By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the new Zelda sell better on wii u or switch?

Kind of a redundant question. Most people would want to buy the game for the "hot new console" vs. the "dead" console, even IF there were no real differences (resolution, draw distance) between them. I still think the Wii U version will sell pretty well, because not everyone is going to be able to afford to get a Switch at launch, or even wants to.

Around the Network
KrspaceT said:
Faelco said:

Yes, art isn't equal to graphics. Zelda has a beautiful art but not so good-looking graphics.

Nothing new in this, a french reporter (Nintendo fan though...) said in a quick preview after the quick reveal event that the game seemed great but that the graphics (and framerate maybe?) were "distractingly" bad.

Art vs Graphics huh? 

Are we talking promo-images, art-style, shaders, or something else. Where is the line between Art and Graphics?

Art and graphics are 2 totally different things...

Okami as an example still has an awesome art even today, but its graphics are really bad. 

Art-style and colors against polygons and textures, art VS computer science... It's a really common difference, what's the problem here?

1.7m? lmao, I can't believe this predictions are actually serious.

I highly doubt BoTW sells less than 7m on Switch, WiiU version will probably sell 1-2m

maxleresistant said:

I'll have fun playing Zelda on WiiU, which is about the only interesting thing you can play on  Switch anyway.

Have fun playing ports of old games in outdated versions. Meanwhile I will have fun playing on current games on PC.

Any multiplatform game that comes out is automatically preferable to play on the Switch IMO b/c of portability. So Sonic Mania and Stardew Valley are pretty much "Switch games" for me. Snipperclips and Splatoon 2 are definitely day one buys for me. And then we finish out 2017 with a new Mario and then have a new Fire Emblem to look forward to in 2018? Sounds pretty rad to me.

If you have fun with your PC and Wii U version of Zelda then I'm very happy for you. Everyone should do what works out best for them. I just think this whole "sending a message" thing is kind of silly.

I absolutely wish that the Wii U had gotten more support, but from the way I look at it, I played about ten outstanding games on the system with a handful of other good ones. I got good value from the system. Even if it had gotten another six or seven 4 star games, that wouldn't really change the value equation all that much for me. 

Another day another silly thread about Nintendo/Switch from @Geralt.

Around the Network
Faelco said:
KrspaceT said:

Art vs Graphics huh? 

Are we talking promo-images, art-style, shaders, or something else. Where is the line between Art and Graphics?

Okami as an example still has an awesome art even today, but its graphics are really bad. 

Art-style and colors against polygons and textures, art VS computer science... It's a really common difference, what's the problem here?

Probably trying to figure out what is this "very bad graphics" that he is talking about in BoTW, not PS4ish enough for his tastes?

We reap what we sow

If I had pre-ordered a Switch to be honest the only game I would buy of the launch titles is Zelda. Nothing else is worth the asking price for me. As it is I have pre-ordered for wii u.

There will probably be a sizeable chunk of people running the wii u version as a pirate copy in 4k on pc via emulation and that technically may be the best way of running it. That will be the cleanest most beautiful graphics. I'm looking forward to seeing some screengrabs of it like that.

etking said:

Nintendo fans love it. But other players mostly think it is a boring Skyrim clone for children with outdated gameplay and very bad graphics. But since it is a launch title and also releases on Wii-U, my guess is 3 Mio. Switch and 1 Mio. Wii-U, 4 Mio. total.

Initial sales will be much lower but the Switch version will probably have long legs, provided that the Metascore will be above 80. The fact that they changed the classic and succesful Zelda formula may lead to heavy surprises in the rating department.

Do you already own the game? Pls do a review thread

We reap what we sow

Faelco said:
KrspaceT said:

Art vs Graphics huh? 

In that regard it is true that Zelda is graphically lower than Witcher 3. Though art-styles can be used to compensate for polygon and texture lows. If not in appeal which is subjective, in cost. 

To use Witcher 3 as an example again, the number 81 million U.S dollars is commonly thrown out as how much it cost to make, which is surprisingly cheap for a AAA game. Perhaps the Polish just bloat less than others. Anyway according to a Forbes Article I found (and the site is not a Nintendo biased location), the game needs to sell about 2 million copies to break even. Even the lowest estimates here lean that way quite heavy. 

As a 1st party game, Nintendo gets about 39 dollars per game at minimum, with digital increasing that number. That rougly coorelates to about 7.8 million in production costs. One coulds scale it up with digital sales as the per game cost, but I have no idea how much that is expected of the purchased title. I'd break down Witcher, but Witcher has a pretty big PC playerbase as it is and I have no idea if Valve gets the Console Maker and Retailer bits of the pie or not, plus PC's fragmented and rapidly cheapening marketplaces.

Also graphics age. I won't argue that Ocarina and Twilight Princess are ugly. Realism ages a lot faster, meaning that Wild will look better in, say, 10 years than Witcher. 

Still at the moment it is true that Witcher is greater graphically than Zelda is. How far that goes is up to the individual though.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

bonzobanana said:
If I had pre-ordered a Switch to be honest the only game I would buy of the launch titles is Zelda. Nothing else is worth the asking price for me. As it is I have pre-ordered for wii u.

There will probably be a sizeable chunk of people running the wii u version as a pirate copy in 4k on pc via emulation and that technically may be the best way of running it. That will be the cleanest most beautiful graphics. I'm looking forward to seeing some screengrabs of it like that.

Yeah, because running a Wii U emulator at high settings of the most ambitious nintendo game ever must be a simple task, pretty acessable.

We reap what we sow