By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer: this is Xbox's best generation so far

Xbox 360 :
- 50 mln new consumers compared to OGX, Xbox became a brand
-shitloads of fresh new games, IPS, also Japanese games
- absolutely best online service
- best indie games portfolio
- very good press, marketing
-on par with PS3 sales, power wise, better multiplats mostly

-RROD, Kinect1.0

If we create a list like this for Xbox One, what exactly will we get ? I wonder.
-  weaker than PS4

-TVTVTV sports sports reveal fail, DRM,stick with 360, always online

- all new games bombed,decline in Halo,Gears

- all multiplats worse sales, power wise than PS4

-online servive, prop on par with PS4

mid gen upgrade

Around the Network

7th generation was the best generation for Microsoft.

Azzanation said:
Loving the comments. Some gamers really have no clue what a success is. Most Successful doesn't mean you have to be number 1 in sales. People take twitter responses way too seriously with no knowledge of the industry. Ever thought his talking on the financial department of Xbox? Or it outpacing its predecessor? Or selling alot more Software? Or gaining alot more subscribers? There are plenty of things that his comment can mean. Not just "it was outsold by PS4, its a failure." Logic.
Not going to lie here. I game primary on my PC and own both a 360 and X1. I have used my X1 more than my 360. Strange.

We've all learned what success is, but Microsoft didnt come into the console industry to play second fiddle to Sony. They came to overthrow them since they were  dominant threat to a budding multimedia market within the console realm. Microsoft runs that elsewhere wants to dominate it here.

Louie said:
Well, he's right, isn't he? Xbox One is selling faster than the 360 did during its first years on the market. People act as if Microsoft was closer to being the market leader last gen but they weren't - the Wii sold a lot faster than the PS4 is selling now and Microsoft took huge losses to push the 360 into the market. This is a decent generation for them.

^ this.

I think Phil Spencer is talking about how much money they made off of the console.

In that sense its perphaps the best console for them to-date (better than 360 or the first xbox).

Still I bet that more xbox dudes where happier about owning a xbox back in the 360 days, than they are now with the One.

In that sense "best generation so far" isnt true, for the gamer, while it might be for MS profit line.

JRPGfan said:
Louie said:
Well, he's right, isn't he? Xbox One is selling faster than the 360 did during its first years on the market. People act as if Microsoft was closer to being the market leader last gen but they weren't - the Wii sold a lot faster than the PS4 is selling now and Microsoft took huge losses to push the 360 into the market. This is a decent generation for them.

^ this.

I think Phil Spencer is talking about how much money they made off of the console.

In that sense its perphaps the best console for them to-date (better than 360 or the first xbox).

Still I bet that more xbox dudes where happier about owning a xbox back in the 360 days, than they are now with the One.

In that sense "best generation so far" isnt true, for the gamer, while it might be for MS profit line.

Last I read the gaming division doesnt really do much for Microsofts bottom line. Its more of a strategic venture that im sure word reap any rewards unless Sony is taken out. Microsoft came to try an take out Sony, but cannot seem to beat them at their own game.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mafioso said:
Phil needs to stop feeding the trolls on social media and just focus on delivering more content for XBO.

We already know XBO is selling better than X360, that Live has record engagement and they are selling games message just fine. They lost the lock on the CoD Bro gamer with the shift of content exclusivity and Destiny early, so they won't get that back at this point.

There is no comparison to the Magic of last gen though.... Oblivion, Gears, Bioshock, Halo 3, Assassins Creed, Modern Warfare, Mass Effect, GTA4, RE5...was just a really special window in console gaming that has yet to be repeated.

That magic was all on PS3 and PC as well. Microsoft provided no magic.

PC was kind of an unattractive platform around that time and no where as a friendly space as it became after 2010. My point being was that if you had a 360 you were covered as that time in gaming , it had big release upon big release, new IP's galore., XBLA came into its own, etc...

This gen in 4 years in and neither Ps4 or XBO have yet to hit the stride that was in  late 06, 07-08... Gen 7 ramped up strong and the 360 was in a good position because of it because all of its ducks were in a row .

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Mafioso said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

That magic was all on PS3 and PC as well. Microsoft provided no magic.

PC was kind of an unattractive platform around that time and no where as a friendly space as it became after 2010. My point being was that if you had a 360 you were covered as that time in gaming , it had big release upon big release, new IP's galore., XBLA came into its own, etc...

This gen in 4 years in and neither Ps4 or XBO have yet to hit the stride that was in  late 06, 07-08... Gen 7 ramped up strong and the 360 was in a good position because of it because all of its ducks were in a row .

Valve and Blizzard saved PC while Microsoft left it high and dry. I was a PC gamer during the low period after the PS2/Xbox/GC era. The only games my clan played were WOW, Battlefield, Counter-strike, Team fortress, Command and Conquer and some other games. Once Steam took off, PC picked up big time. During this time Microsoft was using PC exclusives to prop themselves up against Sony, because quite frankly they were never going to do it any other way. Mass Effect lost PC exclusivity because of it as well. Microsoft learned the golden rule during their second gen that all you needed to weather the storm was healthy third party support and some third party exclusives to bolster a sparse first and second party. The 360 succeeded because it picked up where Sony dropped the ball. Luckily for them, the 360 helped them cement a place in gaming as a mainstay,which is why their sales are doing better than last gen but will cap off wayyyy before the 360 did. The Kinect bought them an extra 20 million consoles in the war with Sony. There is no kinect now to help.

360 is so far above xbox one it's not even funny. I didn't like my xbox one at all and sold it.