By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bold Prediction: Switch Will Sell 4mil Units by Years End in Japan!

"Bold prediction"
That's a pretentious way of putting your everyday common guess.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
It very hard to predict sales of Switch at this point, only what I am sure it will sell much better than Wii U, how exactly much better it hard to say, but I can say that at end of 2018. (so less than 2 years on market) will pass Wii U LT numbers.

not really that hard to predict at this point for 2017, it's quite obviously killing it this year, quite possibly will beat PS4 for top console of the year in sales. Going onward is a mystery though as at this point in time we have literally no idea what will be releasing for the Switch in 2018/2019

2017 with FE Warriors, SKyrim, Odyysey, Splatoon. 2017 is settled 

Jumpin said:
"Bold prediction"
That's a pretentious way of putting your everyday common guess.

Look at the date this was made. It was bold at the time lol. No need to play me out!

mountaindewslave said:
Miyamotoo said:
It very hard to predict sales of Switch at this point, only what I am sure it will sell much better than Wii U, how exactly much better it hard to say, but I can say that at end of 2018. (so less than 2 years on market) will pass Wii U LT numbers.

not really that hard to predict at this point for 2017, it's quite obviously killing it this year, quite possibly will beat PS4 for top console of the year in sales.

Going onward is a mystery though as at this point in time we have literally no idea what will be releasing for the Switch in 2018/2019

2017 with FE Warriors, SKyrim, Odyysey, Splatoon. 2017 is settled 

Prediction in February before launch and in June 3 months after launch are not same things. :D  But actualy its still hard to predict at this point beacuse stocks problems, we saw lines in Japan for Switch 3 monts after Switch launch, so for long we will have stock issues, beacuse they definitely affecting currently on sales. Saying that if Nintendo has enough stocks there are chances that they can sell 4m in Japan in this year alone.

I have pretey good picture about 2018. for Nintendo games: Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Retros game, Next Level Games game, posible Pikmin 4, posible new Metroid Prime...2019. is to away to currently think about possible lineup for that year when curently for now we have only one 2018. confirmed game.

RolStoppable said:
That's the spirit, tbone. Switch to beat Wii U's lifetime sales within ten months.

Rol is the winner yet again

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
tbone51 said:

Rol is the winner yet again

That wasn't really a post of agreement, but rather encouragement that it's fine to be optimistic about Switch. Your prediction will most likely end up wrong because there are still 2m to go with only two months left. Sure, the 3DS punched in 1.2m over the course of only three weeks, but that will be tough to repeat because the Switch already has all its important games out for this year while the 3DS had a triple punch of high profile software in 2011's final two months.

Switch beating Wii U's lifetime sales in Japan (~3.5m, I think) by year's end is doable though.

Yeah i notice this too. I was hoping switch would sell closer to 200k this week for SMO release but it looks like supply will be the only reason why this wont come true! That said itll be close if it does...... Like final week with barely over 4mil close lol

Nintendo plans to ship 16.74 million by the end of March 2018 so that would likely be around ~14 million at the end of 2017.

The current regional breakdown is

Japan-25.6%
Americas-40.7%
Others-33.6%

If the shipment breakdown remains constant then year end shipments will be around

Japan-3.6 million
Americas-5.7 million
Others-4.7 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.