By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 has voice chat... "using smart devices"

The thing that is strange with the mobile app is there is a jack for a microphone/headset on the switch itself. So it makes me wonder if the use of the cell phone is to preform admin type items to the chat. (mute players, send invites, messages, etc.) This would help in clearing up UI clutter and having to "break away" from the game to do these items. Though that doesn't make how they are handling this any less convoluted.

Around the Network

Impressive how suddenly voice chat seems like an essential part to enjoy your games, despite most of us not using it at all, and how "terrible" is to have to use another device... despite the fact that everyone has that device in their pockets all the time.

This text is confusing though, it doesn't really say what the title of the thread says, I can't find the bit where it says "you need this app for voice chat", I personally rather wait to see how the internet stuff is gonna work before talking about ineptitude and shits like that, this place loves to jump on conclusion, specially if those conclusions are bad.

Goodnightmoon said:

Impressive how suddenly voice chat seems like an essential part to enjoy your games, despite most of us not using it at all, and how "terrible" is to have to use another device... despite the fact that everyone has that device in their pockets all the time.

This text is confusing though, it doesn't really say what the title of the thread says, I can't find the bit where it says "you need this app for voice chat", I personally rather wait to see how the internet stuff is gonna work before talking about ineptitude and shits like that, this place loves to jump on conclusion, specially if those conclusions are bad.

Or you know.. just put that thing on the device that every switch user has (guess what it is)

curl-6 said:

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/273077-splatoon-2-to-feature-voice-chat

I just don't understand why Nintendo seem to find it so hard to implement things their competitors have had down pat for so long. Xbox Live has had chat through the system itself since the original Xbox, but Nintendo can't do it on a system launching in 2017? It's like they go out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot.

Of Course that Nintendo can do that in 2017. (you said your self Xbox had that 15 years ago), but Nintendo is taking different approach, it seems they want to take use of smartphones that everyone had and to connect them more with their hardware.

I don't say that's good thing, but again we have here classic Nintendo where they managing things different than competition.

m_csquare said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Or you know.. just put that thing on the device that every switch user has (guess what it is)

Maybe is a way to save bandwitch and resources so the online on the go experience is less compromised? I don't really know, but while having it on the Switch looks like the ideal situation I struggle to see the big deal about cathing your phone and opening an app, is like 10 seconds and is not like you are gonna stop carrying your mobile once you get a Switch, everyone nowadays have a smartphone with them, even kids. And then there's also the possibility of this being an option instead of a requirement, no way to know it until they talk about it.  

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
m_csquare said:

Maybe is a way to save bandwitch and resources so the online on the go experience is less compromised? I don't really know, but while having it on the Switch looks like the ideal situation I struggle to see the big deal about cathing your phone and opening an app, is like 10 seconds and is not like you are gonna stop carrying your mobile once you get a Switch, everyone nowadays have a smartphone with them, even kids. And then there's also the possibility of this being an option instead of a requirement, no way to know it until they talk about it.  

Its impossible to say why they are doing it with an app, until they release the information on the app. Because it seems you will connect the headset to the switch normally. There is alot of unknowns about the service. There are several things it could be, and it ranges from Nintendo's usual wierd reasonings, to making it simpler to connect players playing on different systems. It's really pointless to ask why or come up with a good concession on wheather the move is stupid or not until the information is out.

As someone who always has smart devices at hand for many years it doesn't seem like an issue for me.. The only issue i have is having to pay subscription for it.

Well... this is still weird, at least

But I´d rather wait for the game to be available and people check it by themselves instead of jumping on conclusions. We all know, by now, that the Switch accept headsets, so voice chat is a possibility on it alone. It´s not just clear how this "app" thing will work.

Personally, I don´t miss voice chat during Splatoon matches, but for people who wants to get competitive, it really lacks.

Thank goodness I don't care about voice chat!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

Thank goodness I don't care about voice chat!

Because you don't have anyone to talk to anyway, or is that only me? :L