By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I got to try Nintendo Switch! - My First Impressions

Are you getting a Switch?

Yes, Day One! 109 42.58%

Yes, but later this year. 53 20.70%

Yes, but not this year. 7 2.73%

Yes, but not until a price drop. 19 7.42%

I'm not sure. 21 8.20%

No. 47 18.36%

Total:256
Goodnightmoon said:
Ljink96 said:
Yeah, what I've seen of Botw on Switch is that there is very noticeable drops in framerate. Sadly, I don't think that's going to change. Possibly in a future update or something...hopefully. But that's cool you got to try it out! 3 more weeks!

Do you also think Splatoon will remain at 720p on TV mode just because it was shown like that in the Switch event? If zelda has almost no dip in hanheld mode I expect the same in TV mode in the final version of the game, that was a demo.

Possibly. Although the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U, these are games that were built for the Wii U instead of from the ground up on Switch. So the porting process had to happen which doesn't always go smooth especially for a game like Botw. Splatoon 2...I'd like to call it a sequel but we can see that it's running on a modified Wii U engine so yeah, I think it'll stay at 720p but there is a considerable amount of time before it comes to Switch so who knows. Once Nintendo shows off games made from the ground up for Switch, we'll see what they really can do. I think even Mario Odyssey started life on Wii U. Even Arms looks like it started out on Wii U. I just think we'll see more polished games in 2018. Switch launch and Zelda seemed a bit rushed, you know Aonuma wanted to set it back about 6 more months.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
Shikamo said:
Great thread man, can you tell me if the splatoon in tv mode was at 720p or 1080p and 30 or 60 fps ?

Looked like 1080p to me, and it was definitely 60FPS.

good to hear this , thanks :)

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Ljink96 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Do you also think Splatoon will remain at 720p on TV mode just because it was shown like that in the Switch event? If zelda has almost no dip in hanheld mode I expect the same in TV mode in the final version of the game, that was a demo.

Possibly. Although the Switch is more powerful than the Wii U, these are games that were built for the Wii U instead of from the ground up on Switch. So the porting process had to happen which doesn't always go smooth especially for a game like Botw. Splatoon 2...I'd like to call it a sequel but we can see that it's running on a modified Wii U engine so yeah, I think it'll stay at 720p but there is a considerable amount of time before it comes to Switch so who knows. Once Nintendo shows off games made from the ground up for Switch, we'll see what they really can do. I think even Mario Odyssey started life on Wii U. Even Arms looks like it started out on Wii U. I just think we'll see more polished games in 2018. Switch launch and Zelda seemed a bit rushed, you know Aonuma wanted to set it back about 6 more months.

Arms looks like it definitely started on the Switch, both for how it looks and for the concept itself that makes no sense on WiiU.

I just think they optimize the hanheld mode first then they work on the TV mode, that's all, but we'll see when Splatoon and Mario releases.

Goodnightmoon said:
Ljink96 said:

Arms looks like it definitely started on the Switch, both for how it looks and for the concept itself that makes no sense on WiiU.

I just think they optimize the hanheld mode first then they work on the TV mode, that's all, but we'll see when Splatoon and Mario releases.

The only explanation I have for ARMS is that it is just as rushed as Splatoon was. While I have no doubt that four or so months are enough to flesh out the game (given how smooth it is), you cannot deny that it is given an 18-month dev cycle. I just hope that they add more content to the game, 5 characters with three weapon sets each is not going to make for longetivity.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

TheWPCTraveler said:
Goodnightmoon said:

The only explanation I have for ARMS is that it is just as rushed as Splatoon was. While I have no doubt that four or so months are enough to flesh out the game (given how smooth it is), you cannot deny that it is given an 18-month dev cycle. I just hope that they add more content to the game, 5 characters with three weapon sets each is not going to make for longetivity.

After what happened with Splatoon I don't see many reasons to fear tbh 

And I still have a lot of doubts about that "Splatoon was rushed" argument, because what they made turned up to be a perfect strategy to keep the interest high for months after the release, maybe they just got lucky? I doubt it.

Around the Network

I had almost thé same conclusions , except for Arms that really doesnt deserve to cost more than 10-15 euros.

Also Zelda doesnt make use of HD Rumble, its just classic rumble use on it.

" Also, no headphone/microphone port which is a bit of a shame " youre going to bé in trouble :p

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Ultrashroomz said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Pretty much the definition of a quality thread but one thing, You didn't felt anything special for the rumble in Zelda simply because Zelda does not use the HD rumble, and from the 2 minigames you played on 1,2 Switch, I think only the Milking one use it so chances are that milking was your only experience with the HD rumble.

Makes sense. 

The HD rumble is a feature I was curious about, but none of the games I played seemed to really take advantage of it fully, so I don't have any concrete impressions of it right now.

You should have played thé balls game or thé safe game , thé best to judge it

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Aerys said:

Arms really doesnt deserve to cost more than 10-15 euros.

I got to try it to at Toronto. Marvellous little console!

Ultrashroomz said:

I will comment on one thing, the framerate. The game runs at 30FPS like I expected, but I noticed that the frame drops were very noticable. I hope this is just the same early build from New York, before the game went gold, cause if these frame drops are in the final game, that will definitely hurt my experience for this game when it comes out.

There are noticeable framerate dips even in the newest video clips from japanese BotW site. Tons of particle effects on the screen (during the explosions or water splashes, etc) always initiates slowdowns. Looks like developers can't fix it at all.