By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you tackle your backlog?

How do you tackle your backlog?

Play my games in the order I buy them 5 5.21%

Pick one at random and play it 7 7.29%

Pick whichever one appeals to me at the time 66 68.75%

... Who even plays games ... 18 18.75%

Total:96

I don't. =(

It sucks, but I just don't have the time and commitment anymore. I still keep buying games though. I usually justify them by telling myself that maybe my nephew would like to play them.... and he rarely does.

Around the Network

Currently, I am trying to go chronologically based on when the game was released. So pretty much the oldest game first. The one exception is that someone gave me Splatoon for Christmas, so I have been playing that too. I know the online is probably going to die soon, so I had to get some time in with that one.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

On a related note: I finally opened "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE" last weekend. Great game!

Probably won't have time to beat it before BotW comes out, as I'm putting together a "top 12" Wii U video for my YouTube channel as a celebration of the U officially becoming retro ;)

I'll probably knock out one or two of my nearly finished Wii U games in the next two weeks, though.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

To tackle RPG's I find that listening to music or something while grinding helps me a lot. Or pretty much just muting it and trying to do something else at the same time. Cause after the grinding, you can enjoy the battles and cutscenes again and it makes it worth it. Also, go on Howlongtobeat.com. People post how long it took them to beat certain games and then HLTB provides an average, that way it's much easier to finish a game when you know you have like let's say 5 hours left. That sorta thing. Either way, howlongtobeat has helped me TONS. I have about 6 hours left in Star Ocean 5, so I will probably beat it on Tuesday when I have that time.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Bristow9091 said:
Areym said:
Just pick a game stick to it from start to finish, most of the time. Switching back and forth doesn't help at all for me. With Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 and FFXV, I may never be done -_-

All three of these games are in my backlog, and for The Witcher 3 I have the Game of the Year edition, so that's a whole bunch of extra content... my mate had just over 300 hour playtime by the time he'd finished the last expansion, dear lord! :o 

I have Witcher 3 GOTY edition too. Tackle it by first beating the game, then once you see the credits, you're officially done. That way you can move onto another game and whenever you feel like going back to the Witcher you have a ton of content waiting for you. That's what I'm doing. If you save DLC and Expansions and just focus on getting to the credits (especially in RPGs) it becomes a lot less hectic.

Around the Network

I just play what I can when I can.

I tend to be extremely bored when I look back my backlog and pick a game. I usually go for the names and franchises I'm usually interested on.

So at least now PS4 owners can make a folder for backlog games and reorganize them inside, which you will play next :) Pretty neat.

Bristow9091 said:
Paatar said:

I have Witcher 3 GOTY edition too. Tackle it by first beating the game, then once you see the credits, you're officially done. That way you can move onto another game and whenever you feel like going back to the Witcher you have a ton of content waiting for you. That's what I'm doing. If you save DLC and Expansions and just focus on getting to the credits (especially in RPGs) it becomes a lot less hectic.

I don't know... I wouldn't class it as officially done until I've finished the DLC too since it all comes packaged together, lol

To me regardless if it's packaged in, story DLC and expansions are just extra so That I can move on to something else and then go back to whatever game that is when I want to and have motivation. Like, imo it becomes way less stressful when you consider being done once you see the credits. It's like replaying a game, some people won't consider themselves "done" with a game until they've played it through a few times and get sick of it, but like that can just create a larger backlog. So idk. Whatever works for you, but that's what helps me. 😁

Generally, the games sit there for months or years, until I have the sudden desire to play one. I bought Shadow of Mordor like 6 months ago, and just got the desire to play it yesterday. Great game so far btw.