By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch battery life: 2h 48m when playing Zelda

Goodnightmoon said:
Nem said:

I mean, how partial can one be? You are comparing 3DS with full brightness and online functionality to Switch, low brightness, no online online or playing an 8/16 bit style game. 

Do you guys see yourselves? Because it's quite honestly worthless to spend time debating this.

Switch battery life is terrible. If you are good with 2 hours to 2.5 hours, good for you. But this surely isn't what one expects of a portable (wich is fine really because this is a home console afterall). 

But, i don't have to say this. Reality will eventually sink in.

The way you keep making the number lower for no reason kind of tells me how much you are you forcing yourself to believe your own words. Vita hasgames that lasts 2h-2.5h, but nobody questions that, 3DS has games that make the battery go to 3 h, you don't question that, but when Switch is showing you 3 hours in a super demanding game, you say is shitty with no question, ok.

If you compare them under the same circunstances you will find the situation is quite different. And i go down to 2h cause you don't yet have numbers on an online intensive game like mario kart. Zelda is an intensive but off-line game. Also, that will surely not be the best the Switch can do. It's a Wii U game afterall.

I do believe my words because they are honest. I have no reason to suck up to Nintendo or any other console manufacturer.

Around the Network
Nem said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The way you keep making the number lower for no reason kind of tells me how much you are you forcing yourself to believe your own words. Vita hasgames that lasts 2h-2.5h, but nobody questions that, 3DS has games that make the battery go to 3 h, you don't question that, but when Switch is showing you 3 hours in a super demanding game, you say is shitty with no question, ok.

If you compare them under the same circunstances you will find the situation is quite different. And i go down to 2h cause you don't yet have numbers on an online intensive game like mario kart. Zelda is an intensive but off-line game. Also, that will surely not be the best the Switch can do. It's a Wii U game afterall.

I do believe my words because they are honest. I have no reason to suck up to Nintendo or any other console manufacturer.

You don't need a reason you only need pride, if not, you'll be waiting to know how other games perform before claiming the battery lasts 2-2.5h as a standar

Goodnightmoon said:
Nem said:

You don't need a reason you only need pride, if not, you'll be waiting to know how other games perform before claiming the battery lasts 2-2.5h as a standar

Do you have a phone? Compare the battery drain when you have wi-fi on and off. Then compare when you have the wi-fi on and when you are using the browser or watching some videos or some apps.

This isn't rocket science. This isn't a case of "i will just give it the benefit of the doubt". This happens with every single portable console or mobile device. It's a predictable scenario. You think the Switch is gonna be special or something? 

Throw out that pride and use logic, please.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

And another test showed its 3hr 2min with Wifi on and 75% brighness (default setting)

So what? People compare this to the 3DS wich is 3 to 5 hours and try to strech it.

Switch is 2.5 to 3h from what we know. It's miserable. Theres no sweetening this.

And dont come with "oh if we play this indie game or leave it in sleep mode it lasts longer". Just admit it, this battery life is terrible. Because no fan supporting can ever change that.

But, this comes from the same group that thought this system would be out last year. /shrugs

You were talking about how the battery didnt live up to what Nintendo said and that has been disproven. They said 3 hours for Zelda which is pretty much exactly how long you can play Zelda at default settings.

Come again.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Nem said:

So what? People compare this to the 3DS wich is 3 to 5 hours and try to strech it.

Switch is 2.5 to 3h from what we know. It's miserable. Theres no sweetening this.

And dont come with "oh if we play this indie game or leave it in sleep mode it lasts longer". Just admit it, this battery life is terrible. Because no fan supporting can ever change that.

But, this comes from the same group that thought this system would be out last year. /shrugs

You were talking about how the battery didnt live up to what Nintendo said and that has been disproven. They said 3 hours for Zelda which is pretty much exactly how long you can play Zelda at default settings.

Come again.

That is a fat lie if i ever saw one.

Also, "pretty much" is very accurate.

It lasts 2h 40m, not 3 hours. This is because normal people seek to turn the thing off when the warning pops up.

Around the Network
Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

Come again.

It lasts 2h 40m, not 3 hours. This is because normal people seek to turn the thing off when the warning pops up.

The stuborness is strong with you.

The other test said clearly 3h 02m, and no, you don't have to shut it down once the warning pops up because this consoles automatically saves your game before going down. 

Nem said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Do you have a phone? Compare the battery drain when you have wi-fi on and off. Then compare when you have the wi-fi on and when you are using the browser or watching some videos or some apps.

I have a tablet and difference of battery drain with wifi on and off is very small. On smartphones the difference is bigger due to the smaller capacity. The difference on the Switch should be between smartphones and tablets because its battery capacity is also between popular smartphones and tablets.

And the WiFi-connection or Bluetooth-connection aren't the big battery drainers of a smartphone, the cellular connection, 3G and LTE are. The Switch doesn't have cellular, 3G or LTE, so no worries here.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

And another test showed its 3hr 2min with Wifi on and 75% brighness (default setting)

Switch is 2.5 to 3h from what we know.

So why don't you wait for battery tests of other Switch games than Zelda? Oh... because you know it yourself that this argument will fall in a few days, when other Switch games will have a battery life of 4, 5 or 6 hours.

1-2-Switch will probably even exceed 6 hours.

And I hope someone will compare the battery life of Shovel Knight on Switch, Vita OLED, Vita Slim and several 3DS models. A comparison of Dragon Quest Heroes II on Switch and both Vita-models would also be interesting.

Conina said:
Nem said:

Switch is 2.5 to 3h from what we know.

So why don't you wait for battery tests of other Switch games than Zelda? Oh... because you know it yourself that this argument will fall in a few days, when other Switch games will have a battery life of 4, 5 or 6 hours.

1-2-Switch will probably even exceed 6 hours.

And I hope someone will compare the battery life of Shovel Knight on Switch, Vita OLED, Vita Slim and several 3DS models. A comparison of Dragon Quest Heroes II on Switch and both Vita-models would also be interesting.

I am? This thread is about Zelda in normal circustances.
I am ssuming that it will get worse, but i didnt claim it with 100% certainty. It is simply very likely.

Nem said:
zorg1000 said:

Come again.

Whats a lie?

Nintendo said 3 hours and it gets 3 hours at default settings.

That is the dumbest and most biased argument i have ever seen, if thats the type of rebuttals you are going to use than you arent worth discussing with. 

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.