By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 owners what is your OS and have you replaced the Hard Drive?

I upgraded my 60 gig launch model with a 160 gig 7200 drive. I didn't lose any of my downloads. It is very easy to backup/restore the ps3. I bought a sata enclosure and use the original 60 gig as extra storage. It took me 30 mins. to backup, 5 minutes to swap hardrives, and 25 mins. to restore.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

So I assume I can put the game save data from also my downloaded PSN games on a say pro duo stick and transfer that to the new hard-drive?

Doesn't sound too difficult. Downloading the games again ain't really the problem, demo's I throw away as soon as I'm planning to buy the game... or not... only thing that concerns me is the saved game data.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

iclim4 said:
*~Onna76~* said:
Just a question, how can you exchange HDD without losing all of your files?

As far as I know, you can only take your save game files with you via external HDD, USB, SD card, etc.
That and whatever music and videos you put in the HDD.
All the downloaded games and demos you have to redownload again to prevent piracy.
Can anyone who actually changed their HDD share their experience?

You can take everything if you backup to an external drive.  I did this when I went from 60Gb -> 250gb (not running any additional OS).  Maybe it's different for games like Warhawk/GT5:P, but smaller games (lemmings/flow/pixel junk) copied across fine.

I have the basic 60GB, its enough for me for now. I may think about fitting a 250 in the future but ive ample space for now.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

stiak said:
iclim4 said:

As far as I know, you can only take your save game files with you via external HDD, USB, SD card, etc.
That and whatever music and videos you put in the HDD.
All the downloaded games and demos you have to redownload again to prevent piracy.
Can anyone who actually changed their HDD share their experience?

You can take everything if you backup to an external drive.  I did this when I went from 60Gb -> 250gb (not running any additional OS).  Maybe it's different for games like Warhawk/GT5:P, but smaller games (lemmings/flow/pixel junk) copied across fine.

Wait, how do you do this?
Because I might just upgrade if it's this easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags?