By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us: Did Joel make the right decision? (Spoilers)

Tagged games:

I got to say I lost all the respect and empathy I had for his character after he did that.  He brutally murdered dozens of people who were trying to do something to end the madness the world had become.  People who were trying to stop others from suffering the same fate HE suffered with his daughter.  At the end he was no better than all the bad people we had been fighting through all the game.

At the end I felt that he did not deserve Ellie.  Yes, he suffered the lost of his daughter, but I bet that every single one of the people he murdered had already lost someone too and had suffered as much as him.

Around the Network

His decision was based on emotion and greed. Should have been Ellie's decision.

Yes. I would have done the same thing.

Sorry everyone else, but you are not worth more than my hypothetical child. My love for my hypothetical child is way greater than my feeling to be altruistic. Yes, it is selfish; I don't care, it is my hypothetical child.

I think he did all things considered.

What I asked myself was what would Ellie have said if she was given the chance to choose for herself. And I don't think I could answer that. On the one hand, I think she really wanted to help with the cure, on the other hand she has a very strong sense of self preservation, and it is extremely hard for someone to make a decision to die for the greater good. So I don't think either Marlene or Joel were in a position to say what Ellie would want and then act accordingly.

Ethically Joel made the right decision to take Ellie away, because Ellie was being denied that most basic of rights when it comes to invasion of a person's body, which is consent. However, he made a terrible ethical mistake in choosing to lie to her, simply because he was afraid she would demand that he take her back to the fireflies and let her die for a cure, or that having lost that opportunity to return that she would reject and resent him for making such a decision for her. That's where Joel's selfishness came in IMO.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

he did, other wise we wouldn't have part II...

PS, yes the multiplayer is great, it's tremendous... i think is fantastic! It's the best MP in the world, the best! (read this last part with Trump voice)

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4