By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, Trump's ban on certain nationalities is in effect.

Your opinion on the ban

Good! 145 35.02%

Get rid of this as fast as possible. 200 48.31%

Needs more exceptions 25 6.04%

List needs to be redone 44 10.63%

Total:414

Heard of people getting stuck at airports, Iranians pissed who have been studying abroad.

Oh well, hatred growing, expect some attacks from within Mr. Trump.

Around the Network
NewGuy said:
Jazz2K said:
I think USA could have the right to ban anyone they want in exchange of not doing any kind of business with these countries. Why would the US benefit from the banned countries ressources and wealth.

There has been some retaliations from some countries (i.e. Americans can't go into Iran). No one wants to start a trade war over this.

palou said:
So, it's confirmed that the person I know won't be able to enter the US, and thus just lost himself a post-doc at MIT (extremely important to his career.) Fuck Trump, no consideration whatsoever of how these decisions can ruin lives of normal individuals. Also Americans, without a doubt, considering that there has been a response banning of American citizens in some countries.

Why can't your friend come in? Is he from one of these countries? The ban is for 90 or 120 days. I'm not sure how that completely takes away your friend's ability to go to MIT at a later day. I'm sure he can work with the university and explain the situation.

A Post-doc is to be considered like a job (it's a transition between academics and the job market for people in research). Getting one at MIT is not easy, and it is not guarenteed that he will keep it. He is of course keeping contact with the University. MIT did actually attempt to help him (suspecting something like this would happen) and suggested him to come earlier on Thursday. He rebooked his flight a week earlier, for tomorrow - a day too late. It's not unlikely that the peculiar situation will allow him to go there anyways, but the uncertainty and waiting is less than pleasant, considering how important this is for his career.

He is an Iranian national. Not religious in the slightest, got himself a PHD in mathematics in Montreal. There's really no reason at all to believe that he is remotely dangerous.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Asghar Farhadi, an Iranian director who got oscar nominated for the movie "The Salesman" can't attend the oscar ceremony. :P

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

palou said:
NewGuy said:

There has been some retaliations from some countries (i.e. Americans can't go into Iran). No one wants to start a trade war over this.

Why can't your friend come in? Is he from one of these countries? The ban is for 90 or 120 days. I'm not sure how that completely takes away your friend's ability to go to MIT at a later day. I'm sure he can work with the university and explain the situation.

A Post-doc is to be considered like a job (it's a transition between academics and the job market for people in research). Getting one at MIT is not easy, and it is not guarenteed that he will keep it. He is of course keeping contact with the University. MIT did actually attempt to help him (suspecting something like this would happen) and suggested him to come earlier on Thursday. He rebooked his flight a week earlier, for tomorrow - a day too late. It's not unlikely that the peculiar situation will allow him to go there anyways, but the uncertainty and waiting is less than pleasant, considering how important this is for his career.

He is an Iranian national. Not religious in the slightest, got himself a PHD in mathematics in Montreal. There's really no reason at all to believe that he is remotely dangerous.

This works both ways, MIT now lose a valuable and intelligent employee. As you said, it's not easy to get into MIT so for them to offer him a job suggests they think he has a lot to offer. 

This is so ridiculously damaging for all parties. 

It's absolutely disgusting. The fact that there are people here defending it sickens me. There are people who live and work in America who cannot come home, because of this law. Just because they come from one of these countries.
There is a Danish politician who might not be able to go to the US to do something work related. He has Danish citizenship, but he was born in Syria and that is enough to not being welcome in the US.

How is this good for the US? Treating other countries like that?

This is a racist law! There is no other way to describe it. The US will not get through this unpunished.

Around the Network
Vinther1991 said:

It's absolutely disgusting. The fact that there are people here defending it sickens me. There are people who live and work in America who cannot come home, because of this law. Just because they come from one of these countries.
There is a Danish politician who might not be able to go to the US to do something work related. He has Danish citizenship, but he was born in Syria and that is enough to not being welcome in the US.

How is this good for the US? Treating other countries like that?

This is a racist law! There is no other way to describe it. The US will not get through this unpunished.

Are you Cenk Uyurk? Stop labeling everything as racist and let's have a discussion. You shouldn't be sickened by people who have a different point of view and should instead debate them. 

This is a temporary ban on a number of countries who were already restricted from the VISA waiver program list from the DHS (that happened under Obama) given that they are deemed as dangerous and terrorist haven countries. This ban is also temporary, except for Syrian refugees, so we can figure out a better, more thorough vetting process so that we don't allow bad people and terrorists in our country.

There is nothing stopping this Danish politician from going (banned country) -> Denmark or random EU city -> US. He might even be able to go straight from (banned country) -> US given his danish citizenship.

I am for it because - as I mentioned above - those countries are all part of the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act from 2015 that the DHS deemed to be dangerous, terrorist haven countries. I don't know about you, but I don't want terrorists in my country, if possible. It is not unconstitutional and it is not a ban on muslims as it is a ban on 7 out of ~60 countries with a > 50% muslim population. Even if we say 7/50 countries, that's only 14%. Completely reasonable and I wish the  list was actually longer.

Banning immigration. Releasing lists to demonize a demographic. Attacking the media. These are all the sorts of things the Nazis did to control their population and gain power. What will be the thing that makes people realize this government is fascist? Before you start getting angry? When they take control of the internet (which he said he wants to)? When he creates laws for attacking media outlets that criticize him (which he said he wants to)? If you realize all of this and still support the man, you are no longer an American. You are the same as the Nazis. You are on the wrong side of history.

This is another case of fragile, insecure white people. The country is changing and they can't deal with it. If only they knew that nothing can stop it... maybe they'd find something else to be delusional about. Maybe.

Poojipoo said:
Banning immigration. Releasing lists to demonize a demographic. Attacking the media. These are all the sorts of things the Nazis did to control their population and gain power. What will be the thing that makes people realize this government is fascist? Before you start getting angry? When they take control of the internet (which he said he wants to)? When he creates laws for attacking media outlets that criticize him (which he said he wants to)? If you realize all of this and still support the man, you are no longer an American. You are the same as the Nazis. You are on the wrong side of history.

Only 27% of our population voted for this piece of shit. I'm not concerned. Either he will get assasinated, impeached or swiftly voted out of office in four years because a huge chunk of that 50%, non-voter base is going to make sure they put an end to him.

I'm just going to sit back, try to grit my teeth and be patient. Time will erase this clown.

pray4mojo said:
This is another case of fragile, insecure white people. The country is changing and they can't deal with it. If only they knew that nothing can stop it... maybe they'd find something else to be delusional about. Maybe.

Wow, what a disgusting comment. And I wonder who caused those changing demograhics? Maybe politicans who have been bringing in millions of people from third world nations where the ones who caused it? I mean America faces racial tention that is dividing the country, but only white people can be racist, so...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).