By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Rapists can now sue victims seeking abortions

eva01beserk said:
I looked up some info of what your talking about. I even went to wikipedia since you recomended it. What I saw was just more backing to my argument. 

this is what your source, wikipedia said about your nation

Indonesia[edit]

The United Nations Multi-country Study on Men and Violence studied three different sites of Indonesia (Jakarta, rural Java, and Jayapura). In the rural area, the lifetime prevalence of perpetration of rape towards a female/females was 19.5% and gang rape 7%. When rapists were asked why they perpetrated their last non-partner rape, 76.5% of the men in the three areas averaged cited sexual entitlement, 55.2% entertainment-seeking, and 29.7% anger/punishment.[41]

Even saudi arabia wich you praised so much has one of the highest unreported rape amounts in the world because women are afraid to come forth.

Lifetime prevalence is 19.5%, and that's in one rural area. By comparison, in the US, prevalence is about 17% (that's across the entire country).

But hey, good job trying to cast Indonesia as being particularly bad for it. Cherry-picking and ignoring both context and relative numbers is a good way to win an award for particularly blatant usage of logical fallacies.

Around the Network
UnderstatedCornHole said:

Well no not really, well not at all.

People have abortions because they are worried about the responsibility they will be taking on and the impact on their life.

Or....

Let's not mince words here and just be completely honest, they don't want to exchange their life for a load of hassle. That;s the reason, the only other reason for an abortion is health grounds and that is entirely a different discussion but that number is miniscule in comparison and cannot be mitigated socailly.

If you *knew* that any baby you are carrying will see a good home by adoption and there was going to be zero negative stigma from going through that process, and we weren't taught to be so suprstitious through media (for example where an adopted person "searches for her REAL parents...blah blah" I think most people and by most I mean almost all would be happy to go through pregnancy assuming they are already 4-6 weeks in.

I've been in a relationship where we had an abortion and I can tell you now, and - including talking to various people in support groups etc that 9/10 would be ok with that, or more. There is a massive stigma around adoption.

Anecdotal? Yep. Would you get better empyrical data by researching and asking a load of people who haven't had an abortion and blindly make this political? Nope.

People have abortions because they don't want their kids to have certain genes, the father isn't interested in raising the kid, and of course, their situation in life isn't suitable to have kids. This is why they use protection, but accidents happen.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Fake news is fake - there will be no case where a rapist successfully forces a mother to not have an abortion against her will.

The article is full of could be-would be dribble and should not be considered a legit news source.

thranx said:
wow. So much FUD and misinformation. it only allows the spouse. if you choose to marry a rapist, divorce them and you are fine. Not rapists, but the spouse. Women have this great tool they can use to avoid this issue, just sy no to marriage and you are OK. It is a CHOICE to get married. Heaven forbid your'e with someone long enough to determine they wont rape you before you marry them. And if you feel they will, perhaps choose to divorce them.

Most rape victims are raped by someone that they know, so it's a good chance that if a woman is raped that it's her spouse that did it.

numberwang said:

Fake news is fake - there will be no case where a rapist successfully forces a mother to not have an abortion against her will.

The article is full of could be-would be dribble and should not be considered a legit news source.

I'd love to see your definition of a legit news source. 

Around the Network

From the actual text of the bill, linked in the second paragraph of the article linked in the OP's post:

"20-16-1803. Ban on dismemberment abortion:
(d) This subchapter does not prohibit an abortion by any other method for any reason, including rape or incest."

Note: The only method addressed by the bill is dismemberment abortion.

Even if you didn't read the bill, the twitter quote from Mayberry, included in the article linked by OP, negates the need for this discussion:

"Woman is never held liable. No civil damages possible for someone guilty of criminal conduct. Read the bill. Protecting babies, not rapists"

Headline is dead wrong.

Primary sources foremost, not second-hand commentary in particular when they come with speculative and triggering headlines.

VGPolyglot said:
thranx said:
wow. So much FUD and misinformation. it only allows the spouse. if you choose to marry a rapist, divorce them and you are fine. Not rapists, but the spouse. Women have this great tool they can use to avoid this issue, just sy no to marriage and you are OK. It is a CHOICE to get married. Heaven forbid your'e with someone long enough to determine they wont rape you before you marry them. And if you feel they will, perhaps choose to divorce them.

Most rape victims are raped by someone that they know, so it's a good chance that if a woman is raped that it's her spouse that did it.

Can't help those that choose to be in that situation. They shouldn't marry people they think will rape them. I sure know it was one of my criteria. If they feel they raped them while in marriage, they can choose to divorce them, and than they can get their abortion. the law covers this scenario and allows abortion after divorce.

thranx said:
VGPolyglot said:

Can't help those that choose to be in that situation. They shouldn't marry people they think will rape them. I sure know it was one of my criteria. If they feel they raped them while in marriage, they can choose to divorce them, and than they can get their abortion. the law covers this scenario and allows abortion after divorce.

So, you're victim blaming, instead of blaming the rapist. That's great. Maybe they weren't raped until after they got married, or maybe they didn't realize until later that what was occurring in their relationship was not normal.

VGPolyglot said:
thranx said:

So, you're victim blaming, instead of blaming the rapist. That's great. Maybe they weren't raped until after they got married, or maybe they didn't realize until later that what was occurring in their relationship was not normal.

If that is the case, like I said in the post you quoted, they can get a divorce and then get an abortion. the law allows for that.