By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop's Slow Demise and the All-Digital Future - Colin Was Right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5tgo_OkwNc

Where have I heard this before?

Needless to say, I agree 100%. Gamestop is the new Blockbuster.

Around the Network

Colin Was Right is the most pretentious title a section can have, but it fits with the character I guess. This news have been all around for days, Gamestop is outrageously shitty indeed, glad they are not in Spain anymore.

Goodnightmoon said:
Colin Was Right is the most pretentious title a section can have, but it fits with the character I guess. This news have been all around for days, Gamestop is outrageously shitty indeed, glad they are not in Spain anymore.

Yeah, pretty sure it's not meant to be taken literally lol.

I agree, but my issue really rests with physical media. I think right now its being still pushed as the primary distribution model is just doing more hard for the industry than good. Everything around it right now is just really shady.

In a perfect world.... hell, in a world that makes sense.... A brand new game should cost no more than $40. With $30 going to the publisher and $10 going to the platform holder. The $20 right now on top that that right now goes to manufacturing and package costs and "paying the middle man" will just not be there.

There are benefits to buying physical, and as such those that want those benefits should have no qualms paying $60 for their games and in fairness they are paying an extra $20 just to reap those benefits.

It will be really interesting. A lot of people champion physical media, but I can't wait for the day that a new game is released on the PS/XB stores for $40 and its physical equivalent is $60 at retailers. I would be curious to see which sku of the game will sell more.

But I thought we had to ignore everything Colin Moriarty says because he wrote an article once that said he thought the Vita was going to crush the 3DS in sales.

But yes, again, Colin is right.

Around the Network

In my country which doesn't have official console release or game release, if a games wrap is torn we treat it as used. It's asking price drops by one fifth immediately. And I am really shocked GameStop can sell used games at full price and get away with it. People need to move to amazon for physical games. That's the best option.

You mean something a comic predicted in 2007?

Intrinsic said:
I agree, but my issue really rests with physical media. I think right now its being still pushed as the primary distribution model is just doing more hard for the industry than good. Everything around it right now is just really shady.

In a perfect world.... hell, in a world that makes sense.... A brand new game should cost no more than $40. With $30 going to the publisher and $10 going to the platform holder. The $20 right now on top that that right now goes to manufacturing and package costs and "paying the middle man" will just not be there.

There are benefits to buying physical, and as such those that want those benefits should have no qualms paying $60 for their games and in fairness they are paying an extra $20 just to reap those benefits.

It will be really interesting. A lot of people champion physical media, but I can't wait for the day that a new game is released on the PS/XB stores for $40 and its physical equivalent is $60 at retailers. I would be curious to see which sku of the game will sell more.

I agree with what your saying aobut digital been a lower price than the physical copy and I've been saying about that for quite some time now but in now way do I see PSN/Xbox dropping new games below $60, They will just take fatter profits instead as people rely on having to get digital copies of their games.

potato_hamster said:
But I thought we had to ignore everything Colin Moriarty says because he wrote an article once that said he thought the Vita was going to crush the 3DS in sales.

But yes, again, Colin is right.

Here is the thing, saying something without giving actual timeline of events or concrete proof, is like someone saying medical science will further extend human life by 30 years or humanity will reach the outer limits of plantary statuartion on earth in the near future. It literally means nothing. 

The reason I problem with Colin in this case is he thinks it will behave like the other digital markets, but it hasn't and won't be anytime soon. Publishers are essentially never really dropping that $60, and if you truthfully think about all the content that is really locked out in the forms of near launch DLC, you can see that games are increasing.

Intrinsic said:

Lets shoot for equalling Steam's $50 price tage before we eye 40