By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 owners what is your OS and have you replaced the Hard Drive?

Just a question, how can you exchange HDD without losing all of your files?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
Just a question, how can you exchange HDD without losing all of your files?

As far as I know, you can only take your save game files with you via external HDD, USB, SD card, etc.
That and whatever music and videos you put in the HDD.
All the downloaded games and demos you have to redownload again to prevent piracy.
Can anyone who actually changed their HDD share their experience?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

I put a 250 GB in my 40 GB version, and I'm planning on getting either Ubuntu 8.04 or YDL6, but does anyone know if there is a way to make YDL read NTFS? Cause if it can't, I'm going with Ubuntu

Normal 60GB HDD with Sony OS + 500GB external HDD which i use with my main comp as-well.

(Just a reminder that the HDD has to be in FAT32 format).

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

60gb UK launch PS3. I have ubuntu linux on it, but to be honest, I never use it. Two main reasons:

1. It's really slow. Linux only has access to the 256mb of main ram and few applications are targeted at the cell spu functionality.

2. The resolution of my 720p tv just isn't enough. I think it needs 1080p to make it usable. 

Yes

Around the Network

Im considering expanding my Hard Drive.

But since Im not very tech knowledgable Im afraid that I would break my console aswell as my HDD. Not only that I would loose my saved trailers and such which I enjoy watching on the PS3 :(.

I could use more than 60 Gigs that I have now, the 60 gig space is shrinking fast.

Something like 100 or 250 gigs would be great.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

Just the standard UK 60GB launch model

I have the normal 60gb original drive and a 500gb external which i have about 125gb with fotos and videos, i like very much the viewer in PS3.

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys

Rock_on_2008 said:
Yeah I just want to find out what you have? say a 250 GB Hard Drive with Linux? Wonder if anyone has Windows Vista or Xp as their OS on their PS3. Well lets find out

I have seen in youtube some videos with people that have installed XP but i dont know if its really possible

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys

You can install an emulator/virtual pc type thing on linux and run windows from inside linux using tools like vmware. But it is very very very slow.

Yes