By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Breath of the Wild review thread - 97 on Switch, 96 on Wii U

CGI-Quality said:
Nautilus said:

Dosent seem complains that will make the score go down to 6, but oh well.I guess it is to expect that, from 100+ reviews, there would be one or two outliers.

Considering this publication, it is a shock that they scored like that. It reads like an 8 review, as is. He offers much more praise, so the 6 is a head-scratcher.

It's hard for game journalist to come out and appear to be unique and different to attract a read these days, I'm actually not too surprised.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Nautilus said:

Dosent seem complains that will make the score go down to 6, but oh well.I guess it is to expect that, from 100+ reviews, there would be one or two outliers.

Considering this publication, it is a shock that they scored like that. It reads like an 8 review, as is. He offers much more praise, so the 6 is a head-scratcher.

Huh, thats how I feel sometimes with IGN reviews.I absolotely love their written reviews.Always well written, and they approach all the essential parts.But when it comes to scores, its always a hit and miss.Sometimes it lines up with what they have written, other times its either lower or higher than it seems.

Well, I wanted it to stay at 98 so badly, but I think I will have to contempt myself with a 97.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

CGI-Quality said:
Nautilus said:

What are the negatives that he lists?

This is their bottom line:

"Zelda is back, but is not as revolutionary as one might hope for."

However, individual issues are...

- Drastically reduced fun in the second half

- A few dated mechanics

- A lot of empty spaces (particularly in the second half)

Just a few.

Are you Norwegian?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Nautilus said:
KLXVER said:

Seems like the biggest issues for him are that the mystique goes away after 20 hours, only one save file and no New Game +, disappointed with the graphics and that the game doesnt do anything new and that some areas are boring to explore.

Dosent do anything new?The whole game is completely different from what a Zelda is!Also that New Game + complain is also weak for a game that is easily a 100+ game, but thats my opinion.

Oh well, as I said to CGI, I think its to be expected one or two outliers.

Completely different from what a Zelda is, maybe, but hundreds of other open world games exist too, BOTW didn't invent the genre. So "doesn't do anything new" is said compaired to other open world games.

KLXVER said:
Nautilus said:

Dosent do anything new?The whole game is completely different from what a Zelda is!Also that New Game + complain is also weak for a game that is easily a 100+ game, but thats my opinion.

He says that the game is basically just like any other open world game released.

TBH, you technically have 8 save files, and not everybody can handle doing all the side quests, a lot of people played Skyrim for 500 hours, and most don't make it past 40, but the New Game + confuses me, that's something JRPGs do when they have a low amount of content or gets patched in later, I almost never see WRPGs with it to start with. I'm not sure the reviewer is playing the same game as us lol.

Around the Network
dahuman said:
KLXVER said:

He says that the game is basically just like any other open world game released.

TBH, you technically have 8 save files, and not everybody can handle doing all the side quests, a lot of people played Skyrim for 500 hours, and most don't make it past 40, but the New Game + confuses me, that's something JRPGs do when they have a low amount of content or gets patched in later, I almost never see WRPGs with it to start with. I'm not sure the reviewer is playing the same game as us lol.

Well Zelda isnt a WRPG though. He probably compared it to games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

Faelco said:
Nautilus said:

Completely different from what a Zelda is, maybe, but hundreds of other open world games exist too, BOTW didn't invent the genre. So "doesn't do anything new" is said compaired to other open world games.

And that is the dumbest most pointless complaint for any game.

The same could be said for practically 99.9999999% of all games released every year. What does any new FPS game do that a million others don't? What does any new RPG do that a million others haven't done? What does sports game do that a million others don't....

It's a meaningless statement that should never hold water in a review, unless you are also docking every game also however many points that critique docked this one.

But how about this for open world. How many open world games within the first 30 minutes let you fight the final boss and beat the game? Every open world game I've ever played still has it's linear story that takes a good 10+ hours of following a set path of storylines in order that you can not skip before you can fight the final boss.

Faelco said:
Nautilus said:

Maybe, but reading others reviewers on this matter, as I havent played the game myself yet, they all praise how the world is alive and that there is always something to discover by yourself and not just a marker on the map for you to follow, one thing that no game nowadays does.Or at least few does.And thats not to mention how the world feels alive with the different mechanics on it(the winds and fire mechanics for example).I dont know, he is entitled to his opinion of course, but I think he forced a bit too much in this "there is nothing new compared to other open world games" affirmation.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

CGI-Quality said:
Tmfwang said:

Are you Norwegian?

Nah. Google Translate is my friend ;p

Haha :P

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

KLXVER said:
dahuman said:

Well Zelda isnt a WRPG though. He probably compared it to games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne.

I'd hope not, the person would be really bad at reviewing games if that's the case lol. The new Zelda is built like a WRPG IMO, just like the new Xeno series.