By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch battery life: 2h 48m when playing Zelda

We will see, the game outside online will probably be 2h30 too
Wifi Is à Big battery drainer when constantly used on an online game as youll see with MK tests

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Around the Network
Aerys said:
We will see, the game outside online will probably be 2h30 too
Wifi Is à Big battery drainer when constantly used on an online game as youll see with MK tests

As I just show you Zelda lasts more than 2h 30, stop lying

Wifi on and wifi being heavily used are two different states assuming same as Vita.

So I think Mario Kart will have a huge hit to battery life when online.

Also I don't think Zelda is going to be the most battery consuming title. It's a title that also works on wii u for the same gaming experience and that console probably has at least half the cpu performance of Switch. I think Skyrim will be a bigger test as its graphics are more realistic and the engine is more cpu intensive. It's a real test to the performance of a system assuming developed to a high standard and pushing the hardware. Like Zelda though its a single player experience so wifi not required. Playing Skyrim on my windows tablet eats through the battery at a alarming rate and that is with Skyrim set to very low graphic output settings using a custom text file that sets it below normal low quality settings and at a lower resolution than the native resolution of the display just to get it working well on the tablet. The tablet has higher cpu performance than Switch but much lower gpu performance. Something like 50-80 gflops I think.

I couldn't find my tablet shown but this is similar;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZZexGQB1gA

So you can imagine Skyrim at 720p pushing the limits of both gpu and cpu should really eat battery life. The game is always loading new data and processing a physics engine and other background elements to the game world. Texturing and lighting is realistic with texturing detail even on small graphics. Even looking at a tree stump near the village where you start shows ants crossing over the cut tree trunk.

Seems battery life and desyncs aren't the only issue, the joycons can easily be slid out of the console without even pressing the release buttons.

Rearranged my entire entertainment center yesterday and made a spot for the Switch. Three more days and I'll perform my own battery tests (comparing it to Vita, New Nintendo 3DS, 3DS, and WiiU). Of course, the other devices are old and competing with a brand new Switch.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Rearranged my entire entertainment center yesterday and made a spot for the Switch. Three more days and I'll perform my own battery tests (comparing it to Vita, New Nintendo 3DS, 3DS, and WiiU). Of course, the other devices are old and competing with a brand new Switch.

Make sure you play the thing for the battery tests. Saw one test where they just left the game running with no input at all which is hardly a realistic test. You need to play it, get the console loading data and processing etc like real use.

Remember li-ion batteries don't charge fully the first few uses. They gradually increase their maximum charge after half a dozen charges there abouts. After that sadly it's all downhill. 

NATO said:
Seems battery life and desyncs aren't the only issue, the joycons can easily be slid out of the console without even pressing the release buttons.

No , its only when you make it fall once, then thé joycons cant remain on thé console

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:
NATO said:

No , its only when you make it fall once, then thé joycons cant remain on thé console

dude on the stream dropped it and said the blue one came off, but when they looked into it more, both come off just as easilly, without the button pressed.

it's poor design, pure and simple.

Considering its price and all the room available, Ninty could have equipped it whith a higher capacity battery, current tech allows up to 10000mAh batteries in a 5.5" smartphone with a $200 list price like the Oukitel K10000.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Goodnightmoon said:
Aerys said:
2h30 without WiFI, what will it be on an online game... 1h30 ?

Thats probably thé most disapppointing About this console.
Though theyll probbaly make à better model with better battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiBtZ34vuQg

3 hours and 3 minutes with the Wifi ON and the bright at default (75%)

You keep being wrong, again and again. 

If only that was the case. I linked a renowed website, you linked some random youtube video.

Sure, lets go with your dream land. Reality will settle soon enough.