By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: The Graphical Focus Of Microsoft's Scorpio Already Feels Outdated

In all reality, even Nintendo will be at scorpio levels at some point. So what needs to happen is continuous improvement in how gaming assets are created such that costs are decreased proportionally. Its really a concern for the gaming industry and not necessarily the consoles that are pushing the boundaries.

This is why Nintendo's options are good. They allow a lower risk, lower cost platform with a variety of functionality. Especially good for Nintendo to continue to creep up hardware specs at a slower rate. Keeps their costs down too.

Around the Network

TV based home consoles have been in decline since peaking in 2008. It will continue to decline, but at a decreasing rate, until something kills it. The Switch may not be the home console killer, but it will disrupt/damage it further, and its successor may be the slayer.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shadow1980 said:
Jumpin said:
TV based home consoles have been in decline since peaking in 2008. It will continue to decline, but at a decreasing rate, until something kills it. The Switch may not be the home console killer, but it will disrupt/damage it further, and its successor may be the slayer.

The decline is 100% on Nintendo's end. PlayStation and Xbox sales are doing fine.

Funny how he didn't mention the obvious HH market decline.  Something that may definitely hurt the Switch. 

Also, the home console market was inflated last gen because of the Wii's success in bringing in casuals.  I think this gen we are going to see something more in line with the 6th gen, or ~200M consoles sold for the Big 3.  Wii U is probably going to end at ~15M.  I'm guessing XBO/Scorpio may end up ~50M-55M.  And the PS4/Pro will probably end up ~115M-120M.

Scorpio will outsell the switch lifetime.

thismeintiel said:
Shadow1980 said:

The decline is 100% on Nintendo's end. PlayStation and Xbox sales are doing fine.

Funny how he didn't mention the obvious HH market decline.  Something that may definitely hurt the Switch. 

Also, the home console market was inflated last gen because of the Wii's success in bringing in casuals.  I think this gen we are going to see something more in line with the 6th gen, or ~200M consoles sold for the Big 3.  Wii U is probably going to end at ~15M.  I'm guessing XBO/Scorpio may end up ~50M-55M.  And the PS4/Pro will probably end up ~115M-120M.

Playstation 2: 150 million.
Xbox: 24 million.
Dreamcast: 9.1 million.
Gamecube 21.7 million.

Total: 204.8 million consoles that gen which went from 1998 - 2013 when Dreamcast started and PS2 ended, which is 15 years long.

Wii: 101.6 million.
Xbox 360: 84 million.
Playstation 3: 80 million.

265.6 million that gen, which was kickstarted by the Xbox 360 and ended by the Xbox 360 from 2005 - 2016, 11 years long.

If we break that down on a per-year basis...

That means 13.6 million devices were sold in 6th gen per year, 24.1 million consoles sold per year in 7th gen.

Now lets look at 8th gen.

Xbox One: 28.3 million.
Wii U 13.8 million.
Playstation 4: 54.8 million.

The generation started with the Wii U in 2012 and is on-going which would mark it as 5 years by the end of this year. (Disclaimer: Nothing is aligned by launch date, so there will be discrepencies.) which means 96.9 million consoles have been sold or 19.38 million consoles a year.
If the Playstation 4 adds another 15 million consoles, the Xbox One another 9 million by the end of this year... (Which is about average I would think) then you could be looking at roughly 24.1 million consoles per year this gen so far.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
Console gaming isnt dying. Microsoft is.

I guess you must mean Xbox because MS as a company is doing fantastic.  

Edit: But even then, Xbox is doing fine as well. 

Thespiralmatrix said:

WiiU will outsell  the Scorpio  LT : p 

I agree, décent next gen graphics are good but focusing on this now during thé Middle of thé génération is pretty stupid , its like arriving very late after the battle " hey me too i can do what you did"

Graphics were thé superficial way to choose à console when There was no other way, but now after 4 years of this generation, people will just choose looking at thé best library of games, thé most important at thé end

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Thespiralmatrix said:

WiiU will outsell  the Scorpio  LT : p 

So basically, the Switch is doomed? xD

Mystro-Sama said:
I keep saying the Scorpio is pointless. Microsoft is just dick measuring with Sony.

Hmmm... no. There is demand for a more powerful box that takes advantage of 4K TVs and enhances performance/graphics. Most importantly, it doesn't phase out the old hardware.

X1 also had the stigma of being an underpowered machine due to lower resolution games, now MS gets to have technically superior ports. Not a bad direction to go.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)