By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Polygon: Zelda Breath of the Wild is the hardest Zelda game of the last twenty years

guiduc said:
vivster said:

I would actually prefer that if it's an option.

It is. You can turn it off and on.

I'm a bit more optimistic about the game now. I intend to play it with the Joycons anyway, preferably even without the Joycon holder.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Anfebious said:

Those three you mentioned are among the easiest zelda games. The difficulty should be like Zelda 1!

Yeah okay. It wouldn't be a bad thing if BotW is harder than those. They're more difficult than the other 3D games, but they and ALttP are a lot easier than the NES games, LA and the Oracles for sure.

ALttP is about as close to perfect as a Zelda game has gotten in terms of finding the right balance. You can hold onto healing items and find hearts and fairies by chopping grass and breaking pottery, but it happens so rarely that you have to really be careful to preserve your health and play like your  life is on the line. I loved the dungeons from that game not because they were especially clever or anything, but because each run-through left me feeling like John McClane in Die Hard by the time I finished them.

Wind Waker might has well as not even had a health meter. The game was fun, but I just remember spending the whole game feeling like Aounuma thinks I'm a baby.

h2ohno said:
It may be harder than any other 3d game, but no way is it harder than Zelda 2.

Aside from a part in Death Mountain with the axe guys. I don't find Zelda 2 particularly difficult. I just finished it a couple of months ago. I think people probably think these old NES games are more difficult than they are because they were kids when they played them.

Games like Super Castlevania, Sonic 2, and other early 16-bit games are more difficult.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

"Nintendo games are too childish"

Kiria said:
ktay95 said:

Yeah I think they just forgot about Zelda 2

well Zelda 2 did release 20 years ago in Japan, and 19 years ago for the rest, so it's a fair statement :p

Are you sure about Japan? It released nearly 30 years ago in Europe.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:

ktay95 said:
h2ohno said:

But that game came out 30 years ago, so the "last twenty years" part means that it doesn't include that game.

VGPolyglot said:
h2ohno said:

ktay95 said:

But that game came out 30 years ago, so the "last twenty years" part means that it doesn't include that game.

I'll admit I didnt read the article, just saw a tweet saying it was the hardest Zelda since the original

While this statement fills my heart with hope, it really doesn't mean anything coming from Polygon.

That's pretty cool. My skills have waned as I've aged, as has my patience for difficulty, but I can still roll. A game like this should have a hardcore edge to it. Hope it's not TOO hard, but this news will make most people happy, I think.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Yeah... I'll wait until I play it myself before I reach a verdict there. "Harder than Zelda 1&2." Riiiiiight.