By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Addresses Lack of Switch Backwards Compatibility

I miss Mr. Iwata.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
caffeinade said:
KLAMarine said:
Make the Wii U gamepad BC! Now dammit!

And make Octolings playable in Splatoon 2!

If I could play DS games (VC) using a WiiU gamepad, or a second Switch; That would be swell.

I'm hoping for GameCube games on VC.

Well, it's not a secret that Nintendo hates backwards compatibility.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

KLAMarine said:
caffeinade said:

If I could play DS games (VC) using a WiiU gamepad, or a second Switch; That would be swell.

I'm hoping for GameCube games on VC.

I am greedy, I want both.

I think you're confusing VC with BC.

VC currently goes up through N64 and the rumor was adding GC to that list of support, which is certainly possible if they've built an emulator that would work on Switch.

Putting Wii or WiiU games would be more like what they did on WiiU with Wii games. These are cases where they just ported the past game to the new console. Mostly commonly as a digital title. I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy that way and its awesome.

I think what this does is solidify the notion that even digital games are not going to be BC on NS. Where previously there was a possibility as they only stated physical BC. To me, this quote is more encompassing of a total no BC approach for any past system content.

Considering they also haven't talked about VC yet, I'm giving up on my hope that VC titles would just move over this time and instead think if/when VC is announced we'll see new features and thus a cost associated. Hopefully, this will be similar to WiiU and a low cost with decent new features (online play?). I do hope that it doesn't rollout slowly again. You'd think the core emulation and functionality could just be extended easily with whatever new feature they were adding. Also hope they don't keep losing fidelity from the original game.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Well, it's not a secret that Nintendo hates backwards compatibility.

I really hope you are joking with this right?

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

superchunk said:
I think you're confusing VC with BC.

Nah, it is pretty obvious that BC is impossible: The machine has no ports that would allow for physical media, and the architecture is so incredibly different that the only way they could do it without emulation would to have a segment of the SOC dedicated to the other systems (space that could instead host CUDA or ARM cores).

Given that BC is impossible, the only thing left to discuss is emulation and how they can improve the end user experience.

I hope we get 1080p Gamecube games.

caffeinade said:

You'll get 480p GC games and you'll like it.

Barkley said:
caffeinade said:

You know me so well...
Won't look half bad on a 6.2" screen.
Curl up into a ball and play some Smash.

Bandorr said:
Barkley said:

Probably lucky to get many GC games with the controllers using digital instead of analog.

I hear that makes racing any other games like that much harder.

I hope extra Joycon will remedy that failing.