By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch battery life: 2h 48m when playing Zelda

So basically where the OG 3DS was at.
Seriously though this is where batteries and portable gaming are at. Go try to play an intensive game on your phone or laptop and see how long the battery lasts.
The only real workaround is portable batteries. I mean it's that or play less demanding games.
I know I'd rather take Zelda for 3 hours on the go then have it locked down on a home console.

Around the Network

I'm more concerned about the standby battery life. If I leave my fully charged Switch on the nightstand when I go to bed, am I going to wake up in the morning with 50% charge?

Goodnightmoon said:
S.Peelman said:

Uhuh. Now look at a post made just half-an-hour after yours. If you lasted only 8 hours with your GameBoy you had sucky batteries. I brought my GameBoys on holidays for weeks and never changed batteries during. Besides, batteries were also rechargable if needed to, so it's the same. If you bought the correct ones initially of course.

But in any case that was hardly the main point, that statement was merely the lead-up, to the question of how low battery-life must go before it's not acceptable anymore? 2 hours? 1 hour? Or will portability soon require a full charge-pack 100% of the time? I know I'm picking on Switch, but it goes for every modern device. We're now living with devices that only hold out a tenth of the time their old predecessors could. Battery technology needs a giant leap forward sooner rather than later.

Game Boy POCKET had 8-10 battery life, look it up. 

I don't know what you two are debating but I'm going to chime in.

I have an original Gameboy right this second. When I was a kid, I used these AA gold Rite Aid alkaline batteries that used to last 20 hours. My cousin and I tested a billion brands and, for whatever reason, those were the best. I was in high school and he was in middle school. I know how long they were supposed to last but that's how long they lasted. We accepted no substitute.

Also, the original Gameboy used four batteries. The Gameboy pocket only used two. Not sure how relevant that is but I'm just saying.

Carry on.

Trunkin said:
I'm more concerned about the standby battery life. If I leave my fully charged Switch on the nightstand when I go to bed, am I going to wake up in the morning with 50% charge?

This. So many times my 3DS would be dead and I didn't even play it.

monocle_layton said:
Who plays for more than three hours straight? That's just unhealthy...

How long do you play for in a gaming session?

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
Seriously though this is where batteries and portable gaming are at. Go try to play an intensive game on your phone or laptop and see how long the battery lasts.
The only real workaround is portable batteries. I mean it's that or play less demanding games.
I know I'd rather take Zelda for 3 hours on the go then have it locked down on a home console.

Wasn't the OG 3DS 3-5 hours? The Switch is less than the lower limit so not really comparable.

Lawlight said:
ktay95 said:

Wasn't the OG 3DS 3-5 hours? The Switch is less than the lower limit so not really comparable.

Also, higher than the upper limit.

Then again, the 3DS was pushing two screens--one in full 3D.

Lawlight said:
ktay95 said:

3-5 hours isn't comparable to 2.5-6.5 hours... Okay then.

Usually when I play in portable mode, my play sessions are under an hour. I really only do long play sessions when I'm at home.

Lawlight said:

How long do you play for in a gaming session?

I actually can't remember the last time I played more than two hours non-stop.

My gaming sessions are typically about 40 minutes to an hour.