By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Apparently (?), SIE filed a patent for a Switch-like device with detachable controllers in 2015

Development of next consoles often starts early into the life of the current console. We could very well by looking at an early vita successor design. If it proves to be legitimate, that is.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
maxleresistant said:
with proper analogic triggers...

And the triangle button!

SOLD! Can't wait to get my hands on a PlayStation Swap.

ironmanDX said:
Development of next consoles often starts early into the life of the current console. We could very well by looking at an early vita successor design. If it proves to be legitimate, that is.

Well, for starters, Sony has a history of doing this sort of stuff. Secondly, I think they know that the Switch may just destroy their entire Japanese business. Seriously. They barely beat Nintendo's worst selling home console of all time and got killed again with the Vita/3DS war. If Switch does what I think it's going to do in that country, Sony is in serious trouble. They have almost zero chance without copying them and trying to release a me-also system.

pray4mojo said:
ironmanDX said:

Well, for starters, Sony has a history of doing this sort of stuff. Secondly, I think they know that the Switch may just destroy their entire Japanese business. Seriously. They barely beat Nintendo's worst selling home console of all time and got killed again with the Vita/3DS war. If Switch does what I think it's going to do in that country, Sony is in serious trouble. They have almost zero chance without copying them and trying to release a me-also system.

Not completely disagreeing as, yes, Japan is mobile pretty much through and through. Also I do think there must be a plan at work to remain on the handheld market, but financially Japan is not that important anymore in terms of sales. The west is where they are making money and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Where I disagree is on the trouble you're predicting. A $300 handheld just does not sell the numbers you're thinking it will. Look at the 3DS before the steep price cut.

Also, technically Sony's handhelds have always been leagues ahead of Nintendo's in terms of specs and multimedia capabilities. Judging by what we've seen from the Switch, it definitely would not be hard to put on a new portable that would outperform the Switch. The question is, will it be worthwile just to capture the Japanese market?

I honestly don't know, but I would love a new Vita/PSP with all the things fixed (L2,R2, L3, R3, normal sd cards). I don't see it happening with this design though, it's lacking the usual Sony sleekness.

d21lewis said:
BraLoD said:

And the triangle button!

SOLD! Can't wait to get my hands on a PlayStation Swap.

It has begun. The portable home console wars. The Sony Swap with its removable Shock-Con controllers will play PS4 games from cartridges.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network

2015? I don't think they are doing anything about it.

Looks like a dock for Xperia Phones to me. I have Zero interest in any Xperia or Android based device.

However, if Sony was to make a PlayStation Phone based around the PS4 hardware and PS4 OS, and it could dock to this, and Play all of my PlayStation 4 software, and access all of my PlayStation services via 4G, then I would be all over it. PS4 OS would translate very nicely to touch when not docked, and with One unified OS, they would have constant support.

This may be the best way for Sony to get back into the mobile space and the Handheld gaming space. One device that looks professional when undocked, yet has the ability to dock and give you full on console games at zero additional cost. One purchase of Gran Turismo, Call of Durty, Madden, Uncharted ect. works on PS4 and PS Phone.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

think-man said:

If these patents are from 2015 then Sony already has a working mockup. ARM just had a big event recently and they said that by the end of 2017 ARM mobile processors will equal the power of the PS4. If the system shown in these patents is also a fully functioning smart phone, Sony will rule the world of portable home console gaming.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Nintendo copied Sony confirmed!