By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eiji Aonuma has confirmed that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will have no Loading Screens in the Overworld!

Tagged games:

mZuzek said:
irstupid said:

Yea, and the elevator rides.

As I mentioned earlier, Wind Waker had the ocean sailing as a loading trick. But really I think this should be fine and not have to had many tricks if any. It's not like link is riding a car going 100 mph or anything. Or bringing up Xenoblade X, running at 100 mph or flying a mech at 300 mph.

But I'm at work so can't youtube, but what is the 120 shrines loading effect. Do you load goign in and going out? Those woudl be the only times I woud guess loading times would happen.

Yes, I remember from the E3 gameplay there are loading times going in and out of shrines, and they were... actually kinda long (like at least 10 seconds). Still, I guess it's only a minor nuisance.

Hmm. Was E3 Wii U build I imagine. So hopefully only a few seconds for Switch then.

But either way, Shrines seem to be one and done things, so that's not so bad. I don't see any reason to ever re-enter them, if you even can after beating them. So no load times in the rest of the game is steller then.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
irstupid said:

Yea, and the elevator rides.

As I mentioned earlier, Wind Waker had the ocean sailing as a loading trick. But really I think this should be fine and not have to had many tricks if any. It's not like link is riding a car going 100 mph or anything. Or bringing up Xenoblade X, running at 100 mph or flying a mech at 300 mph.

But I'm at work so can't youtube, but what is the 120 shrines loading effect. Do you load goign in and going out? Those woudl be the only times I woud guess loading times would happen.

Yes, I remember from the E3 gameplay there are loading times going in and out of shrines, and they were... actually kinda long (like at least 10 seconds). Still, I guess it's only a minor nuisance.

Loading the game from the Switch menu takes 10-13 seconds. Loading the map within the game is 27 seconds, so that takes up roughly to 40 seconds to get to play the game. Loading Smash on Wii U before you could choose options was 42 seconds. That's a vast improvement, especially when there are no more loading times (except shrines) and a big ass overworld. And this is coming from this tiny handheld thing.

irstupid said:

But great news. I love no loading screens. Heck, I would ride my horse in Witcher 3 more often than quick traveling to not break immersion, even though on PC loading was not too bad.

FF15 had me drving the F*ing car everywhere cause loading times were insanely bad. Rather ride the car and gain a couple ap than watch a 2 minute loading screen.

Twilight Princess annoyed the hell out of me when horsing around open world and then it needing to load for next open world, or the like 5 different areas it loaded in Hyrule town. Was so hoping when TP HD was announced that the loading screens were removed. They could have kept same graphcis for all I cared, but remove all loading screens and game would be amazing.

But I hope this is for houses and towns. Hate in like games like Skyrim  where you are in this huge expansive world and then need to load screen some small house.

But that's fast travel. I assume fast travel still has a loading screen, as well as dying. Or maybe there is no fast travel.
I do hope it's not for houses. I tend to avoid going inside them when it means a loading screen like in Skyrim.

SvennoJ said:
irstupid said:

But great news. I love no loading screens. Heck, I would ride my horse in Witcher 3 more often than quick traveling to not break immersion, even though on PC loading was not too bad.

FF15 had me drving the F*ing car everywhere cause loading times were insanely bad. Rather ride the car and gain a couple ap than watch a 2 minute loading screen.

Twilight Princess annoyed the hell out of me when horsing around open world and then it needing to load for next open world, or the like 5 different areas it loaded in Hyrule town. Was so hoping when TP HD was announced that the loading screens were removed. They could have kept same graphcis for all I cared, but remove all loading screens and game would be amazing.

But I hope this is for houses and towns. Hate in like games like Skyrim  where you are in this huge expansive world and then need to load screen some small house.

But that's fast travel. I assume fast travel still has a loading screen, as well as dying. Or maybe there is no fast travel.
I do hope it's not for houses. I tend to avoid going inside them when it means a loading screen like in Skyrim.

I assume fast travel comment was referring to FF15? But yea it was fast travel. But the overworld was so poitless that it made you want to fast travel. In Witcher 3 I rarely ever fast traveled cause I enjoyed the environment, not to mention I would take travel time to grab a random ?. But FF15, was just boring. Even running around on Chocobo's was just boring. Nothign unique in the wolrd until you grab a "fetch quest" Witcher 3 you didn't need to grab the quest, you could stumble upon it. Sure you might miss out on some story telling/set up/ect, but you didn't need to talk to starting NPC to get the chest/monster/ect to load.  In FF15, when you get a fetch quest they would then sapwn, and usually in the place of some other monster spawning place.

Yes! That is great to hear!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

It's amazing how such a minor thing is so annoying.  Multiple transitions are something I dread so much despite not really being that long in reality.  I would always put off Thieves' guild missions in Skyrim because it required TWO(!) transitions to go in and out of the tavern.  

And, even though they take just as long or longer, I much prefer methods that hide transitions, like elevators.

Hiku said:
Ljink96 said:
So I expect that going into houses won't require loading times either, that's great. I kind of hoped it would be like that after seeing the woodcutter's house in the demo. I know Nintendo's hiding so much from us, can't wait to see what this game has to offer!

You think? I know Skyrim usually has no loading times on the map (except if you fast travel), but entering houses does.
Same thing in Dragon Age 3.

I think it's possible. Especially if Nintendo wants to make it a truly seamless experience. Similar games like Dragon Quest XI have seamless entry into buildings and structures so I think it's possible, then again that game's running on PS4 not Switch/Wii U.

I always assumed that it wouldn't have loading times, but it's nice to hear confirmation.

Transitions in and out of buildings is something that depends a lot on how the game is structured. Games like Fallout/Skyrim, you sometimes want a barrier to keep the experiences from bleeding into one another. For example, you don't want everyone inside a fort to come running when you're fighting everyone already on the outside. Other things you might want to keep isolated are target NPCs, quest givers, and quest items, especially when random dragons or vampires can attack at any moment. Those games also have a ton of items to manage inside RAM, which probably won't be the case with Zelda.

Good, good

Hopefully the load times into the overworld won't be too long

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]