By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Apparently (?), SIE filed a patent for a Switch-like device with detachable controllers in 2015

setsunatenshi said:
pray4mojo said:

Well, for starters, Sony has a history of doing this sort of stuff. Secondly, I think they know that the Switch may just destroy their entire Japanese business. Seriously. They barely beat Nintendo's worst selling home console of all time and got killed again with the Vita/3DS war. If Switch does what I think it's going to do in that country, Sony is in serious trouble. They have almost zero chance without copying them and trying to release a me-also system.

Not completely disagreeing as, yes, Japan is mobile pretty much through and through. Also I do think there must be a plan at work to remain on the handheld market, but financially Japan is not that important anymore in terms of sales. The west is where they are making money and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Where I disagree is on the trouble you're predicting. A $300 handheld just does not sell the numbers you're thinking it will. Look at the 3DS before the steep price cut.

Also, technically Sony's handhelds have always been leagues ahead of Nintendo's in terms of specs and multimedia capabilities. Judging by what we've seen from the Switch, it definitely would not be hard to put on a new portable that would outperform the Switch. The question is, will it be worthwile just to capture the Japanese market?

I honestly don't know, but I would love a new Vita/PSP with all the things fixed (L2,R2, L3, R3, normal sd cards). I don't see it happening with this design though, it's lacking the usual Sony sleekness.

Sony's handhelds have only outperformed Nintendos in the specs department. That hasn't translated to sales as Nintendos handhelds have never been challenged, even in Japan. Sony isn't going to capture the Japanese martket no matter what. Right now, in light of Switch being a hybrid, Sony can only try to stay afloat. Home consoles are dead. Ninendo handhelds reign supreme. There's really no where for them to go right now and it's going to be interesting to see how they approach the problem. 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Filed in 2015? Nintendo copies Sony again.

These companies both have internal spies. Don't be so naive. 

potato_hamster said:

I remember hearing all of that when Sony announced the Playstation Vita. Great on paper, but actually having the power/tools to facilitate AAA games being ported to the platform and more importantly run well? The Switch can't do it at $300. What makes you think Sony can do it at an afforable price point either?

Honestly, I don't. With all the technology needed for it to run adequately, the cost I'm sure would be prohibitive. I'm just saying by way of wishful thinking, that it could be an awesome piece of technology if they ever were to make it happen. 

It'll be awhile before I figure out how to do one of these. :P 

zelmusario said:
d21lewis said:

SOLD! Can't wait to get my hands on a PlayStation Swap.

LOL "All I need this gen are Switch and Swap and I'm set!" 

But for real, I've been wondering how long it would take Sony to come out with a similar design. I mean, I would love to have the Switch's concept transferred over to the PS environment. You'd have every game you want, including all the AAA Western games, at home or on the go. Tell me that's not appealing. Well, except for the price point, which would be insane, I'm sure. 

Considering how ARM processors will be insanely strong soon, I'd happily go for Switch+Mobile playstation if Sony chooses not to give up on the handheld market

Lawlight said:
Filed in 2015? Nintendo copies Sony again.

Don't get your hopes up. This patent was filed on August 6, 2015, and we first heard about the NX on March 17, 2015. Nintendo was still first.

Around the Network

"... we call it the Sony Swap, and it'll ship with two Happy Controllers that feature revolutionary 4K Rumble, rumble so realistic even your balls will feel it".

symmetrical analog sticks

In all honesty Sony should back off and let Nintendo have this. It's not going to do them even any good if Nintendo goes out of the hardware business and it's a tough enough concept to sell trying to tell kids not to use their iOS/Android tablet as their go to entertainment device on the go. Nintendo benefits Sony to an extent by getting a lot of kids hooked on physical gaming (button gaming). If they go, you're going to have a ton of kids playing nothing but $1 touchscreen games for much of their childhood and it's going to become increasingly difficult to get them onto $400 consoles.

If I'm Nintendo and this doesn't work out and part of the reason is because Sony decided to under cut, I'd strongly look at backing the XBox in response.

Focus on the Playstation 4/5 and VR (which has a ton of potential) Sony.

Soundwave said:

"... we call it the Sony Swap, and it'll ship with two Happy Controllers that feature revolutionary 4K Rumble, rumble so realistic even your balls will feel it".

imagine all the waifu games with 4k rumble

Xbox won't exist by then