By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Bill Maher is a bloody hypocrite

JWeinCom said:
Nem said:

The problem is that is not necesserely true. It varies from person to person.

In a legal sense yeah, its the law that was aproved. But morally, i think it depends on the situation. One remedy for all situations is not always the right thing to perscript.

No.  It is true.  Pretty much always.  There are parts of the brain that are simply not developed to the extent of an adult brain.  The part of the body that regulates impulse and makes decisions is not fully formed in males till about 25, and I think about 22 in females.  Unless the child in question is a prodigy, their brains are not as developed as the adult in the situation, and they are not consenting as equals.

There's really no moral argument to be made for a 30ish year old teacher having sex with a 12 year old boy.  There would have to be something incredibly out of the ordinary (so out of the ordinary that I can't think what it might even be) about the situation.  And, of course, Bill Maher had no information with which he could have decided that this situation was unique.

You are making alot of assumptions. You are taking it as simply a sexual urge. Have you thought that this 14 year old is developed and was informed of what the consequences are? If it was just sex, they could very well have avoided pregnancy. The fact that they haven't and it was clearly intended as it happened a second time, tells me there was thought that went into it. It wasn't just a fling. 

And sorry to say, but i was well aware of the consequences of my actions by age 13. Education and how developed the body is plays an important part. You are just putting a label on everyone that may or may not fit.

This is a situation i would not pass judgment on without hearing the parts.

Around the Network

I like Bill Maher. I don't agree with him on everything, but hes funny at least.

Like Milo, Bill Maher is a bit of a comedian/entertainer who specializes in shock value. Like Milo, I wouldn't take his words at face value. I certainly don't agree with what he said here, but I don't think he should be drawn and quartered for it.

Nem said:
JWeinCom said:

No.  It is true.  Pretty much always.  There are parts of the brain that are simply not developed to the extent of an adult brain.  The part of the body that regulates impulse and makes decisions is not fully formed in males till about 25, and I think about 22 in females.  Unless the child in question is a prodigy, their brains are not as developed as the adult in the situation, and they are not consenting as equals.

There's really no moral argument to be made for a 30ish year old teacher having sex with a 12 year old boy.  There would have to be something incredibly out of the ordinary (so out of the ordinary that I can't think what it might even be) about the situation.  And, of course, Bill Maher had no information with which he could have decided that this situation was unique.

You are making alot of assumptions. You are taking it as simply a sexual urge. Have you thought that this 14 year old is developed and was informed of what the consequences are? If it was just sex, they could very well have avoided pregnancy. The fact that they haven't and it was clearly intended as it happened a second time, tells me there was thought that went into it. It wasn't just a fling. 

And sorry to say, but i was well aware of the consequences of my actions by age 13. Education and how developed the body is plays an important part. You are just putting a label on everyone that may or may not fit.

He was 12 years old.  Not 14. 

I am taking it as a sexual urge because that is generally why people have sex.  I'd be really shocked if she chose to engage in a sex crime with no kind of sexual desire.  And the sex is the part we're concerned with, cause that's the illegal part. Gross as it may be, it is perfectly legal to carry on a platonic romantic relationship with someone of that age.   How long they planned it, or how long the paedophilia continued is irrelevant.  That just makes it a premeditated crime which is actually quite a bit worse.  

Of course you're aware of consequences.  My cat is aware of consequences.  But knowing what the consequences are and being able to make good choices based on that information are two very different skills.

For those who are neither impaired nor prodigal, the brain develops at a predictable rate.  In the teenage years, the prefrontal cortex (controlling rational and logical thought) is still developing.  When making decisions, the prefrontal cortex is activated much less than an adult's (and different parts of the prefrontal cortex).  Meanwhile, the amygdala (which controls emotions) is activated far more in the decision making process.  Furthermore, the links between the limbic system and prefrontal cortex are among the last parts of the brain to develop, so the prefrontal cortex cannot regulate emotions.  Hormones interfere with the brain's production of seratonin, a neurotransmitter which is key in regulating impluses.  These are things you might know if you'd studied child psychology.  That's not even getting into the hormone levels 

A 12 year old's brain is simply not developed to the point a 35 year old's brain is.  This is not a label I'm making, these are facts that you would know if you studied child psychology.  One twelve year old's brain may develop slightly quicker or slower than another's but there is virtually no possibility that the brain would have developed 13 years faster than comparable to others his age.  

A 34 year old and a 12 year old are worlds apart in terms of decision making abilities.  Again, not a label, that's a biological fact.  Her ability to make a rational decision far exceeded his.  That's what we call taking advantage of someone.  And that's why pedophilia is wrong.  

If you think there are certain situations that it's ok for an adult to have sex with a 12 year old, then you support paedophilia... and that's kind of deplorable.  I would suggest studying more about child psychology and brain development and hopefully you'll come to a less deplorable conclusion.

Nem said:

I am pretty sure you are wrong.

Bill mahr is fighting the good fight, in a country where it would be easier to just give up.

Also, i didn't watch the video, but from skimming the article, it sounds like a rape vs love situation, wich are very different. The case he defended was a couple where she was pregnant twice. She wasn't forcing the boy either and it's quite difficult to rape men. That doesn't qualify as rape, when its consentual.

Bill Maher is basically saying consensual sex between adults and minors is okay. Many of us are reluctant to saying its okay. I mean if you had a young daughter I doubt you would want adults hanging around trying to fuck her. But by definitinon its not rape.

I believe liberals mean well, but trying to put more government in our lives is often a mess.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Nem said:

I am pretty sure you are wrong.

Bill mahr is fighting the good fight, in a country where it would be easier to just give up.

Also, i didn't watch the video, but from skimming the article, it sounds like a rape vs love situation, wich are very different. The case he defended was a couple where she was pregnant twice. She wasn't forcing the boy either and it's quite difficult to rape men. That doesn't qualify as rape, when its consentual.

Bill Maher is basically saying consensual sex between adults and minors is okay. Many of us are reluctant to saying its okay. I mean if you had a young daughter I doubt you would want adults hanging around trying to fuck her. But by definitinon its not rape.

I believe liberals mean well, but trying to put more government in our lives is often a mess.

Ergh... this is what i don't agree with you see.

You are passing judgment for each and every situation without knowing the facts. That is arrogant in my view.

With women its a bit more complicated, but mahr is talking about a boy.

Nem said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You are passing judgment for each and every situation without knowing the facts. That is arrogant in my view.

Why is it different for males or females?

JWeinCom said:
Nem said:

He was 12 years old.  Not 14. 

I am taking it as a sexual urge because that is generally why people have sex.  I'd be really shocked if she chose to engage in a sex crime with no kind of sexual desire.  And the sex is the part we're concerned with, cause that's the illegal part. Gross as it may be, it is perfectly legal to carry on a platonic romantic relationship with someone of that age.   How long they planned it, or how long the paedophilia continued is irrelevant.  That just makes it a premeditated crime which is actually quite a bit worse.  

Of course you're aware of consequences.  My cat is aware of consequences.  But knowing what the consequences are and being able to make good choices based on that information are two very different skills.

For those who are neither impaired nor prodigal, the brain develops at a predictable rate.  In the teenage years, the prefrontal cortex (controlling rational and logical thought) is still developing.  When making decisions, the prefrontal cortex is activated much less than an adult's (and different parts of the prefrontal cortex).  Meanwhile, the amygdala (which controls emotions) is activated far more in the decision making process.  Furthermore, the links between the limbic system and prefrontal cortex are among the last parts of the brain to develop, so the prefrontal cortex cannot regulate emotions.  Hormones interfere with the brain's production of seratonin, a neurotransmitter which is key in regulating impluses.  These are things you might know if you'd studied child psychology.  That's not even getting into the hormone levels 

A 12 year old's brain is simply not developed to the point a 35 year old's brain is.  This is not a label I'm making, these are facts that you would know if you studied child psychology.  One twelve year old's brain may develop slightly quicker or slower than another's but there is virtually no possibility that the brain would have developed 13 years faster than comparable to others his age.  

A 34 year old and a 12 year old are worlds apart in terms of decision making abilities.  Again, not a label, that's a biological fact.  Her ability to make a rational decision far exceeded his.  That's what we call taking advantage of someone.  And that's why pedophilia is wrong.  

If you think there are certain situations that it's ok for an adult to have sex with a 12 year old, then you support paedophilia... and that's kind of deplorable.  I would suggest studying more about child psychology and brain development and hopefully you'll come to a less deplorable conclusion.

Sigh... 

Again, you are saying there should be a measure that applies to everyone, when as you yourself admit there are exceptions of premature development.

You may think that makes me a supporter of pedophilia, wich is ludicrous, but i defend people's right to love each other, wich is their own personal right. That for me is more important than at what age you stipulate that is acceptable. The fact that you don't understand that i find also deplorable. You think its ok to dictate the life of strangers without beeing aware of the facts. That is arrogance of the highest level.

For example, it was a crime for a white and a black to have a child in south africa not a long time ago. This is people dictating what others can and can not do without having any knowledge of the fact. I really, really dislike that kind of arrogance.

Yes, in your general case, it is likely that a 12 year old doesnt have the means to make an informed decision. That doesn't mean that applies to all of them. As i said, it's not only up to physical but educational development.

irstupid said:
Nem said:

Theres a stigma connected to virginity that makes it like a female loses more if the wrong decision is made.

Nem said:
irstupid said:

Theres a stigma connected to virginity that makes it like a female loses more if the wrong decision is made.

What does a stigma have to do with anything. You sound like the cliche dad where he is proud of his son for getting a girlfriend, yet furious at his duaghter for getting a boyfriend (at the same age)

This is about a person maturity and whehter they can make a decision to have sex with an older person at that age.