By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony has sold 915k PSVR units to date

JWeinCom said:
Just not enough to develop a major game for it. It's questionable at this point whether or not its even worth making an optimized VR mode for a game like RE7.

well, according to this PSVR is just about 1.6% of the total PS4 install base, but makes up 9.5% of the RE7 user base (which is including PC/X1 gamers) registered at http://www.residentevil.net/uk/sevenrecord.html?ref=portal-uk--sevenrecord-index-titlemenu

Around the Network
4k1x3r said:
John2290 said:
Oh that is a tiny number.

As opposed to the estimated 243k for the Oculus Rift and 420k for the HTC Vive, such a tiny number indeed.

OT: as a developper, I still wouldn't see why I would develop a game for a 910k player base unless I'm hella confident my game will help increase thet player base in a meaningful way.

devs aren't making money from their VR games in general, it's why there is a lot of exclusivity deals being made from the PC headsets

I think there will be real issues for this part of the industry going forward

Lafiel said:
JWeinCom said:
Just not enough to develop a major game for it. It's questionable at this point whether or not its even worth making an optimized VR mode for a game like RE7.

well, according to this PSVR is just about 1.6% of the total PS4 install base, but makes up 9.5% of the RE7 user base (which is including PC/X1 gamers) registered at http://www.residentevil.net/uk/sevenrecord.html?ref=portal-uk--sevenrecord-index-titlemenu

They say it's at 150K vr users.  That's only out of people sending in game data, so it's probably a bit more than that.

The question is, how many people bought the game for VR that wouldn't have bought the game otherwise?

That's far too little in such a long time, at least for Sony's standards, I expect Vita level of support from Sony on PSVR, it's just too small of an install base to invest in a PSVR version for almost any game

Already outselling virtual boy ,I think it's a solid number.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Oh that is a tiny number.

What did you expect? I think that Sony made a mistake with not having a proper handle on production, but it was always going to be a niche product. Especially at the start.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I wonder what the current sales rate is.

Are they still selling all the systems they can put out there?

RolStoppable said:
Means that Superdata got something right for once. They revised their estimate to 750k by the end of 2016.

If we assume that their estimates for Oculus Rift and Vive are correct (not much faith in that), then we'll be looking at ~2m units sold for all three VR headsets combined over their respective first twelve months.

Yeesh.

JWeinCom said:
Lafiel said:

They say it's at 150K vr users.  That's only out of people sending in game data, so it's probably a bit more than that.

The question is, how many people bought the game for VR that wouldn't have bought the game otherwise?

as PSVR user base seems really overrepresented and assuming they are not a _lot_ more likely to send out data (I see little reason why they would), I'd infer that a lot of them bought the game for VR, otherwise I would expect PSVR user base to be around 2-3% of the total PS4 user base for RE7

Idk abt worldwide, but in japan, the hype for psvr is insane. I went to tokyo for a business trip 3 days ago and I can safely say psvr is more popular than any other console currently in japan (that includes 3ds and switch)