By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch battery life: 2h 48m when playing Zelda

Dravenet7 said:
NATO said:

He specifically says the left one came off when he dropped it, then when showing the difference with the two, realizes the right one comes off easily too, all of this after a Nintendo rep told them it was built to take a beating.

however you spin it, a latched mechanism should not be able to be defeated by a small amount of force, and it shows that over time with continued use the problem would only get worse as the plastic slide rails wear down.

you can wave your hand and dismiss it all you want, but that's going to be a genuine issue within the first 6 months of release for a lot of people.

You tell 'em. I'm so sick of fans ACTUALLY DEFENDING faulty functions of the hardware. They always try to dissmiss, attack, and downplay genuine criticism and spin it in their favor. They don't understand that criticisms such as this are NOT blind attacks. Calling out problems like this is exactly what Nintendo needs right now. People need to accept the faults that are cited.

I mean look at this

Just like the thing you just mentioned, this is a serious issue! So what if he used a little force to snap off the Joycons from the Switch? So what if they gave the Switch a teeny weeny, completely unnoticeable nudge by smacking it down with a Joycon to knock  it over its stand? So what? There's no way these are worse than grossly exaggerated. These are serious issues!

You got me for a moment there xD

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:

You tell 'em. I'm so sick of fans ACTUALLY DEFENDING faulty functions of the hardware. They always try to dissmiss, attack, and downplay genuine criticism and spin it in their favor. They don't understand that criticisms such as this are NOT blind attacks. Calling out problems like this is exactly what Nintendo needs right now. People need to accept the faults that are cited.

I mean look at this

Just like the thing you just mentioned, this is a serious issue! So what if he used a little force to snap off the Joycons from the Switch? So what if they gave the Switch a teeny weeny, completely unnoticeable nudge by smacking it down with a Joycon to knock  it over its stand? So what? There's no way these are worse than grossly exaggerated. These are serious issues!

Your thinly veiled sarcasm was a nice effort, and I agree, the kickstand debate is nonsensical, nobody is going to be shuffling the thing around in kickstand mode, it's a non issue.

However there being an issue with how the controllers attach to the main console - an integral part of the systems design and one of the most important areas of product design where you would want the most security and engineering attention to be placed, is a fail on nintendo's part.

A solid latch mechanism isn't hard, and it's not like they've never done it before - try removing a gameboy cartidge while the console is on for example.

Whether it require a small amount of force as with the right controller, or a small drop popping one off as with the left controller - for a product the reps themselves claimed was supposed to be durable, that's a failure in design, latches aren't supposed to fail, even when forced, that is the whole purpose of a latch. - Keep in mind he states clearly that the blue controller was the one that popped off when he dropped it, then re-watch this where he very easilly pushes off the red controller with his thumb, and very little force: https://youtu.be/pln9CL8eYTQ?t=115

And as i've experienced first hand in my job when working with ABS and composite PLA materials that are used on the switch, it does not take much time for the plastic to wear down, and if the looseness of their joycons is a result of a short amount of time adding a little pressure, gets it to a point where the blue one comes off with next to no force at all, then it stands to reason that the material used for the clip isn't substantial enough and will wear over time, whether you baby the system or not, because button pressed or not, wear will still occur under normal use.

Like I already said, it's fine if you guys want to wave your hand and dismiss it, and you're welcome to do exactly that, it doesn't fix the issue however, and it's an issue that's only going to get worse over time until Nintendo either release a redesign or change the material used for the latch.

Im pretty sure that is on highest brightness for screen settings though. I mean, I don't think i can get that on my 3ds with the highest brightness setting honestly. 

NATO said:

Like I already said, it's fine if you guys want to wave your hand and dismiss it, and you're welcome to do exactly that, it doesn't fix the issue however, and it's an issue that's only going to get worse over time until Nintendo either release a redesign or change the material used for the latch.

Are there any other instances of this happening? Because this is the only I have heard of and was previously dropped on a hard surface (just because left is the only to come off when dropped, doesnt mean right wasnt affected).

Its hard to call something an issue when there is only one example of it happening making it reasonable to dismiss until further examples (preferably when not dropped on concrete) come to surface.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NATO said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Oh you.

Not only they admited that their console felt into concrete floor before realizing that the Joycons could slide without pressing the button, which suggests that could have been damaged on the fall since nobody else seems to be reporting this, but also they are far from just sliding randomly and unexpectedly:

Good work with your hyperboles, even in neogaf people is laughing at this

He specifically says the left one came off when he dropped it, then when showing the difference with the two, realizes the right one comes off easily too, all of this after a Nintendo rep told them it was built to take a beating.

however you spin it, a latched mechanism should not be able to be defeated by a small amount of force, and it shows that over time with continued use the problem would only get worse as the plastic slide rails wear down.

you can wave your hand and dismiss it all you want, but that's going to be a genuine issue within the first 6 months of release for a lot of people.

If Nintendo says it can take a beating, I'll believe them.

I've owned PS 1,2,3 

the one  died after a good run and the three is fine but the 2's disc tray wouldn't open after 6 months.

I had to buy two 360's because of the RROD

I've own every Nintendo console and one handheld.

I spilt a mug of rootbeer onto and in my super nes, i turned it upside down and let it sit for a couple of days and it was fine.

I left my 3ds on the roof of my car and drove away and it fell off 6 blocks later. A few scratches but everything works 100% still.

I did have to replace my original NES PIN connector.

Most companies have been reliable and Nintendo has prided themeselves on making durable products.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
NATO said:

Are there any other instances of this happening? Because this is the only I have heard of and was previously dropped on a hard surface (just because left is the only to come off when dropped, doesnt mean right wasnt affected).

Its hard to call something an issue when there is only one example of it happening making it reasonable to dismiss until further examples (preferably when not dropped on concrete) come to surface.

Let's be honest here, the likelyhood that a small fall broke the latch on one side is fairly good, he even stated that it popped off when it fell, the other however didn't, and the likelyhood that both latch mechanisms broke when the unit was dropped is much, much smaller.

But this still leaves two issues, 

1) the latches are prone to breaking - wear or not, a small fall could break both latches - this isn't a great outcome regardless.
2) right now there are only a very small number of reviewers with their hands on switch consoles, (maybe 500 or so worldwide?), and while I agree this being the only instance well documented regarding it, you also have to keep in mind that the majority of these reviewers are using units they need to use in the future for reviews of games, so they will have a tendancy to baby the system much more than the average customer would.

The real question here is, what happens when that number of 500 or so changes to 1 million?, even at a ration of 1 in 500, a million consoles sold results in thousands of people with the issue if that million all baby the system in the same way - when you have hundreds of thousands of kids who aren't so careful with their hands on them, I can see that number being much different.

As I said, it's a design failure, a latched controller should only be removable by manually depressing the latch button - for the gameboy the cartidge latch was just a 1.5mm thick plastic protrusion from the power button that would slide out into the slot in the corner of the cartidge and it was enough to prevent the removal of carts, even with a great amount of force - yet with the switch, it's potentially possible to pop it off with much, much less.

I suspect Nintendo will release a revised model that uses a slightly different but compatible latch design at some point this year, likely swapping the ABS material used for the latch clip with a composite material too, to reduce the wear issue.

lasershow said:

Most companies have been reliable and Nintendo has prided themeselves on making durable products.

That's great and all, but Nintendo's legacy thus far for old time gamers has been the "blow on cartidge connector" trick, which itself resulted from a poorly designed PCB connector interface, and DS/DSi/DSl/3DS hinges would snap left and right, even under normal use - hell, mine has a crack in the shoulder where the hinge barrel is housed just from extremely light use - then theres the upper screen ribbon connector dying, F1 and F2 fuses on all models of DS popping and killing systems for just about any reason you can imagine, touchscreen failures, N64 controller analog sticks grinding themselves to a pile of dust with light use, gamecubes and wiis failing to read disks, wavebird wireless modules dying, gamecarts killing savegames because of internal batteries dying, because the price of a battery was a little less than storing the save on persistent memory instead?

no manufacturer is immune to product failures, Nintendo just used to get away with it more because their consoles *used to be* much simpler designs than the competition, that isn't the case anymore.

PS4 not reading disks, hdmi output failing, ejection sled failing, laser diode failing, same for xbox one, same for wiiu, all common problems because they are all wear parts that have the potential to fail at any point, design issues like a lot of usb drives not fitting in Ps4 because of the overhang around the ports, xbox one controller battery doors not fitting nicely and rattling, original ps4 rocking if light pressure was applied to one side, it's all design failures, and can and should be pointed out.

Potential problems and design failures need to be brought to light so they can be fixed, sweeping them under the rug gives the manufacturer the freedom to continue to keep releasing products with sub par design, and as much as people may feel affection for a particular console, they should also like them enough to identify, discuss and address the faults those systems have, and where applicable, seek for a partricular issue to be rectified.

NATO said:
lasershow said:

That's great and all, but Nintendo's legacy thus far for old time gamers has been the "blow on cartidge connector" trick, which itself resulted from a poorly designed PCB connector interface, and DS/DSi/DSl/3DS hinges would snap left and right, even under normal use - hell, mine has a crack in the shoulder where the hinge barrel is housed just from extremely light use - then theres the upper screen ribbon connector dying, F1 and F2 fuses on all models of DS popping and killing systems for just about any reason you can imagine, touchscreen failures, N64 controller analog sticks grinding themselves to a pile of dust with light use, gamecubes and wiis failing to read disks, wavebird wireless modules dying, gamecarts killing savegames because of internal batteries dying, because the price of a battery was a little less than storing the save on persistent memory instead?

no manufacturer is immune to product failures, Nintendo just used to get away with it more because their consoles *used to be* much simpler designs than the competition, that isn't the case anymore.

PS4 not reading disks, hdmi output failing, ejection sled failing, laser diode failing, same for xbox one, same for wiiu, all common problems because they are all wear parts that have the potential to fail at any point, design issues like a lot of usb drives not fitting in Ps4 because of the overhang around the ports, xbox one controller battery doors not fitting nicely and rattling, original ps4 rocking if light pressure was applied to one side, it's all design failures, and can and should be pointed out.

Potential problems and design failures need to be brought to light so they can be fixed, sweeping them under the rug gives the manufacturer the freedom to continue to keep releasing products with sub par design, and as much as people may feel affection for a particular console, they should also like them enough to identify, discuss and address the faults those systems have, and where applicable, seek for a partricular issue to be rectified.

I understand alot of your points except for battery storage, when it was used it was either the only option or exceptionally cheaper ( remember ps 1 memory card prices?). All batteries die, it just happens. I still have multiple nes games that have my original save file from the late 80's early 90's.

It is one example i've heard so far of problems and I guess Im more skeptical of one reviewer who dropped a product on the ground than of a company that has in my experience made very reliable products.

NATO said:
zorg1000 said:

Let's be honest here, the likelyhood that a small fall broke the latch on one side is fairly good, he even stated that it popped off when it fell, the other however didn't, and the likelyhood that both latch mechanisms broke when the unit was dropped is much, much smaller.

1) the latches are prone to breaking - wear or not, a small fall could break both latches - this isn't a great outcome regardless.
2) right now there are only a very small number of reviewers with their hands on switch consoles, (maybe 500 or so worldwide?), and while I agree this being the only instance well documented regarding it, you also have to keep in mind that the majority of these reviewers are using units they need to use in the future for reviews of games, so they will have a tendancy to baby the system much more than the average customer would.

The real question here is, what happens when that number of 500 or so changes to 1 million?, even at a ration of 1 in 500, a million consoles sold results in thousands of people with the issue if that million all baby the system in the same way - when you have hundreds of thousands of kids who aren't so careful with their hands on them, I can see that number being much different.

As I said, it's a design failure, a latched controller should only be removable by manually depressing the latch button - for the gameboy the cartidge latch was just a 1.5mm thick plastic protrusion from the power button that would slide out into the slot in the corner of the cartidge and it was enough to prevent the removal of carts, even with a great amount of force - yet with the switch, it's potentially possible to pop it off with much, much less.

I suspect Nintendo will release a revised model that uses a slightly different but compatible latch design at some point this year, likely swapping the ABS material used for the latch clip with a composite material too, to reduce the wear issue.

I dont know how to post twitter posts on here but the guy who had this problem said that it doesnt happen on the 2nd Switch unit he has so its very likely do to the fall.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
NATO said:

I dont know how to post twitter posts on here but the guy who had this problem said that it doesnt happen on the 2nd Switch unit he has so its very likely do to the fall.

Probably was the fall, at the end this showcase that the joycons are even better attached than I though, even if they broke they don't just slide, you need to apply some force for that and even when they slide, they slide to the middle, they don't just drop.