By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that ruined entire franchises

Halo 4 ruined Halo for me. Not a bad game by any means, but it set forth the CODification that was soon followed by Halo 5.

EDIT: Can't forget Paper Mario of course.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS

Around the Network

This might be an obscure one, but...

Metal Gear: Acid 2.

I actually really loved Metal Gear Acid for the PSP, and then picked up Acid 2 because of how much time I dumped in the first one.

The story was horrible, the art style was like a mid-90s Marvel comic (Snake wore a leather jacket IIRC...), and the stupid shoehorned "3D" was such a waste of time.

And the Acid series was no more.

Tomb Raider 2013. It only went downhill since then.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

That Front Mission shooter, Evolved, yeks =(

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Halo: Reach for me.
But after Halo 3, how was that really going to be topped?

I still buy the game on every release though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

FFXIII. I was there since the OG FF on NES. FFXIII makes me ashamed that I loved the franchise. It somehow found a way to counter the awesomeness of FF4 and FF6.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
JWeinCom said:
Arkham Knight: Every time I want to go out and do some fun Batman stuff I have to spend about an hour finding a place to park my damn car.

?????

I totally agree that Knight is the worst in the series and has a lot of problems, but you know you can just jump out of the car at any time, right?

Most of the missions  (as far as I got before I gave up) force you to use the car to winch down a door or charge something.  So, you have to bring your car, and then you'll have to find a way to get it to wherever it is you want to go.

Pokémon Gen 5 made me lose quite a bit of passion for the series.

I know they aren't bad games, in fact I like the story in BW most, but I was only able to finish Pokémon White because White 2 was coming out, and I couldn't even finish White 2, I just headed straight to Gen 6.

Thankfully I found Y and Moon more fun, but ever since Gen 5 I never really got into post game anymore.

Mr Puggsly said:
SolidSnack said:
Dead Space 3, though it seems EA isn't to keen on maintaining franchises that don't fit comfortably into a certain envelope

I really don't understand why this game is so hated. It was the most fun I had with the series.

Not scary enough?

Just a general 3rd person shooter with horrible dialogue. And it happened to be called Dead Space. And it did serve to kill the franchise.

Easy ...

FF XII - This is where FF arguably started going in the direction detrimental to the series. FF XIII and FF XV fixed some things but the damage is already done. (I don't find FF XIII all that repulsive it was a return to FF X in some ways.)

DmC - What do I even have to say about this ? I don't know what Ninja Theory was thinking with putting in dumb gameplay design and control design decisions, cheesy as hell plot, and almost none of the characters have redeeming qualities either when the protag, his brother, along with the main villain suck so much ...