By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think Horizon is GOTY material now that reviews are in ?

Will Horizon Zero Dawn be nominated for GOTY at the Game Awards 2017 ?

Yes 223 52.22%

No 127 29.74%

Perhaps 77 18.03%

Total:427
ICStats said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Yup, but its going to have to contend with Zelda and Nioh which is going to be rough.

Mass Effect Andromeda, and Red Dead Redemption 2 will also be contenders.

Red Dead 2 is coming out this year!? This is Rockstar now. If thats true then i'm not sure the other games will have much of a chance.

Around the Network

Why should it be GOTY? I think For honor has a better chance to be nominated than yet another repetitive generic sandbox.

Hopefully ME andromeda eclipses all memories of this game. Persona 5 coming soon aswell.

Luke888 said:

Today Horizon's embargo was lifted and the game met great scores from reviewers but there's a but: can it compete/be nominated for GOTY ? While it's not unusual for games in the high 80s on Metacritic to be nominated I feel as if this year has so many good titles coming (many probably aren't even announced yet) that it'll be hard for Horizon to even be nominated: RDR2, Zelda, Nier, Persona 5, ME: Andromeda and Mario Odyssey are only a few of the biggest releases, many of which follow a long list of games in the 90+ category, of course GOTY isn't chosen simply by its Metacritic but also by how many people enjoyed the game but I can't help but wonder if people will remember of it while looking back at the end of the year (I expressed this same doubt for Zelda a few weeks ago). What are your thoughts ? Will Horizon be nominated for the GOTY 2017 or will it be forgotten ?

I think it's probably gonna be a solid contender and has a really good chance at being nominated at The Game Awards. Just look at Doom, it has a metacritic of 85 but that received several goty awards which it is deserving of. But i think nothing is gonna stop RDR2 this year, it's gonna clean up.

Plus i don't really understand the Nier love, everyone seems to think that game is gonna be a 90+. 

It won't win goty though because of zelda

Ljink96 said:
Sure, it's GOTY material. But it's going to have some damn stiff competition.

*cough, Zelda Breath of the Wild, cough*

*cough, Red Dead 2, cough*

*cough, Super Mario Odyssey, cough*

Man, there's some amazing content coming out this year. A lot of GOTY material here. But Horizon has a chance, without a doubt.

This. I think it will be nominated, but it almost has no chance to win.

Around the Network

Odd that a game with an average rating of 88/100 is deemed "questionably good". Does everything have to be 95 or higher to not be considered a disappointment?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

gtaguidelng said:
It won't win goty though because of zelda

That's a fair assessment. But there is more than 1 GOTY award. In fact there's more than 100. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

It'll get nominated most everywhere, but at this point all the real contenders (aka the sequels) will have to stumble for Horizon to take GOTY.

The Game Awards is basically the Popularity Goty, The Last Of US won 250 Gotys including the holy grail BAFTA Goty the only Major(at least some people think) Goty it didn't win was TGA, Uncharted 4 received 165 Gotys Bafta Goty secured didn't win TGA. Though it could be a Bias against Naughty Dog, but one thing for sure its 100% no matter how Death Stranding turns out its winning Geoff Keighley TGA. The Walking dead robbed Max Payne 3 TGA In 2012, so whatever is perceived as the most popular will win, dont matter about metascores or nothing else.

GhetooBillGates said:
The Game Awards is basically the Popularity Goty, The Last Of US won 250 Gotys including the holy grail BAFTA Goty the only Major(at least some people think) Goty it didn't win was TGA, Uncharted 4 received 165 Gotys Bafta Goty secured didn't win TGA. Though it could be a Bias against Naughty Dog, but one thing for sure its 100% no matter how Death Stranding turns out its winning Geoff Keighley TGA. The Walking dead robbed Max Payne 3 TGA In 2012, so whatever is perceived as the most popular will win, dont matter about metascores or nothing else.

lol in what universe was TWD game more popular than Max Payne? And if they have a bias against ND they wouldn't have given them a studio award.

GTA V beat Last of Us, and Overwatch beat U4. It's not like some bad game won or something. Hell Overwatch got more GOTY awards from critics than U4 so it's not surprising it won.

And yeah Horizon will win some GOTY awards simply because there are lots of PlayStation sites and it won't compete with Zelda there.