???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542

It looks like the Wii 3.0

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Volterra_90 said:
The fact that some people still think that gens are defined with consoles' horsepower kind of saddens me. Yep, Switch is a 9th gen console, I agree. There aren't reasons to think otherwise.

To bad then if Switch is 9th gen . Apple and Andorid has release their 9th product  a head , if you think gen is not define by spec. 

You do know back in the day people did refer to each iPOD release as new generation. 

fatslob-:O said:

Neither is the Master System but you don't see me arguing that it isn't a successor to the SG-1000 despite the clear differences in the library ... 

Your logic is nothing more than cognitive dissonance when it isn't even self consistent ... 

Why the sudden change you ask ? Weell maybe it's because the successor to PS4 and X1 aren't even on the horizon! Like I said before, it's not unprecedented to release a new platform in the same generation ... 

Because the Master System is an actual successor to the SG-1000 and not an upgrade as evidenced by it's library it serves an example for the future generation like the Switch ... 

Your original arguement was the Master System was part of the 4th gen despite it being a new console. You used this view to compare it to Nintendo's new console (Switch) when in fact the Master System wasn't a new console. The Master System was known as the MK-III (an upgrade to the SG-2000 in Japan) that was then rebranded as the Master System and launched world wide 3 months later after it launched as the MK-III in Japan, hence why it was still part of the 4th generation. It all adds up perfectly and unfortunately it completely undermines your arguement that the Switch and Master System situations are the same because the Switch is not a rebranding of a 3 month old console; the Switch is not releasing one year after the Wii U.

My logic has not changed at all so where is the cognitive dissonance taking place? First you say I'm offering up cognitive bias - which I'm clearly not considering the facts that I have presented and how I've stuck by them - now it's on to cognitive dissonance. Display to me where I have been inconsistant in my arguement, please.

The Switch hasn't even released yet. The average cycle is 5 years and we are already into the fourth year for PS4 and Xbox One, fifth year for the generation. The PS4 will still sell quite well after the PS5 releases since its sales replicate that of the PS2 which sold incredible amounts after the launch of the 7 generation. It's not unprecedented that Sony and MS will release successors in the next 3 years.

SpokenTruth said:
Once more for the people in the back....

It's interesting that so many of you have a subjective notion of what a generation is when an industry accepted definition already exist.

A generation is demarcated simply by the predecessor/successor relationship of flagship consoles.

You do not get to decide what generation Nin Switch belongs to. It's 9th generation because it is.

Trust me people see this but they ignore it. This is as clear a definition as you can get.

Acevil said:
HollyGamer said:

To bad then if Switch is 9th gen . Apple and Andorid has release their 9th product  a head , if you think gen is not define by spec. 

You do know back in the day people did refer to each iPOD release as new generation. 

then the new Aplle what ever it is called it's surpased all consoles generation LOL 

Around the Network

I personaly think it is gen 8.5, like ps4 pro and scorpio, and generation like we know is not the same anymore.

But there is a great chart that an user (cant remember who, but has a megaman avatar) made, that shows generations lasting for long times and interleaving each other. Maybe we started 9th gen and we still dont know.

DonFerrari said:

Nope it isn't.

NVidia Shield, the chinese HH, PSVita/PSP is making the same... and as I said, unless you show anything done on Switch that is totally impossible in any 8th gen platform then maybe we can concede, but no technology in Switch so far is allowing new different games.

Two examples, ARMS motion control at the level it is done in that game, The games only HD Rumble can provide

Well, it will have been just over 6 years since they made a new portable platform since the 3DS and about 4.5 years since they released a new non-portable platform (Wii U).

The switch is more powerful than both of those 8th gen platforms and runs games designed very differently, so overall, I would at minimum call it Next Gen based on those observations.

And, most Consoles thus far have a new console releasing after 5 to 7 years on market, so this all seems quite business as usual.

What I am curious about is will vgchartz.com track the Switch on the front page, or will vgchartz wait till PS5 and Xbox4 come out?

I just consider it a new Nintendo generation, which it is.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Conina said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Are you trying to imply that I'm not from the same generation as my grandfather even though we're the same height?

Oh, do we do comparisons to generations of people now? Cool!

A1 and B1 are both born in 1870. A1 gets successors every 20 years, B1 every 35 years.

So A2 is born in 1890, A3 in 1910, A4 in 1930, A5 in 1950, A6 in 1970, A7 in 1990 and A8 in 2010... so A8 is the 8th familial generation.
In the other family B2 is born in 1905, B3 in 1940, B4 in 1975 and B5 in 2010... so B5 is the 5th familial generation.

But there are also social generations:

A3 and B2 are both part of the "G. I. generation" with a similar cultural identity.
A4 and B3 are both part of the "Silent generation / Lucky few" with a similar cultural identity.
A5 is part of the "Baby boomers generation", family B skipped that gen.
A6 and B4 are both part of the "Generation X" with a similar cultural identity.
A7 is part of the "Generation Y / Millennial generation", family B skipped that gen.
A8 and B5 are both part of the "Generation Z / Post-Millennials / iGeneration" with a similar cultural identity.

Do you think it matters much to A8 and B5 (or to their friends, family, collegues...) that they are 3 familial generations apart?

So of course the Switch is Nintendo's next generation. It ain't even compatible to the WiiU and 3DS software, there is a clear break. It is Nintendo's 7th "familial" generation (or the 9th generation if we go by the popular classification of GC+GBA as 6th gen, Wii+DS as 7th gen and WiiU+3DS as 8th gen).

But similar to the shift from familial generations to social generations if you look at the big picture, the familial generations of consoles also lose importance. "Namen sind Schall und Rauch"... names are hollow words. It doesn't really matter if the Switch gets classified as 9th gen, 8th gen or 8.5 gen. Its classification won't help or hurt, the competition to it stays the same: PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Scorpio, iOS and Android.

Whoa there. I ain't no fancy number scientist. All I know is that people in the 1870s were real dumb if they called their kids A1 and B1.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!