelion references (even though it's mostly LCL like liquid and the imagery around the moon, which makes sense later on), a bunch of great cutscenes that try to look too edgy at times but set up the atmoisphere of the dark hour, Thanatos first appearance and a lot of foreshadowing overall, including signing off the contract.