By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the Switch!

Nintendo always did decently because their console was in a lot of cases, peoples second console. However this may change with the switch.

We can agree most people who bought an xbox one didn't buy a ps4 and most people who bought a ps4 didnt buy an xbox one. This is the case 99% of the time because no one wants to pay TWO online subscriptions.

The number 1 thing the wii U had going for it was free online. People will purposely not buy this gens nintendo console because they know they wont pay for online.

PAID ONLINE IS A HUGE PROBLEM FOR THE SWITCH

First of all the quality of their online service will not be as good as xbox live or psn.

Second, nintendo becomes less attractive as a second console.

Third, the switch will not have enough third party games to justify paying 60 dollars a year for online. Games like splatoon 2 will be empty and inactive mark my words!

Forth you guys always talk about pokemon saving the switch. Pokemons largest userbase are 8-12 year olds. Do you think they are going to pay for online service to play pokemon? I dont think so!

Around the Network

1. You know nothing of the Switch's online service to understand its value.
2. You ignore people who have netflix, hulu, amazon, cable, etc all at the same time.

People will pay for what they see has value. Nintendo has something MSony do not. 1st party games and a 30 year backlog of content.

Geralt said:

Nintendo always did decently because their console was in a lot of cases, peoples second console. However this may change with the switch.

We can agree most people who bought an xbox one didn't buy a ps4 and most people who bought a ps4 didnt buy an xbox one. This is the case 99% of the time because no one wants to pay TWO online subscriptions.

The number 1 thing the wii U had going for it was free online. People will purposely not buy this gens nintendo console because they know they wont pay for online.

First of all the quality of their online service will not be as good as xbox live or psn.

Third, the switch will not have enough third party games to justify paying 60 dollars a year for online. Games like splatoon 2 will be empty and inactive mark my words!

Forth you guys always talk about pokemon saving the switch. Pokemons largest userbase are 8-12 year olds. Do you think they are going to pay for online service to play pokemon? I dont think so!

Bolded: Yeah, and being a second console with free online worked out really well for the Wii U, didn't it?

Italicized: It's a good thing they're only charging 30 dollars, then, at most.

Underlined: Hahaha Pokémon's userbase is older than Call of Duty's. Most of the people who really care about Pokémon were kids in the late 90s, and are now in their 20s-30s, which is why Pokémon Go became the biggest mobile game ever.

We'll see! Time will tell!

Geralt said:

We don't how much paid online will be for the Nintendo Switch and you're already assuming that it will cost $60. There's a good chance that it will be a lot cheaper than the Xbox One and PS4.

Around the Network
Geralt said:
We'll see! Time will tell!

Thats the problem tho. We're so close to release date, yet there are so many things remained unclear.

http://kotaku.com/a-month-before-nintendo-switch-launches-we-really-shou-1792053110

It doesn't need to be, if the price is cheaper, it doesn't need to be on par

Not everyone buys a Nintendo console as a secondary console

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=225472&page=1

Do you need online to play Pokemon? Local co-op is good enough for 8-12 year olds

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Even if it hurt hardware sales, they'll be making revenue off of something that they were previously giving away for free. Even if some of the money goes to the service, they're certainly making some profit.

The primary objective is to make money, not necessarily to move hardware.

Nintendo fan since the 80s. I rarely play online. I'm just not the online type of gamer. Whenever I choose to play online is for a half an hour at most.

Well, people dont need to pay on switch, seems that online is just a secondary concern. the system and games are more designed to play local multiplayer, share the play wherever you go.people are buying because of that. i almost never played wii U online, took much more time playing with friends.
People not paying subscription dont mean people wont buy the console.

Also, is a 20 to 30$ subscription fee per year.