By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Addresses Lack of Switch Backwards Compatibility

I'll miss BC but it was just a matter of time before nintendo got rid of it, funny that is with the same console that they are going to start charging for online, I guess they are trying new stuff with the switch

Around the Network

The wii u is fully compatible with the Gamecube at a hardware level thanks to the wii chipset and you can play Gamecube games if you have homebrew installed and nintendont but they never released VC Gamecube games for wii u.

Running gamecube games on the Switch under emulation seems unlikely. They will probably just use the graphic assets and have the main game code recompiled for arm. The nvidia shield struggled a bit emulating gamecube and that uses the full Tegra X1 chipset at a 2ghz speed for the 8 cpu's. Not the likely 1ghz quad core arrangement of the Switch. In theory the Shield could be up to 55,200 mips compared to 18,400 for Switch. So about a 1/3 of the cpu performance. Saying that we don't know what customisation has been added by Nintendo maybe there is something interesting in there. There was no indication that the Switch dev kit had anything other than a cutdown Tegra x1 though.

Tbh its a good thing (In terms of the Wii U and 3DS BC games and controllers) . Because I really want Nintendo to move on. Maybe they will do what they done with some Wii Games on the eshop. Perhaps you could get it for 50% off if you have already bought the game.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

All I want is Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

I personally dont care about backwards compatibility as I keep my old consoles to play them anyway

sry for my bad english - it is not my 1st language

Around the Network
vivster said:
Naum said:

I really hope you are joking with this right?

Well considering that only 2 of their 7! home consoles have BC I'd say that is the case. I think with handhelds it's 2/5.

Doesn't sound to me like a company that necessarily embraces BC.

Yeah, damn that NES for not having BC!

1) Only 13 million Wii u's sold. Nintendo will waste time and money if they do this. Wii sold 100m, DS sold 150m, Gba sold 80m, GB sold 120m, and gamecube sold 22m. Compare those numbers to wii u. Much smaller audience fo BC this time.
2) I'm will to sacrafice BC for cartridges. They are better in every way than blue-rays. Faster downloads and running times, smaller form factor, more durability, more internal memory, and its cheaper to manufacture them along with the cartridge drives(resulting in cheaper costs, for Nintendo and for us).
3) 3DS games will look grainy and ugly on a bigger screen. Having the same number of pixels as a arleady 3-inch on a 40-inch tv will be horrendous.
4) Just move away from anything related to the word 'Wii', Nintendo. That word brings serious kiddie vibes to the Wii u(even though it isn't a kiddie console) and as a result it was not taken as a serious console by many people. Also I have a friend who still thinks the Wii u is a tablet add-on. I'm happy that Nintendo is dropping Wii u like a rock.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

KLXVER said:
vivster said:

Well considering that only 2 of their 7! home consoles have BC I'd say that is the case. I think with handhelds it's 2/5.

Doesn't sound to me like a company that necessarily embraces BC.

Yeah, damn that NES for not having BC!

Agreed, and also damn the game boy as well!

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I think we should have all expected this. It's a completely different archtecture, and pushing BC was part of the reason the Wii U was so weak and expensive to begin with. I would very much like to be able to use my Wii U Pro controller with the Switch, though.

Wow, so a console with completely different architecture than its predecessor won't be backwards compatible?? I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

Also, any Wii U game that's worth owning is either coming out or will eventually be ported / remastered on the Switch.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.